• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Xop platform

kenn1320

Ok guys, hats off to Dave for his idea to use these parts and BB for sharing his thoughts/ideas. I ordered some parts and have started piecing one together that meets my criteria. I havent tested it yet and as with anything, testing results in evolution. I may end up back where Dave is, although he has changed his design several times in the pursuit of what works for him.

FIrst issue encountered is mismatch fitment of the batwing to the I-beam. Bolting this down tight would induce stress, so Ill round off the corners of the I-beam to eliminate any potential issue.

Im looking for a solid platform and what makes the LW stands solid is the ability to cam action the platform to lock them to the tree. Playing with other platforms, its obvious using the ears of the platform to cam lock makes them solid! I accomplished this by mounting a batwing to the platform. I believe the threaded adjuster on the xop seat is metric, but I didnt have metric, so used a 5/16-24 bolt. I used a 3/8 coupling nut as a spacer and welded a 1/4-20 allen bolt to the head of the 5/16 bolt to facilitate mounting the batwing. This ensures when the platform is rotated down, the batwing sticks out further than the I-beam. This also applies the cam action forces directly to the batwing, eliminating any stress on the I-beam. Part of the problem with other platforms using these type seats was denting of the main tube. If this works well, I might have an aluminum 3/4" solid round bar stock cut to 1 7/8 long and drilled/tapped to accept the proper thread on each end. This will reduce weight and add additional stiffness given its larger foot print on the mating parts.

Since I had bending issues using the seat as intended(using bolt stop) on previous attempt at a platform, I will stick with Daves idea of using a rope to help support my weight. Im currently using 550 paracord which ironically gets its name based on its strength of 550lbs. Yes knots reduce its strenght and I may end up using something heavier after testing, but I had it and used it. More pics of that will get added when I put it on a tree. I like the LW cam buckle strap for quick and easy attachment and adjustment, not sure if I will use 2 for this or just 1 and use a whoopie sling for the platform cam over. Whoopie slings are so light its crazy, but they do require some adjustment that may not be easy in the dark or close to bedding.

I also found that while not perfect, my Hawk sticks stack exceptionally well on this platform and will be how I transport this system. I used 1 LW cam buckle strap to lock the platform to the I-beam and then 1 raptor strap to connect the sticks to the platform. No modifications or velcro added and it passes my shake test. In the interest of stealth I will fit some velcro at key contact points like I did on my sticks.

Ok guys keeping it real and learning as I go. There was lots of flex in the system. Seems the cam over force did something I didn't expect, upward force on the I-beam. I didn't even stand on it and didn't like what I saw when leaning on it. Moving the second strap to the lower versa button then showed slop in the seat bolt to seat/I-beam connection. Next ill remove the lower versa button and using its current hole as a pilot, ill drill it through. Ill mount the batwing there and take it to the tree again.

Also fitment of the top batwing required filing the mating surface flat, not just 45 Deg corner break on each side. This is where the casting is parted. The casting flash is likely ground off on a belt sander and as a result each I-beam will be different.

Last edited:
Looks good. We played around with the paracord early on. Personally found it a little to spongy for my cheeseburger breath. Only thing I really liked was coated cable. Hence why I went back to cam lock with the seat.

Interesting idea on alternative use of the leveling bolt. I like it!

Yep I actually had to put a stop order into myself - future mods will need to wait until after this season. I got it to where I am very satisfied with my set ups.... now I will use them hard for next three months and pick up the mod work, if needed, in Jan :)

Paracord spongy? You bet it is, that's out of here. lol

Im having a hard time falling in love with this thing. Try as I might (and Ive tried many ways) I keep finding what I found with my old design. When pressure is applied to the platofrm, my top batwing loses contact with the tree. This results in wiggle. I even put the platform bolt through one of the not supposed to be used holes to get it between the 2 batwings. What I found on my old platform was I needed to bias the platform towards the top batwing. The cam over strap eliminated the pull away. I did figure out something that is helping. Instead of holding the I-beam flat with both batwings against the tree to tighten the top strap, I lifted the bottom up while keeping contact with the top batwing to the tree. Then tighten the strap, effectively camming the top batwing. The bottom batwing is not off the tree. When you cam the bottom in, the setup is pretty solid. Im using a whoopie sling for platform support and even that feels a little spongy. Keep in mind Im not using my saddle, this is all 229lbs standing on this thing.
Also had to file the back of the I-beam for second batwing, same as the first one.

