• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What do you use

Apex7

SH Member
What do you use compound, traditional, or crossbow for saddlehunting? I use a compound most of the time and sometimes a crossbow.

Recurve only. I hunt with a rifle out west or if I need meat sometimes but the single string is what I love.

Compound, rifle. Once I get the hang of things a little better I intend on going compound during gun season.

Compound and muzzleloader. Once in a while I’ll take the shotgun but I don’t think I’ve shot one with it in over 15 years.

I use compound, muzzleloader and rifle. But I enjoy bo hunting the most. Something about the close and personal aspect that is really enjoyable. And the hunting pressure in bow season is much less.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I just remembered a friend of mine made me a longbow a few years ago and it's sitting in my hunting closest. Hr is really great at making bows and arrows and broadheads. Maybe I have to get it out and match some arrows to it and shoot it.

Bow during bow season. Gun the rest of the season.really enjoy the bow. However with so few trophy class bucks in the areas I hunt.i don't want to loose an opportunity once guns season starts. This morning it will be the cannon(aka 300 ultra mag)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Longbow and compound. I’ve never hunted with anything else. Not against it, just the way I was raised.

I have hunted for the past 25+ years with a single string bow, except for 3 different compounds. I have never retained a compound for longer than two weeks of sucessfully killing something with it - sold them. For me, there was a different 'feeling' that I experienced with it.
Well, I miss the extended accuracy that a compound enables me, and I have passed on plenty of deer for not feeling like the shot opportunity felt optimal when in the stand holding one of my recurves; I have never felt sorry for doing so.

Earlier this month I bought a PSE Vendetta VX, slapped a Hamskea Hybrid Pro rest on it along with a single pin slider and I can shoot it wicked good to a considerable range. I am going to keep this one, recently shooting a respectable buck with it probably helped my decision.
I intend to continue to shoot recurves for 3D and poke holes in the center of paper with them, but they will share some range time with their newest brother made by PSE. I intend to hunt with this compound for a while.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

9 times out of 10 it's my compound occasionally my rifle but it's rare.... all though I do have taking a deer with a pistol on my bucket list

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used the compound for 6 or 7 years but the past 2 years have just been the longbow! It is a blast and saddle hunting is the only reason I was able to take a buck this year. Last year I was mostly lock on stand hunting and could not get them close enough. This year... I am not eating tag soup! I have not use my pistol from a saddle so that might be fun to. Strap it to my leg and carry nothing into the woods in my hands. Might be nice!

For the past 12 years I've hunted with my compound only while hunting in NC (hunt around a lot of subdivisions and don't want to draw unwanted attention, plus I prefer bow over gun it's just more satisfying for me)... However for the past couple years I've been making 2 trips up to southern OH every Nov., bowhunt the beginning of Nov and then return after Thanksgiving for the shotgun opener (the gun opener for me is more about enjoying the time with my hunting buddies that only gun hunt)... Other than that bowhunting is my passion or obsession as my wife would say

Back