• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

The Wraptor

Congrats on that treesuit! I saw it as soon as he put it up and almost sent a PM 10x to buy it! I had this project underway so I held off, but that was a great deal. If you use my measurements, you will notice the 10" overlaps. It was not on the original Anderson's, but I thought it added more stitching area and made it even safer. The other thing is that if I make another, I may make the top loop an inch or half inch shorter than the bottom so it would fit even better up higher on the lower back, but not a problem as is. Post pics!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input! Will make that adjustment. Great project.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yours was one of the pics I stumbled across while researching making mine in February and gave inspiration to do this, thanks! I was going to reference it but had trouble finding it again. I looked at those Petzl rings but went with solid since they were cheaper and could be sewn in while making it. That allowed me to cut weight and use the rings for everything vs having the oval rings plus the rounds. Nothing revolutionary in mine, just trying to document the process, materials, and measurements for anyone wanting their own. If a computer geek like me can do this, anyone can.

Yours looks awesome! My goal was a 100% non-sew solution. Glad someone is running wiht this--I've bee surprised not a lot of people have tried making them consideringhow simple they are.

What are your peoples thoughts on the importance of the aluminum rings? With the aluminum rings, you have a couple of options to connect a bridge. You can either connect one or both sides with a caribiner but, then you have a metal to metal connection. Or you could use webbing or rope and tie directly to both rings but, then the bridge is permanently attached.

If you build the saddle without the rings then you can use caribiners on both sides in their place. You don't have anymore metal this way but, you have the ability to disconnect one or both sides of the bridge, or make an amsteel bridge with two locked brummels. I just don't see the benefit of using the rings? What am I missing or what are others thoughts on this?

0p
What are your peoples thoughts on the importance of the aluminum rings? With the aluminum rings, you have a couple of options to connect a bridge. You can either connect one or both sides with a caribiner but, then you have a metal to metal connection. Or you could use webbing or rope and tie directly to both rings but, then the bridge is permanently attached.

If you build the saddle without the rings then you can use caribiners on both sides in their place. You don't have anymore metal this way but, you have the ability to disconnect one or both sides of the bridge, or make an amsteel bridge with two locked brummels. I just don't see the benefit of using the rings? What am I missing or what are others thoughts on this?
My guess is that the rings are rated for an omnidirectional load, and carabiners are not. Fepending on how you position your two halves of the saddle, you could be putting some "weird" pressure on the rings/biner.

But who knows, it may work. Those petzl rings that open could be used to allow for a double sided locked brummel bridge.

The aluminum rings were just my interpretation for the simplest solution for my needs. I considered attaching a bridge directly to the loops without rings, but didn't like the rope on webbing wear risk... several chats about that on the site. The rings were my best option to hold the loops, connect the bridge, and serve as linesman loops all in one. You could use caribiners directly on the loops. You could also make mine with the Petzl rings, but have the ability to remove and add since they have a removable gate. I have had zero noise issues with this one so far, so the rings have not been a concern. You could also wrap them in hockey tape or self fusing rubber electric tape and make them silent. I would love for others to try different solutions. I will cut off these rings and switch if I find something better.

Totally awesome build! I recently modded my Anderson after 3 decades of use. LoL ! It's showing wear and tear though and your efforts are a inspiration to build a new one from scratch. Thanks for posting the details and you've done a great job!!!

Packable too!
6f37da380e35f70dde1d2e830101c9c5.jpg

The aluminum rings were just my interpretation for the simplest solution for my needs. I considered attaching a bridge directly to the loops without rings, but didn't like the rope on webbing wear risk... several chats about that on the site. The rings were my best option to hold the loops, connect the bridge, and serve as linesman loops all in one. You could use caribiners directly on the loops. You could also make mine with the Petzl rings, but have the ability to remove and add since they have a removable gate. I have had zero noise issues with this one so far, so the rings have not been a concern. You could also wrap them in hockey tape or self fusing rubber electric tape and make them silent. I would love for others to try different solutions. I will cut off these rings and switch if I find something better.

A soft shackle could have potential to replace the rings. I would probably still prefer the rings but add a soft shackle to it to avoid the metal on metal.

A soft shackle could have potential to replace the rings. I would probably still prefer the rings but add a soft shackle to it to avoid the metal on metal.
I'm probably going to build this too, and was thinking I'd try plasti-dipping the rings.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I'm probably going to build this too, and was thinking I'd try plasti-dipping the rings.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I ended up wrapping mine in cloth camo tape and it worked just fine. Quieted them right down.

The rings work well, allowing the two independent slings to freely adjust to your body. I like to move mine around once in awhile to stay comfortable. Really Nice Job. Thanks for all the inspiration.

I have to give him credit. He turned me on to the Keen boots as well. Been using them for 2 years now.

I have to give him credit. He turned me on to the Keen boots as well. Been using them for 2 years now.

2yrs your a Keen virgin! Lol I love my Keens

I like how I can go from my Keens steel toes to my Keen hikers and they literally feel exactly the same. I have some Merell hikers now that feel real close to the Keens also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back