• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What pack for cold weather

deleted_user01

Wondering what pack you cold weather hunters have found to use on severe cold hunts that doesn't sound like you're smashing open a bag of potatoe chips.

I have a DayOne Fleece daypack with elastic closures on the top and on the top of the side pouches. ZERO noise but it also has no structure. It is great for carrying the basics for short distances.
It does have a waist strap.

It is inherently quieter than the Kelly packs...the interior is also fleece and the inside and outside side pouches don't have zippers. There is only a zipper on the front pouch.
I use wool and fleece organizers inside that pack too. And no velcro!

I have a DayOne Fleece daypack with elastic closures on the top and on the top of the side pouches. ZERO noise but it also has no structure. It is great for carrying the basics for short distances.
It does have a waist strap.

It is inherently quieter than the Kelly packs...the interior is also fleece and the inside and outside side pouches don't have zippers. There is only a zipper on the front pouch.
I use wool and fleece organizers inside that pack too. And no velcro!

looks like a great pack

I use a badlands 2200, I carry everything in it and on it. Don't wear saddle walking in,hikes are too far. Never spooked anything with a zipper, yet. I have all gear arranged within reach and available when hunting. I also use a 2800 and a tenzing 6000 if more space is needed.

I use a kuiu 3200 icon pro a lot when its cold and i have a long hike back. Today is 23 degrees right now in Maryland. So for my hunt today, Im taking my IWOM. Unfortunately that means im using my lone wolf hang on instead of my saddle. I have to carry my stand, spurs, rope, gri gri, Iwom, mid layer clothes, water, and basic essentials...back about a mile. The icon pro works very well. It is comfortable carrying in all that stuff. Everything is in the bag on attached to the bag. I stuff the IWOM in between the Icon frame and pack where you would normally pack out your meet.

I wish I could go lighter with the saddle. But then I have to carry my dayone wool parka and bibs and they are pretty heavy too and not as warm as the IWOM. The I do like the dayone stuff but ...oh hell maybe I will go in with the dayone and saddle...lol. I did order the
Sitka incinerator Bibs...they are supposed to be in today...maybe Ill try those and the Dayone parka and saddle. I just not as happy in the saddle when I have to wear bulky clothes. Was hoping that the incinerator would cut down on the bulk some...didnt order the incinerator jacket yet cause I heard it was pretty noisy for bow hunting.

I use an Alps Pursuit. It has an integrated bow/rifle sling, as well as straps on the outside for extra layers. I really like it.

Reactions: JWS
I JUST got a Tenzing 1500 and am curious to hear it in the cold. It seems like it will be really good.
I got it so I could have a frame and a water reservoir.

This pack is pretty small but big enough for me to roll up my insulated jacket and hand muff for hiking.

Back