• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What is wrong with this design?

noxninja

I am thinking of another preacher seat but this time only having a single bridge. I like the one I have now but thinking of narrowing the seat a bit. Please forgive crude mockup but I would like the rotation that the single would provide as I did with the sit drag. The black dot would be where I would bore the holes to run the tubular webbing through
ede636470f5543a36a81c8e96fb7b0a6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think it will be very stable, I think it will tip forward/backward pretty easy. You can still use a narrow piece of wood and just put slots in the front and back of it for 2 pieces of webbing.

Just do four holes and use a smaller piece of webbing to create the “sit drag” loops on top of each side. Then run a single line bridge off those loops.
Like a swing set seat

The 'Treesuit' (no longer made) uses a single strap under the seat but it has a waist belt to keep the seat from sliding out from under you.

I am thinking of another preacher seat but this time only having a single bridge. I like the one I have now but thinking of narrowing the seat a bit. Please forgive crude mockup but I would like the rotation that the single would provide as I did with the sit drag. The black dot would be where I would bore the holes to run the tubular webbing through
ede636470f5543a36a81c8e96fb7b0a6.jpg

I would still use two straps even with narrower seat. Will help keep you weight distribution such that you will still have a preacher's seat under your seat..

As long as you try it at ground level you should be fine. I’m with red on the stability issue. If I was trying to build a smaller/lighter version I would ditch the wooden whale tail and add an aluminum or pvc. If you feel like two straps through the carabiner get in your way you could tie a continuous loop into the seat then tie a bridge onto it.

Ok so I made my smaller version this morning called The Pulpit (cause all you need is a little something to lean on). Trimmed down the seat and the whale tail width and love it. the single bridge was awesome as I felt like I had the maneuverability of the sit drag again. So far have not noticed any instability or pitching. Also, it was way easier to hook into my biner with the single bridge. Once I get it finished out I will post up a pic.

Well I can tell you it will be easier to tip causing the tongue to scrape the tree. Also the narrower you the more pressure from the straps on your legs. But have fun. I tried all kinds of designs before I settled on what I use

Back