• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Wide tree climbing question

320thmp

Ok I have had this question for years even when I hunted out of lock on stands. I mainly use screw in tree steps and with smaller diameter trees I use a harness with a linemans belt so both hands are free to screw in my tree steps. I was always limited when it came to a wider tree that I couldnt get my linemans belt around, there was no way to have both hands free to screw in the steps... anyone that has ever tried this knows exactly what I mean...... lol. Now I have learned Johns Es method of draping my tether over a T bolt or large bolt sunk deep into the tree so I am no longer limited to trees that my tether fits around. What are some climbing methods to prep very large diameter trees? Does anyone have suggestions on how to anchor yourself to the tree in order to have both hands free to screw in the steps? Am I an idiot for trying to climb larger diameter trees???? haha

I'm not sure exactly how big you are talking about but I have some trees that I can't meet my arms around. I will walk the end of my lineman's belt around the tree and lay it on the ground, walk back around and reach to grab it with my other hand. There have been a few times where I was at the very limits of my rope.

Ok yeah I'm talking some pretty big trees at the base. Then Branch out as you go up with a couple trunks suitable for hooking on to. Generally I have used a ladder against the tree in the past to get up high enough to start hanging steps. Just wasn't sure if there was another way

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Ok yeah I'm talking some pretty big trees at the base. Then Branch out as you go up with a couple trunks suitable for hooking on to. Generally I have used a ladder against the tree in the past to get up high enough to start hanging steps. Just wasn't sure if there was another way

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

SRT would be an option.

I love big trees! So much space to hide behind. I’m hoping the spurs I just got will make them a lot easier to hunt.

Ok I have had this question for years even when I hunted out of lock on stands. I mainly use screw in tree steps and with smaller diameter trees I use a harness with a linemans belt so both hands are free to screw in my tree steps. I was always limited when it came to a wider tree that I couldnt get my linemans belt around, there was no way to have both hands free to screw in the steps... anyone that has ever tried this knows exactly what I mean...... lol. Now I have learned Johns Es method of draping my tether over a T bolt or large bolt sunk deep into the tree so I am no longer limited to trees that my tether fits around. What are some climbing methods to prep very large diameter trees? Does anyone have suggestions on how to anchor yourself to the tree in order to have both hands free to screw in the steps? Am I an idiot for trying to climb larger diameter trees???? haha
I had one usually large tree that was in a perfect spot. I’ve made several lineman’s belts over the years so I simply used a longer piece of hollow braid and made one big enough to reach around it.

I would make my linesman belt rope longer than what I need for the biggest tree you are going to climb same with your tether. Then I would do what Red said to hook it up. For your tether you can whip it around the tree and catch the other end. I not a big fan of screwing something in the tree and hooking my tether to it I feel safer with it around the tree but that's just me.

I have some real stiff 9mm line left over from my clam farming days. I made flip lines with it. Work real well. Wanted to bolt some big Live Oaks and lineman’s belt wouldn’t reach tied another piece to it reposition ropeman and worked really well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back