• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What happened to me this year?

halltrail

OK, I started this post because I'm reading up on the kestrel. I'm thinking, I should buy one and try it. But, I have an evo aero hunter already. Used it on about 60% of my hunts the year before. I also have a GW. But I barely used either this past season. I did have a great season this year. I took 14 deer. No wall hangers this year though.

So was this just an odd year for me? I only used my aero hunter 2 times out of about 85+ hunts. I didnt use the GW at all. I mostly used a lonewolf assualt with a Huntcomfort outpost gel seat pad. The Huntcomfort was crucial. I can hunt in that setup all day. I used to love that NT saddle and I can take the best naps ever in the GW it is so comfy. But, i did prefer the smaller package of the evo for long walks.

A few things that caused me to grab the Lonewolf this year:

1: I made one of those (xop) platforms which I really liked and made shooting out of the saddle a lot better for those unplanned for shots...far right side or behind you. But when I added the weight of the platform, saddle, back support pad, and two or three screw ins, and knee pads...I was pretty much at the same weight of the lonewolf assault.

2. I could drop using the platform...but 50% of the time deer seem to come in a way that they shouldn't. I seem to always take more than a few deer that come in downwind of me for some reason..Or setup with a well used trail off to my left but they come in off the trail and to my right. I hunt in MD...we have good deer numbers but they are under a good amount of pressure. On public land you will never get away with trying to move around too much..you cant even do it on private. No way you can move to get a shot off behind you with the foot work you have to do on just screw ins. You have a much better chance spinning on a platform...and I have been successful doing that. So if I drop the platform, I risk not being able to get a shot.

3. I did drop using the platform last year for a while and went with the balls to wood ...straddle the tree and just 3 screw ins and a the back support strap...that was pretty comfortable..but I often had to move more than I wanted to get into shooting position with deer in close. By the way, straddling the tree is pretty comfy...I had to go this method because my feet on screw ins start to hurt and knees get very sore up against tree even with pads. I did make some custom tree hopper bolts with welded on platforms that did helped my feet...but added weight.

4. I had a lot of weird trees to hunt out of this year...a lot of them had strong leans that to me make hunting out of the saddle uncomfortable. If tree is leaning away from you ....you are forced into the tree and harder to get into shooting positon. Tree leaning in to you just sucks trying to move between screw ins. Leaning sideways is also difficult. The lonewolf can be setup on all types of leans...left right forward and aft...although a forward leaning tree is not very comfortable due to angle your back is at.

5. I really like the saddle with one stick climb or spurs....but I always repel down when using those two methods...so that does add some weight with 35' rope and grigri....but it is a great run and gun setup...but Im able to do that setup just as well with lonewolf assault.

6. late season cold weather. Bulky clothes..i feel I can move a lot quieter in a hang on over the saddle. I also like to use an IWOM on the nastiest of weather days...but this isnt a deal killer for me because Ive always just not used the saddle in those late season conditions...25 degrees and below.

Where did I go wrong...lol. I feel guilty for not using the saddle more...it is such a great tool and now im reading up on the newer version...thinking I should buy it and try it. Maybe I need a push to get over my issues...lol. I guess, I could pull out the evo and spend some time in it while scouting now that deer season is over.

Any one else switch back and forth between saddle and hang on for similar reasons? I know the saddle is a great tool....I love the cover of being behind the tree.

Trade your safety harness for a Kestrel for the benefits that it offers and use your lock on stand for a platform for the benefits that it offers. Combing the two, offers the best of each.

OK, I started this post because I'm reading up on the kestrel. I'm thinking, I should buy one and try it. But, I have an evo aero hunter already. Used it on about 60% of my hunts the year before. I also have a GW. But I barely used either this past season. I did have a great season this year. I took 14 deer. No wall hangers this year though.

