• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Preventing tether slide

I just run the tag end through the eye 2x, prevents slippage
Do you run the tether around the tree twice and then thru the loop, or are you saying you run it around the tree once, thru the loop and just grab the tag end and thread it thru the loop again? I probably should just go figure it out, but the second way I mention sounds like my prussic wouldnt moveable.

This. No need for extra hardware or rope to secure the tether to the tree. If it's slipping something is not right.
may be referring to the tether rolling, and possibly could be due to the type of bark on the tree

may be referring to the tether rolling, and possibly could be due to the type of bark on the tree
Not tether roll. IME, anytime the load is removed from the tether,(during readjusting or whatever) the cinch can loosen and slip a couple of inches. I hate having the movement of tending to the tether height.
Or, if pulled in a counter clockwise (or clockwise depending on the direction of the wrap) the cinch can loosen and either slip or reposition itself off center of the platform. Not major issues, but its also not something I want to fool with several times per hunt.
I can't believe I'm the only one that likes my tether to be at a stable height.
Doesn't John E and several others screw in a T to secure his tether?

Tom, even one of those little screw-in bow holders will prevent your tether from slipping down the tree.

Tom, even one of those little screw-in bow holders will prevent your tether from slipping down the tree.
Yep, it will. It will also get you a fine if you get caught screwing in even a little stinkin bow hanger on public land in Pa.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Try a single strap on step instead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try a single strap on step instead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not saying that any of you guys' systems isn't any good. I was just offering another choice.
The shock cord has worked well for me and it isn't another item to carry. Its part of my tether.

Has anyone ever seen a GW checking for a screw in a tree? I've never seen a warden anywhere but at a gate or a boat landing, or parked vehicle? Just asking, they have better things to do I would hope.

Has anyone ever seen a GW checking for a screw in a tree? I've never seen a warden anywhere but at a gate or a boat landing, or parked vehicle? Just asking, they have better things to do I would hope.
My neighbor had wardens walk thru the woods and directly to his ladder stand on Pa game lands. He had a little bow hanger screwed into the tree...he paid a fine over $125.
a
Are you even allowed to posses screw in steps or hooks on game lands? IDK...maybe you could be fined at the gate just for having one in a pack that they may ask to search.

Wow, must have been a slow day. IMHO that is a crazy law no matter what state it's in. Its proven that screws hurt trees if left in trees for years, not if taken out. Maple syrup suppliers tap trees year after year, for example. I think they have bigger issues to handle than that for sure. But to each his own.

Wow, must have been a slow day. IMHO that is a crazy law no matter what state it's in. Its proven that screws hurt trees if left in trees for years, not if taken out. Maple syrup suppliers tap trees year after year, for example. I think they have bigger issues to handle than that for sure. But to each his own.
To boot, the wardens walked in on him at 8am on the opening morning of bow season....grrrr.
It was like the knew the stand was there and knew the hunter would be there on opening morning. They had no concern that they wrecked his day.

uhhhhh I put weight on my saddle. works everytime????
I don't know...is it just me?
Yeah, when you pull on the tether in one direction (clockwise for example) the cinch chokes tight. But if you pull in the opposite direction the cinch loses its bind.
Whether I step to one direction on the ROS. or stand on the platform for a second, or take weight off to adjust the Ropeman, I don't always have weight on the saddle and the tether can (not every time) slip a couple inches.
I don't understand why the resistance to adding a little piece of shock cord to the tether loop...no weight, no bulk, no noise.

Yup holes for sap never harm a tree but when a logger logs a tapped maple bush he knows there are no veneer maple trees. That is the only harm. Tree value

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back