• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Wannabe SH in Seacoast NH

nhrugga

Hi all,
I've spent a few days lurking and learning. I am still a relatively new hunter, or at this point I just call it like it is, a fully armed and tactical slow moving hiker. I am just rife with questions but I'll try and find most of my answers reading the threads. There are a couple of things I am curious about though right off.. are there any/many here that have hunted crossbow out of the saddle?

I finally said the heck with missing the whole of deer season in NH because I'm unable to pull a bow and I submitted for my disabled crossbow permit. I have trick shoulders and the mechanics just won't allow me to pull a bow with any consistency at the state minimum of 40lbs. I'm still waiting for my Tenpoint Shadow NXT to arrive (any day now). It seems viable to hunt this crossbow because it's so crazy narrow.

In light of Redsquirrel's post about people locally possibly willing to meet up and let a prospective saddle hunter check out the gear, I am putting it out there that I would love the opportunity to check out some gear. I have bounced back and forth on attempting a bit of DIY and purchasing some used arborist gear but after reading and seeing how quickly these items sell here on the forum It may just be best to invest initially in the Kestrel.

I am fascinated and focused on the benefits of saddle hunting. I can only hunt public at this time and I am just disgusted at the small areas I have available to me and the people that I have to share with that will chase you off with BS lies but overlook that their stands have been up well past the take down dates and the screw in steps weren't really a rule for them etc.. I'd like the ability to just hump in and hump out everything I need and leave a near zero trace of my existence.

Hi all,
I've spent a few days lurking and learning. I am still a relatively new hunter, or at this point I just call it like it is, a fully armed and tactical slow moving hiker. I am just rife with questions but I'll try and find most of my answers reading the threads. There are a couple of things I am curious about though right off.. are there any/many here that have hunted crossbow out of the saddle?

I finally said the heck with missing the whole of deer season in NH because I'm unable to pull a bow and I submitted for my disabled crossbow permit. I have trick shoulders and the mechanics just won't allow me to pull a bow with any consistency at the state minimum of 40lbs. I'm still waiting for my Tenpoint Shadow NXT to arrive (any day now). It seems viable to hunt this crossbow because it's so crazy narrow.

In light of Redsquirrel's post about people locally possibly willing to meet up and let a prospective saddle hunter check out the gear, I am putting it out there that I would love the opportunity to check out some gear. I have bounced back and forth on attempting a bit of DIY and purchasing some used arborist gear but after reading and seeing how quickly these items sell here on the forum It may just be best to invest initially in the Kestrel.

I am fascinated and focused on the benefits of saddle hunting. I can only hunt public at this time and I am just disgusted at the small areas I have available to me and the people that I have to share with that will chase you off with BS lies but overlook that their stands have been up well past the take down dates and the screw in steps weren't really a rule for them etc.. I'd like the ability to just hump in and hump out everything I need and leave a near zero trace of my existence.
You've definitely come to the right place. There are a few crossbow guys on here. I have used a rifle for years with no problem. The biggest trick is finding a good way to hang your crossbow from the tree.

Lots of good guys here and even more knowledge. Ask away, someone will be able to help you.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Welcome, I live up in Brookfield by lake winnepausaukee and work down in Portsmouth. I have both an aero Evo and a kestrel and multiple step setups. If your interested in meeting to see some of my gear let me know.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Welcome to the site! You will find all the info you need here. You can work out a system and use a crossbow in a saddle. My father has been using a crossbow for the past 9 years and he has gone back to using a saddle exclusively for the past 3.

Welcome, I live up in Brookfield by lake winnepausaukee and work down in Portsmouth. I have both an aero Evo and a kestrel and multiple step setups. If your interested in meeting to see some of my gear let me know.

Most Definitely!! I would love to check it out. Thanks very much in advance

I should change the title of this thread to “Gonna be another saddle hunter in NH”. I got to meet up with Pats1512 and just a huge public shout out and thank you for taking the time to show me all of your gear. I truly appreciate it like you couldn’t believe. Pat let me hang from a tree in my backyard while I flopped around and mocked up with my crossbow to get a feel. I’m amazed at the comfort level of the Kestrel. We shot the guff about northeast deer hunting and I got to vent a bit about some of the discourteous hunters I’ve met in the rather small public places I have hunted in my tiny WMU. At one point I realized I was still wearing it and all I can say is I’m sold. Now I just have to find a way to either ship to a buddy’s house or convince my wife that I’d be saving a ton of money on stand alone tree stands and whatnot. I already had a couple of turkey decoys hidden in my shop next to the ozone generators that she hasn’t seen yet…She is still simmering down from my recent crossbow purchase. I’m frothing at the mouth now waiting for my opportunity to purchase a Kestrel. Again Thank You so much You Rock Pats1512!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No problem! I'm glad it helped. It's hard to get the idea of saddle hunting without trying it and unfortunately there is still no place to do that. It was good talking hunting with you too! Don't hesitate if you have any other questions or want to see anything else

Sorry hit the post key!!!!!

Already experienced the great hospitality of these guys, it’s a great place to learn and share ideas

Sorry hit the post key!!!!!

Already experienced the great hospitality of these guys, it’s a great place to learn and share ideas
Yeah No Doubt!! ...Now if I could change the title of my original post it would read more like "Gonnabe SH in Seacoast NH". Thanks to the generosity of Pats1512 to swing by and let me hang out in his gear from a tree in my yard, I went ahead and just pulled the trigger on the whole shebang. I should be hanging out in the woods, quite literally, very soon. Now I have to find the time to finish fabbing out my steps for climbing and working on a good hanger for my crossbow. Man Oh Man I'm excited for September!!

I'm excited for you. You're gonna love that new Saddle!

Sent from my Galaxy S8.
Geesh..this is like a brush with fame here. I won't even lie man it's a huge hat tip to your Youtube videos and podcast that got me into researching this technique initially, which then led me into a great community of hunters here on this forum. Big thanks to you personally, keep up the vids and podcast etc...rank amateurs like myself appreciate them

We're all just a bunch of saddle nerds trying to help the community get faster, lighter, and safer. Glad you're joining the herd!

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

I seriously can’t sleep. It’s 21:30 and I should have been asleep an hour ago. My UPS tracking code indicates arrival tomorrow for my saddle. Unfortunately there was an email earlier today that they may have left a carabiner out of the package but damn if I don’t just swing on down to EMS and buy one off the shelf. I should be hanging in the back yard by tomorrow evening if I can get out of my wife’s plans for the evening. Now I just need to figure out the rest of hanging my gear etc. in leaning towards the bull man steps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have all been there waiting patiently...or not so patiently. Take the wife out to sit another day you will need the points in the fall...wait who am I kidding, wives dont use any point systems...lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back