• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Preventing tether slide

I'm not getting into the tree hole/screw in argument, but I did have a similar issue with my tether falling down, I tried those stupid castration bands and they did hold the rope but were a pain to adjust for different sized trees, so I cut a few inches off of a black nite-tize cargo wrap and wrapped it around my tether, easy to move can tighten and hold when I want it to.

I’m a total newbie but I use a tether for my safety harness. I put a carabiner on the eye of the tether a then I have a prussic on the other side that wraps around the tree and on the carabiner I pull the prussic tight and there’s no slipping. I hope I explained it right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
81ce1f117c4fa0bfce17e9f30672bae5.jpg

Pictures are better than explanations.

Last edited:
I started out using the electrical grommets,
(castration bands evolved from them).
In the beginning they were cat's a. $. $.,
But as others have said ,"a pain to adjust" & I agree.

My latest fix for the possible sliding has been; either 550 para, or 6mm utility cord tied to the tether with a "bobber stop" or otherwise called a slip bobber knot.?
Maybe the knot has a name...??? But leaving about 1-1/2" tails with stopper knots on each end makes a pretty simple stop that has been working for me since late last season and till present with satisfactory results.
Give it a go~~~

I’m a total newbie but I use a tether for my safety harness. I put a carabiner on the eye of the tether a then I have a prussic on the other side that wraps around the tree and on the carabiner I pull the prussic tight and there’s no slipping. I hope I explained it right.

I'm not sure folks have been doing that before but I think I like it, just an extra prusik loop on your tether, might not work on some smaller trees depending on your loop size, I'll have to give this a try. It's maybe a little like my poor man's tree squeeze for the lineman belt.

Just figured I would add a picture.

I have been saddle hunting for 5 seasons now and I still don't understand how this is a thing. I need to make a video for you people.

I have been saddle hunting for 5 seasons now and I still don't understand how this is a thing. I need to make a video for you people.

I don’t have the issue but I imagine it’s based on what kind of rope and type of tree you use it on.

Not crazy about needing another carabiner.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I don’t have the issue but I imagine it’s based on what kind of rope and type of tree you use it on.
Sometimes its caused the shape of the tree. Just below a Y or a large bump from a knot can make the tether not want to stay put in the sweet spot. It doesn't happen every time but slip does happen occasionally.
I also experience it when stepping in the opposite direction of the "choke". Step in one direction and the choke tightens, but step in the opposite direction the tether choke loosens and SOMETIMES slips down the tree a couple inches. After a few times of that, the tether needs repositioned...SOMETIMES.
I don't like to rely on the choke to keep my tether exactly where I like it.
The little loop of bungie cures that. It weighs nothing and makes no noise. It helps me move less in the tree because I never need to reposition the tether.
Seems like a no brainer to me.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Ive had it happen, but I also like to grab mine and move it left or right slightly to change my hang on the tree. Doesnt slip when you have weight on it obviously. I havent gotten to the point of worrying about it, but on a smooth tree I double through the eye like one of the posted pics above.

I started out using the electrical grommets,
(castration bands evolved from them).
In the beginning they were cat's a. $. $.,
But as others have said ,"a pain to adjust" & I agree.

My latest fix for the possible sliding has been; either 550 para, or 6mm utility cord tied to the tether with a "bobber stop" or otherwise called a slip bobber knot.?
Maybe the knot has a name...??? But leaving about 1-1/2" tails with stopper knots on each end makes a pretty simple stop that has been working for me since late last season and till present with satisfactory results.
Give it a go~~~

I’m basically doing the same thing. Using 550 cord that I can slide back and forth as needed on my eye. You can see it in the pic below (might have to zoom).
b682e2ab435e33dafb8dac30191e6f85.jpg

I really don’t have too much problem with slippage, but read about others having the issue, so I took preemptive measures so there’s no chance of it happening. Just switched from my original TL webbing tether this year.

Because not everyone hunting from a saddle keeps tension on their tether 100% of the time. Stand on platform, remove tension, girth hitch loosens, and there's this concept called gravity that goes to work.

I girth my tether twice around the tree. It results in me carrying a little more rope than the bare azz minimum but it works and I haven't died from carrying an extra 6 oz yet.

1539965866473.png

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    104.5 KB · Views: 63
Because not everyone hunting from a saddle keeps tension on their tether 100% of the time. Stand on platform, remove tension, girth hitch loosens, and there's this concept called gravity that goes to work.

I girth my tether twice around the tree. It results in me carrying a little more rope than the bare azz minimum but it works and I haven't died from carrying an extra 6 oz yet.

View attachment 7157
Mine never slips and I take weight off my saddle all the time with one wrap around the tree!

Tether material definitely has a lot to do with it. I used a name brand tether with my hang on stand for a long time then started using one a friend made with climbing rope. It was a much higher quality rope than the store bought tether but it was much more likely to come loose without weight on it. I'd bet that has something to do with some guys having issues and others that don't.

Tether material definitely has a lot to do with it. I used a name brand tether with my hang on stand for a long time then started using one a friend made with climbing rope. It was a much higher quality rope than the store bought tether but it was much more likely to come loose without weight on it. I'd bet that has something to do with some guys having issues and others that don't.
Good post but the ropes that tend to grab better the sheaths also pick a lot easier due to them being softer!

Back