So was this just an odd year for me? I only used my aero hunter 2 times out of about 85+ hunts. I didnt use the GW at all. I mostly used a lonewolf assualt with a Huntcomfort outpost gel seat pad. The Huntcomfort was crucial. I can hunt in that setup all day. I used to love that NT saddle and I can take the best naps ever in the GW it is so comfy. But, i did prefer the smaller package of the evo for long walks.

1: I made one of those (xop) platforms which I really liked and made shooting out of the saddle a lot better for those unplanned for shots...far right side or behind you. But when I added the weight of the platform, saddle, back support pad, and two or three screw ins, and knee pads...I was pretty much at the same weight of the lonewolf assault.

2. I could drop using the platform...but 50% of the time deer seem to come in a way that they shouldn't. I seem to always take more than a few deer that come in downwind of me for some reason..Or setup with a well used trail off to my left but they come in off the trail and to my right. I hunt in MD...we have good deer numbers but they are under a good amount of pressure. On public land you will never get away with trying to move around too much..you cant even do it on private. No way you can move to get a shot off behind you with the foot work you have to do on just screw ins. You have a much better chance spinning on a platform...and I have been successful doing that. So if I drop the platform, I risk not being able to get a shot.

3. I did drop using the platform last year for a while and went with the balls to wood ...straddle the tree and just 3 screw ins and a the back support strap...that was pretty comfortable..but I often had to move more than I wanted to get into shooting position with deer in close. By the way, straddling the tree is pretty comfy...I had to go this method because my feet on screw ins start to hurt and knees get very sore up against tree even with pads. I did make some custom tree hopper bolts with welded on platforms that did helped my feet...but added weight.

4. I had a lot of weird trees to hunt out of this year...a lot of them had strong leans that to me make hunting out of the saddle uncomfortable. If tree is leaning away from you ....you are forced into the tree and harder to get into shooting positon. Tree leaning in to you just sucks trying to move between screw ins. Leaning sideways is also difficult. The lonewolf can be setup on all types of leans...left right forward and aft...although a forward leaning tree is not very comfortable due to angle your back is at.

5. I really like the saddle with one stick climb or spurs....but I always repel down when using those two methods...so that does add some weight with 35' rope and grigri....but it is a great run and gun setup...but Im able to do that setup just as well with lonewolf assault.

6. late season cold weather. Bulky clothes..i feel I can move a lot quieter in a hang on over the saddle. I also like to use an IWOM on the nastiest of weather days...but this isnt a deal killer for me because Ive always just not used the saddle in those late season conditions...25 degrees and below.

Where did I go wrong...lol. I feel guilty for not using the saddle more...it is such a great tool and now im reading up on the newer version...thinking I should buy it and try it. Maybe I need a push to get over my issues...lol. I guess, I could pull out the evo and spend some time in it while scouting now that deer season is over.

Any one else switch back and forth between saddle and hang on for similar reasons? I know the saddle is a great tool....I love the cover of being behind the tree.
It doesn't sound like yours is a strong case for switching. If your system is working for you, why mess with it?

Concerning weight...the only way you see a big weight savings is by going with a low profile saddle like the Kestrel or Sitdrag. My setup is a lot lighter than a LW + safety harness. Don't forget to add in the weight of your harness and all your straps so you're comparing apples to apples.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

Yes. I don't have the desire to be a purist at much of anything in life, much less a hobby. Life's too short to stress about the kind of stand I hunt from.

I feel you on the movement bit. Lost a shot at a buck a couple of weeks back that passed right under my tree because I guessed wrong on which side he would come from. By the time I realized it, he was too close to swing around or move my bow up and over my tether.

Height helps, but 30ft isn't always an option. But my Kestrel and steppladders weigh less than 15lbs and fit in a pack. I'll probably look into a Hawk Helium or Lone Wolf at some point for places where you have to hunt low.

It's all give-and-take.

