• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What do you guys do for scent control on bows and sticks?

JWS

I've always used sprays but they always seem to leave residual and a mild scent of their own after several uses. Tried several varieties. Bought a little ozone machine and threw the muddy sticks in a Tupperware with it which seemed to help but haven't tried with the bow. A little concerned about damaging the string etc and if repeated use will affect the rope on the sticks.

I wouldn't use ozone on a bow. Or anything with straps or rubber. That's just from what I've read and heard.

I don't practice any scent control so I can't help you there.

I wouldn't use ozone on a bow. Or anything with straps or rubber. That's just from what I've read and heard.

I don't practice any scent control so I can't help you there.
x2, don't use it on anything with rubber, it will break down the rubber.

My scent control on those things is I basically don't handle them with bare hands, and periodically air them out. Bow goes into a hard case which periodically gets aired out. I bought some ziplock vacuum bags to store my sticks. The lone wolfs were too big for them, I have to see if my modified heliums will fit in them.

I have washed the straps to my sticks by hand before. Metal, plastic, rubber... I don't worry about them absorbing scent like webbing or rope does. Yes, I've smelled a pickle bucket after it has been washed a dozen times. But I don't think the end caps on my LW's suck up enough 'storage' scent that a day or two hanging doesn't cure. If you are worried about them, then I'd use the same stuff or any odorless soap to remove everything the best you can, and then hang them outside.

I've never done anything to mine lol. Only thing scent wise I do is smoke my clothes, pack and saddle. The rest I don't worry about.

I wear scentlok that is cared for above and beyond manufacturer suggestions but use sprays sparingly and only on items that don't contain activated carbon, or that I can't or won't store in an airtight container - specifically on rubber boots and occasionally my hunting caliper release. Read my posts in this thread if you want to know my process: http://saddlehunter.com/community/index.php?threads/scentlok-base-layer.702/#post-6710

If you're not into going to those lengths I totally understand. That's the great thing about hunting each and every person can do it in the way it pleases them.

I spray my bow, sticks, etc liberally with Carbon Synergy or other coconut based activated carbon mixed with water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm I somehow missed the entire post title. I'll address the question actually asked:

For my bow I wipe the entire riser any stabilizers my site housing quiver and arrows down with dead downwind feild wipes. I also have a rubber wrist sling from game plan gear that I also wiped down.

For my sticks I just spray them liberally with scent spray and that's about it. If

I leave my sticks outside for a month before the hunt. Sun UV kills organic organic odors and most microbes.

I use my scent lok gloves while putting them on the tree and off.

I use a $100 ozone machine from amazon and put it in a room in my shed and turn it on between hunts

Just remember ozone in hard on rubber and will reduce the life span of any rubber parts

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back