Im not going to post all the variations I tried this thing, but here is the one that worked the best. Note the I-beam is upside down here. That was to cut down on iteration testing time. Ill be flipping it back over later.

Yep I actually had to put a stop order into myself - future mods will need to wait until after this season. I got it to where I am very satisfied with my set ups.... now I will use them hard for next three months and pick up the mod work, if needed, in Jan :)
Dave I like your last (or at least I think it was your last;)) with the platform on top. I just don't feel like standing on it without the rope support.

Paracord spongy? You bet it is, that's out of here. lol

Im having a hard time falling in love with this thing. Try as I might (and Ive tried many ways) I keep finding what I found with my old design. When pressure is applied to the platofrm, my top batwing loses contact with the tree. This results in wiggle.

Did you try loosening the top strap a little more than in this photo, and pulling the "stick" down so that it seats it tighter against the tree? I don't have any experience with platforms but this always helps with climbing sticks.

Dave I like your last (or at least I think it was your last;)) with the platform on top. I just don't feel like standing on it without the rope support.

nope I made a video that showed my latest and greatest - I actually have several set ups based upon where I am hunting

Yep, even did the old tighten strap, lift the bottom of the I-beam to crush bark, re-tighten and then push down on the stick. Same result, top batwing losing contact with tree. I think some of why it works on sticks is cause as you step on the stick it slides down a bit and that bends the stick, creating more tension on the system. Your not going to bend this I-beam anytime soon.

Thanks Dave, I had seen that video, but wasnt sure that was the latest. I see you discovered the importance of getting the batwing as close to the platform as you can. Maybe that is how your eliminating some of the pull away I experienced with the batwing in the factory drilled hole.

Im backed to what i posted in the last pic, but flipped the stick around. Tilting the stick up till the batwing and top of stick are touching the tree, then tighten the strap and cam it down. That sets the top batwing solid into the tree.

Im backed to what i posted in the last pic, but flipped the stick around. Tilting the stick up till the batwing and top of stick are touching the tree, then tighten the strap and cam it down. That sets the top batwing solid into the tree.

Cool. I was looking at the XOP replacement parts and then read about your struggles. So I have held off.

Its super solid now, but ive only had it on a couple trees knee high. The platform adjustment range is pretty broad, should work well. This will be my main platform this yr. Ive been losing weight so it can only get better. :)

Also with both batwings on the I-beam the Hawk sticks are cradled nicely for transport.

Red that is the bracket i use and what I call a batwing. When you cam the system over, those 2 center points dig into the tree nicely. BB said the muddy stick bracket is his favorite, but I dont have any experience with those. They dont sell replacement parts.:(

Red that is the bracket i use and what I call a batwing. When you cam the system over, those 2 center points dig into the tree nicely. BB said the muddy stick bracket is his favorite, but I dont have any experience with those. They dont sell replacement parts.:(
Don't get me started on Muddy. Not impressed with their customer service. One of the sticks that I bought had a bolt that was loose in the step assemble. The way it is designed is that bolt has a star that holds in in place while you tighten the nut. Well because the bolt was loose I couldn't tighten the nut. Contacted customer service and they say they don't do replacement parts, return it to where I bought it. Well I bought it online and they were gonna take it back, but I figured out a way to get it tight in the end. Anyways.. long story short, VERY disappointed with Muddy!

Yeah, customer service at Muddy sucks, but it's better than XOP. Only difference is generally XOP puts out a better quality product beforehand. Their QC really went down hill around the sell. I'm glad I have the presale stuff

I figured that in the end I chop up half my gear to customize it anyways lol.

Back