Pretty much the same reasons I haven’t converted to a saddle yet. I’m pretty content with my 8lb assault. Can sit all day in it and it’s not much more weight then a platform and it also doubles as a backpack to strap my climbing method and cloth to. I’m mostly here for the climbing methods. I believe that’s my biggest area for improvement. I’m still “saddle-curios” though. Haha

Also 14 deer!! Jesus! Can I come hunt with you??

I think the saddle is for some and not for all. This is in the sense of being a purist!! I can only say i started hunting with a 30lb summit climber, then moved to lock on’s, followed by the saddle and lock on’s. When i decided to fully commit to saddle hunting solely was when i found out how much is really needed. I still think the saddle offers the most lightest/mobile setup. If your having great success now and just want to play in the saddle from time to time that seems like it should work.

To me hangon stands are not as comfortable as a saddle . I couldn't sit all day in a hangon to me very uncomfortable and believe me I've done it for years . I've use everything from Loc on spirit to Loggy Buyou to lonewolf. Even my Treesuit was more comfortable . I use ether my Kestrel or Guido's web or my treesuit. They are alot liter and I don't have any trouble shooting 360. In treestands you have that spot behind you were you can not shoot. That is what got me into saddlehunting you can shoot 360.

I think that when you have a bunch of presets is where saddles really shine and nobody esle can hunt them and are harder to find.That being said there benefits are less when hunting moble with sticks and platforms.I still hunt some ladder stands but I feel like I’m exposed more than in the saddle and can’t shoot 360.

Agree 100% on going to IWOM at 25 degrees. In those conditions, I need a generous platform for getting in/out of that garment.

Points 1-3 highlight why I use a platform.

Point 4, a good platform makes hunting leaning trees easy. I would argue easier. The platform is like a little treestand that fits in places a lock on stand will not fit.

Point 5, agreed. If weight and bulk is a concern, drop the Grigri and go to an ATC. You can cut down bulk of the rope by going with 9mm. Also, SRT is a good option when you have this type of equipment

Point 6, I struggle with this one as well. I don't have a good cold weather system for the saddle and when the temperatures drop below zero I still revert back to tree stands and a HBS usually, but also use the IWOM. This is on my list of things to do better next year.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I hear you guys for the cold weather issue. Being in the great white north I spend the majority of my season in below freezing temperatures. I tried the IWOM last season and returned it after hunting most of November with it. It was warm but noisy and difficult to use in the saddle. I used the first lite sanctuary set the rest of December. I did 8 three+ hour sits in -20C. I was incredibly impressed with the system. Only downside was packing the jacket and bibs in (much larger profile than the rolled up IWOM) and climbing with the bibs on.

I much preferred the first lite to the IWOM, but everyone is different. Just another option.

I tried the iwom for saddle hunting and I didn't like it either. I have hunted down to 0 degrees with my cabelas stand hunter extreme coveralls plus layering and warmers in the past. This year I used the sitka fanatic plus layering and warmers down to 9 degrees. It is definitely a lot more effort to hunt when it gets that cold, but it is still possible in a saddle! :D

Appreciate the input guys!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I've got a full season under my belt in the saddle and I think it's pros out weigh it cons. In the past with an alpha and 4 sticks I was carrying in 35# in being strictly mobile. Now with my saddle, sticks, platform and pack I'm at 15#. Sure there are some shots that are tougher to make than in my hang on but with practice I think they will be just as easy in the saddle. Like others have said I wouldn't worry to much being strictly saddle or hangon. Hunt in whatever way gives you the best opportunity to kill.

Nothing wrong with switching between equipment , Im all about the opportunity and if my saddles work for one situation or my tree stands another so be it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing wrong with switching between equipment , Im all about the opportunity and if my saddles work for one situation or my tree stands another so be it.
I did sell all my hang-ons except my lonewolf and still have my lonewolf climber. I think I may use the climber when it gets really cold so I can use my Heater Body suit . I wish one ofthe companies would make a suit for saddlehunting .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back