• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Wild edge steppladder?

Big Country

Looking at the steppladder to use with my TL saddle. Want to use for climbing and for the base platform. My question is how small of a tree will they work on?

I bet I could use them to climb an 8" tree, but I only use mine as a platform for my saddle hunting.
The smaller the diameter of the tree the more difficult it is to attach two Stepps at the same level. I now prefer to hunt from 12"diameter trees and larger because of this fact. YMMV.

Good luck with them, I love mine. I am likely to pick up a complete set for next season.
Be sure to watch the Wild Edge YouTube videos, they are great and will help you out.
Learn how to keep the rope on the backside of the tree LOWER than the front and you will learn how to cam them over faster than just practicing on your own.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

Thanks, That's what I was wanting to hear. I've watched and researched a lot about the wild edge steps but haven't seen them used on smaller trees. Anybody have pics or video of them on smaller trees? thx

8 inch diameter is probably as small as I would want. You could definitely go a little smaller. The smaller they get the more critical the rope tightness gets for me. Not much rope to stretch tight so it’s hard to get just the right amount of tension. I use the aider and this becomes more difficult on very small trees. I’m a big guy and not sure how small I have gone with the stepps but the trees move with me way too much before the stepp gets too big.

If you buy an aider you could use 8 or 10 steps . I use 7 to get me about 21 feet and another 2 feet with the three I use for a platform.

Using the aider with 16 stepps and I could hunt from 50+ feet and still have enough for a platform. I’m not saying not to order that many. I would love to have a truck full of wild edge stepps. They have become my favorite way to climb. I only have a set of 8. When I ordered them I planned on using a xop platform. After I used the stepps for a platform I haven’t looked back. I usually end up around 20 feet. Plan on ordering a set of ten. Then I can leave a set up in the evening and still have the option of hunting somewhere else in the morning. I could also use extra stepps when hunting with my son. He isn’t aider worthy yet and it would be nice to put the stepps close together for him. Right now he isn’t comfortable with even the lone wolf sticks but I have a millennium stick ladder that only has about 12 inch spacing on the stepps. I could do the same with the stepps and slowly space them farther apart until he gets taller and more comfortable climbing.

smallest tree I have used was about 8" in diameter. Love the steps and will be trying the aider soon as well.

I own 20 steps total and I use all of them often... I keep 12 of them for hang n hunts and 8 of them are scattered throughout the properties I hunt as pre-set platforms and misc steps for tree stands where we needed an extra foot or two. They come in very handy all the time.

Using the aider with 16 stepps and I could hunt from 50+ feet and still have enough for a platform. I’m not saying not to order that many. I would love to have a truck full of wild edge stepps. They have become my favorite way to climb. I only have a set of 8. When I ordered them I planned on using a xop platform. After I used the stepps for a platform I haven’t looked back. I usually end up around 20 feet. Plan on ordering a set of ten. Then I can leave a set up in the evening and still have the option of hunting somewhere else in the morning. I could also use extra stepps when hunting with my son. He isn’t aider worthy yet and it would be nice to put the stepps close together for him. Right now he isn’t comfortable with even the lone wolf sticks but I have a millennium stick ladder that only has about 12 inch spacing on the stepps. I could do the same with the stepps and slowly space them farther apart until he gets taller and more comfortable climbing.

I watched the video from Wild Edge incorporating the Aider. I noticed it clips on, metal to metal. Any noise issues or problems with it sliding (L to R) on the step it's attached to? Thanks.

The hook is rubber coated. If the stepps aren’t as tight as they should be they can turn causing the aider to slip to one side. They are still the quietest I have used. If I think the stepp may move some I hook into the v. That way if it moves it’s straight down and can’t twist. I started thinking the other day about why I didn’t like climbing with the ameristeps but like the wild edge. I think it’s the ability to stand with both feet level and lean back against and relax at any point in the climb.

The hook is rubber coated. If the stepps aren’t as tight as they should be they can turn causing the aider to slip to one side. They are still the quietest I have used. If I think the stepp may move some I hook into the v. That way if it moves it’s straight down and can’t twist. I started thinking the other day about why I didn’t like climbing with the ameristeps but like the wild edge. I think it’s the ability to stand with both feet level and lean back against and relax at any point in the climb.
Agreed. The abillity to stand with both feet before you progress is huge. It is why the double step sticks are so popular too.

Ok thx. I plan to buy the 16 step so I can climb and then have enough for a platform.
I do not believe you need that many. I use 7 with their climbing aider and I usually have 1 left over once the 2 at the top are set up. The other 3 from the set stay in a tree behind my house as a platform that I use with bolts for quick hunts. If you bought a set of 8 or 10 max is all you would need. No need for additional weight to drag around. (Unless you are looking to have a lot of presets. )

I do not believe you need that many. I use 7 with their climbing aider and I usually have 1 left over once the 2 at the top are set up. The other 3 from the set stay in a tree behind my house as a platform that I use with bolts for quick hunts. If you bought a set of 8 or 10 max is all you would need. No need for additional weight to drag around. (Unless you are looking to have a lot of presets. )
Agreed. If you use an aider (WE or Reds) 8 steps will get you over 30 feet. Anything extra is more height or for platforming/hand holds.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thx for all the input guys. I bought 16 so I can have a couple platforms and bought the aider to practice with.

Thx for all the input guys. I bought 16 so I can have a couple platforms and bought the aider to practice with.
I did not finish reading the thread before replying... sorry.

The aider does take practice but is more than worth it. If nothing else, you can have 2 sets of 8 and keep 1 set with aider and hunting gear and 1 set with aider in your truck or hunting location just in case.

As far as width, Jim always recommended trees at least the width the Stepp. They work on trees less than the width of the Stepp though

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Back