• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Why would you do that?

Erniepower

Vendor Rep
Because I hate trying to install my strap on the tree with 5 ameristeps on the strap at once. I can never seem to do it quietly.

I hope to be able to install the boat buckle strap a little loose, then add steps one at a time. Then do a final tighten of the strap. Maybe even be able to add steps to the lone wolf strap on my platform to save me having to carry two straps.

I am sure I have weakened the step, but at room temperature. I wasn't able to get it to break. (I am only #180 but I was really bouncing on this thing).

Now to try it outside. It's basically 0 degrees here this week.

Worst case scenario I ruined a step. (In retrospect, maybe I should have tried this on the few recall steps I have......) but if it works, it will make my life easier.

Because it could be considered unsafe and obviously I have compromised the steps, I don't recommend anyone follow my example but I thought I would share nonetheless.
bc4e34c0c03d51fb1daa42cf0a98ce38.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Ernie, you’re not that far off the reservation. There are quite a few strap on steps designed like that.

I can see what you're trying to accomplish and it's a great idea!

Here's my thoughts...I would be a little concerned about the slack in the strap that is generated on soft bark trees as you apply weight and side force to the steps during a hunt. I always seem to get some bark compaction or have bark sloughing off behind and around the step, which ultimately causes the slack. I think if the over hang you created on the step was a little deeper, it would capture more of the strap and prevent the strap from rolling. If the strap rolls the step is going to the ground. I'm sure you've already considered this...so you maybe rolling your eyes at my response. Lol

I hope my comments made sense? For a clearer visual of what I was describing, I colored in a little deeper over hang on the step.
463fb403997327202ef4e01ec51db551.jpg

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Ernie
What's your address? I'm sending 6 ameristeps immediately. This will catch fire just like your platform idea. I love it.

Ernie, you’re not that far off the reservation. There are quite a few strap on steps designed like that.
I've seen it in aluminum, but I was just curious if the plastic would hold up. So far I am pleasantly surprised. Worst car scenario I figured I could add a steel backer to the step for strength, but at least at this point, it doesn't appear like I have to.

I can see what you're trying to accomplish and it's a great idea!

Here's my thoughts...I would be a little concerned about the slack in the strap that is generated on soft bark trees as you apply weight and side force to the steps during a hunt. I always seem to get some bark compaction or have bark sloughing off behind and around the step, which ultimately causes the slack. I think if the over hang you created on the step was a little deeper, it would capture more of the strap and prevent the strap from rolling. If the strap rolls the step is going to the ground. I'm sure you've already considered this...so you maybe rolling your eyes at my response. Lol

I hope my comments made sense? For a clearer visual of what I was describing, I colored in a little deeper over hang on the step.
463fb403997327202ef4e01ec51db551.jpg

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8
Yep I thought about that after I made the first cut....... future versions will have a little more meat left behind.

Cool idea. I am a nervous about wreaking good steps when I only have 5 bought from my friend Ernie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a similar idea I need to make happen. I'm envisioning a ratchet strap with molle style loops that you can slide cut steps into. That way you can put the strap on and then place as many steps on it as you need for the tree.

Could you just put a piece of webbing around three of them at the right spacing so they do not move around and then just modify two or three and add them to the strap where you wish. I think you could keep it quiet with only three that did not move.

Reactions: PJC
I have a similar idea I need to make happen. I'm envisioning a ratchet strap with molle style loops that you can slide cut steps into. That way you can put the strap on and then place as many steps on it as you need for the tree.
That is not a bad idea but you would need to have the molle loops pretty tight so they tightened down on the steps to keep them from moving. You would have to put the steps in before you tightened it down also.

@Erniepower - I really like this idea and have been toying with a similar idea for a while. You have simplified it, though, to the point where it is actually doable, which is great.

A question - what's that vertical piece that goes up the riser? Just wondering if you put a hinge in there to make it foldable or if it is meant to add strength and stability.... Sorry, hard to tell from the pic.

Also, much as I prefer a boat buckle, i think a ratchet would work best for installation. Tighten up the strap just enough, add steps and then crank it down super-tight without losing any of the strap or step position.

@Nutterbuster - I've pondered your molle loop idea for a while as well. Have you looked at the woven daisy chain webbing from Dutch Gear for this? Not positive it will work, but worth a look - http://dutchwaregear.com/product/wo...?comments_filter=comment_type=review&rating=4

Drew, that looks like it might do nicely. Just need a ratchet and some time with a Dremel and I'd be in business.

I'm thinking about removing/modifying the molle on my Kestrel to allow for slipping the steps onto it. That way they'd be separated (less noisy) and easy to access when the time came to install them.

Luckily I bought a medium Alice pack full of steps from a guy on Craigslist. $40 for probably 30 of them? Got some aluminum ones mixed in there too. So I've got enough to butcher 6 or so.

Because I hate trying to install my strap on the tree with 5 ameristeps on the strap at once. I can never seem to do it quietly.

I hope to be able to install the boat buckle strap a little loose, then add steps one at a time. Then do a final tighten of the strap. Maybe even be able to add steps to the lone wolf strap on my platform to save me having to carry two straps.

I am sure I have weakened the step, but at room temperature. I wasn't able to get it to break. (I am only #180 but I was really bouncing on this thing).

Worst case scenario I ruined a step. (In retrospect, maybe I should have tried this on the few recall steps I have......) but if it works, it will make my life easier.

Because it could be considered unsafe and obviously I have compromised the steps, I don't recommend anyone follow my example but I thought I would share nonetheless.

I have 5 to 6 ameristeps on a ratchet strap and I can put them on a tree very quietly. I wouldn't trust the steps like that because they were designed to be use the way they were made. Be very careful with them hate to see you get hurt.

I think its a great idea ernie

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4_gcun8_kLGQWJMDxQtFpQ

Just be careful guys hate to see someone crippled or killed by trying this please.
A deer of any size or a few minutes saved are not worth death or being crippled rest of your life

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4_gcun8_kLGQWJMDxQtFpQ
Agreed, I'm always tethered in and I figure if one did happen to break, my tether is there. I also never put a lot of weight on them since I use them as a supplement to my regular platform.

Hmm. I like the idea of using them on the Lone Wolf strap that cams over to hold my platform in place. Maybe I need to be in the market for some Ameristeps again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a really great idea, I've been struggling with ameristeps on a strap for a couple years now

Did something like that but only had the cut opening about 1/2", basically just a little extra room for the webbing to fit through. I did have one break on me at the very top edge of the step. I was strapped in so I didn't fall.

Back