• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What size stabilizer y'all use in the tree??

Mauidiver

I'm new at this saddle hunting thing and while playing around in a tree I started thinking about my bow size. I just got my new to me e35 with no stabilizer and wondered what size y'all use. Thanks for any help....

mines a trophy ridge 6". I don't think a longer one would affect it much, except if you had to go between the tree and you.

I went to one that is around 11 inches. It has not hindered my movements at all. I was concerned initially, but it really has not caused any issues.

I've been using a backbar setup for several years now. 8" out front and 6" on the side to offset the sight and quiver weight. Never hindered me at all and really helps settle the bow down when your adrenalin is cranking!

I use a 10” front bar and a 8” back bar. Is it needed for hunting? No. But I like to hunt with the exact setup I practice and shoot 3D with. I haven’t had any problems with 10” ( probably longer with quick disconnect) out front and I have found a couple of added benefits to using this setup. I can carry my bow over my shoulder holding onto the front bar when I’m not in any thick stuff and it balances well. I can also rest the back bar on my leg while sitting/ leaning in my saddle waiting for a shot opportunity. This takes some of the fatigue out of holding the bow in an upright position.

How long should your stabilizer be? Well that’s a loaded question. If you want a stabilizer for the sole purpose of dampening vibration/sound a short one will do the trick. If you want to improve your hold on target and accuracy you may want to play with different lengths and different weights. The farther out you have the weight (to some degree) the more stable and slower the bow will react.

A good analogy of this is to hold a broom stick in your hand straight out from your body at varying lengths. If you hold close to the end, say 2’, you can easily and rapidly move the tip of the broom stick. Now move your hand back to 5’. It becomes harder to move the tip rapidly. As a result it becomes more stable.

Now, nobody wants to hunt with a 3-4’ stabilizer, so adding more weight to your shorter stabilizer will have similar results to a long bar with very little weight. The weight being the resistance to motion more so than the length of the lever. Because of the added weigh a back bar can be added to offset any weight from the front bar if the bow wants to dip down and offset the weight of your site and quiver to balance the bow in hand and through the shot.

I may be rambling on about things you already know but the length/weight of your stabilizer should be where you get the best hold, shot and follow thru. I used to have a very floaty pin on the target. After playing with stabilizers/lengths/weights I have settled the pin down considerably and my accuracy has went up tremendously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I run a 10" beestinger up front and an 8" side stab. I have a long ATA bow (36") and it balances out the bow for me nicely when at a draw. I can and do shoot with out, but prefer with the stabs. I use them hunting too.

I use a 6” trophy ridge. I was told by an Olympic Archer one that to get the out of a stabilizer it needs to really longer, but the shorter one do provide a dampening effect after the arrow is released.

7 inch doinker or a 10 inch bee stinger on my hunting bow and a 30 inch doinker and 8 inch side bar on my 3D setup. Both bows are identical Martin Alien Z .

I use a customized set up from Dead Center Archery.....10” weighted bar out front with a 10 down attachment. 8” weighted side bar...most peeps will say the set up is excessive for bowhunting and that’s all good... I do run a similar set up running and gunning on the 3d range. But, for me personally the only purpose of my stab system is to get my set up as close as possible to “perfect” being level and square at full draw.

I use a customized set up from Dead Center Archery.....10” weighted bar out front with a 10 down attachment. 8” weighted side bar...most peeps will say the set up is excessive for bowhunting and that’s all good... I do run a similar set up running and gunning on the 3d range. But, for me personally the only purpose of my stab system is to get my set up as close as possible to “perfect” being level and square at full draw.

IMG_3111.JPG
bfab7100d95f97c6d0a45c0e429c9758.jpg
5a799b417e820d69de551e1dc4069fb7.jpg

My current set up is a single 10" titanium archery products element x. I have run a 10" and 8" dual bar set up with TAP bars in the past as well. I just picked up a qd so my 10" is now going to be around 12". These are the best bars I have found, besides giving stability, they eliminate shock and reduce noise like no other. Titanium reacts to vibration in a way that is different than carbon or similar materials. It matches the resonances created by the shot and cancels them out, it's not magic it's science haha. If you have any questions feel free to shoot me a message anytime.
17a52a70a3fea2283382497b438082a5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Back