• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

How have you modified the predator?

Patriot38

Now that its the off season I plan to modify my predator. I'll most likely do paint and get the new versa strap. Possibly rubber coating

My question is, what have some of you done to improve the predator? I've seen some pictures of new paint jobs (primarily G2 method).

Has anyone done anything they regret? Feel free to attach some pictures of you have time.

Thanks guys

I have two gen 1 so I can't comment on how these mods will work on a gen 2.

I tried the wax fix. Worked well until we hit the low 20s temps, then the noises returned.
So I did the nylon bushing. I've tested it at single digit temps and its much better, but I can hear what sounds like tacky, sticky wax making barely audible sound...maybe on the plastic washers?? I need to clean off all wax and retest.

I've tried the Versa Lite strap and I really wanted to like it. I stretched it and broke it in, but it just ain't for me (sorry Carl...I really tried to like it).
Versa straps are great for sticks, but IMO, the stock strap that comes with the predator is better for gen 1s.
Maybe Versa are okay on gen 2...I will find out when my gen 2 arrives.

I also added 1 single Ameristep to the strap on my strong side. I really like having a step on each side. I use my top climbing step for my extra step on the weak side.
The only other thing I've done is to add a Lone Wolf strap for carrying. I sling it over my left shoulder which is the side I've always hung all stands...always to my left. With the strap, it carries nicely and is much easier to access when at stand height than having it in a pack...slip it off my left shoulder and hang it to my left. Hanging to my left works out well with the top climbing step being on my weak side and the Ameristep on my strong side. When I get to the tree with the stand on a strap, I'm ready to climb...no messing around with the stand in a pack.
My system is working very well for me.

I have two gen 1 so I can't comment on how these mods will work on a gen 2.

I tried the wax fix. Worked well until we hit the low 20s temps, then the noises returned.
So I did the nylon bushing. I've tested it at single digit temps and its much better, but I can hear what sounds like tacky, sticky wax making barely audible sound...maybe on the plastic washers?? I need to clean off all wax and retest.

I've tried the Versa Lite strap and I really wanted to like it. I stretched it and broke it in, but it just ain't for me (sorry Carl...I really tried to like it).
Versa straps are great for sticks, but IMO, the stock strap that comes with the predator is better for gen 1s.
Maybe Versa are okay on gen 2...I will find out when my gen 2 arrives.

I also added 1 single Ameristep to the strap on my strong side. I really like having a step on each side. I use my top climbing step for my extra step on the weak side.
The only other thing I've done is to add a Lone Wolf strap for carrying. I sling it over my left shoulder which is the side I've always hung all stands...always to my left. With the strap, it carries nicely and is much easier to access when at stand height than having it in a pack...slip it off my left shoulder and hang it to my left. Hanging to my left works out well with the top climbing step being on my weak side and the Ameristep on my strong side. When I get to the tree with the stand on a strap, I'm ready to climb...no messing around with the stand in a pack.
My system is working very well for me.
Great input, thanks Tom. I have the gen 2 and its completely stock. I hunted in single digits with no noise issues. So far I like the stock strap but I have been prone to the buckle clinking on stuff if I'm not careful.

Having a strap is a great idea to put it over your shoulder when climbing. I'll be honest, I haven't perfected the best method for setting the platform once I'm at hunting hieght. I've tried strapping it to my back pack but it's tough to get to. Wearing it around a shoulder seems way more practical. I like to be on the platform and set before I start organizing/hanging my gear.

Great tip on the ameristep as well. I'll be trying that out for sure

This is how mine goes up the tree with me. I can reach around with one hand and get it.
8dafb8184886d5f309f30ccb6f336093.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Combination of bad weather and the whole family being sick at once kept me inside for a few days, did let me update my predator though. Aluminum primer, spray on bedliner, sponge camo and flat clear coat. Tried to replicate Sitka's elevated II and burnt orange logo. View attachment 9614View attachment 9615
Nice job! I really like it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Combination of bad weather and the whole family being sick at once kept me inside for a few days, did let me update my predator though. Aluminum primer, spray on bedliner, sponge camo and flat clear coat. Tried to replicate Sitka's elevated II and burnt orange logo. View attachment 9614View attachment 9615
Wow, best one I've seen on here yet! I really like how you did the logo in orange as well. It turned out great. How do you like the bedliner?

This is awesome. Step by step instructions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So far it seems to be holding up ok. I think the clear coat helped protect it. I will say it didn't do a whole lot to take out the metal "ting." Maybe it helps a little but Could have probably skipped that step honestly.

So far it seems to be holding up ok. I think the clear coat helped protect it. I will say it didn't do a whole lot to take out the metal "ting." Maybe it helps a little but Could have probably skipped that step honestly.
What paint combination did you use? Awesome job

Man, that looks just like EV2!!! Might have to try that myself since my clothes and bow are there same pattern. What colors did you use.

Later I will try to grab the paint cans I used. It was a random selection from the depot. I had a Sitka vest on when I went in and just tried to match up the colors as best as I could.
I primiered, then bedlined, then painted with the sponge method. If I did it again I would have lightly hit the platform with a tan spray first because it's hard to get a sponge in the tight spots

Later I will try to grab the paint cans I used. It was a random selection from the depot. I had a Sitka vest on when I went in and just tried to match up the colors as best as I could.
I primiered, then bedlined, then painted with the sponge method. If I did it again I would have lightly hit the platform with a tan spray first because it's hard to get a sponge in the tight spots
Thanks, think I'll do the same for my DIY stick doublesteps and tree brackets. That would be great if you could shoot a pic of the cans, or just list the colors.

Dam! Want to do mine????....lol

DUDE.....So sick! Love it!

Thanks, think I'll do the same for my DIY stick doublesteps and tree brackets. That would be great if you could shoot a pic of the cans, or just list the colors.
I'll take a pic of the cans and try to get a shot of the color tags or I'll list them. You'll prolly laugh at the goofy mixture I used but I don't think it really matters because you actually use so little paint

Back