• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

getting platform into the tree

pno2nr

This is my second year saddle hunting. First year with a predator platform. I tried both sticks and a ring of steps as a platform but man the platform has been WAY more comfortable and feels more solid with sideways pressure.

Question: I'm wondering how those of you who use platforms get them into the tree. I don't really like to climb with a backpack on, but that's what I've been doing...

This is my second year saddle hunting. First year with a predator platform. I tried both sticks and a ring of steps as a platform but man the platform has been WAY more comfortable and feels more solid with sideways pressure.

Question: I'm wondering how those of you who use platforms get them into the tree. I don't really like to climb with a backpack on, but that's what I've been doing...
Someone posted a video yesterday by Greg from Tethrd on how he does it. Might wan to check that out.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Paracord on the predator, hooked onto a kydex j hook on the back of my mantis. You can get the hooks from here

I attached some cheap military surplus backpack straps to mine and can attach my stick/sticks or spurs to it. Not as bulky as a backpack. Just leave them attached to the bottom when you're on stand. I got rid of the backpack and traded it for a fanny pack with molle loops so I can use a s-biner on the loops to hook my sticks to when I use all 4. Hooking the platform to the saddle with sticks makes for a lot of noise.

Paracord on the predator, hooked onto a kydex j hook on the back of my mantis. You can get the hooks from here

X2

I put a paracord loop on the left side of my Mantis saddle. I simply run the loop through the predator platform then over both sides of the tree stand off. It is easy, cheap and very effective. Takes me 5 minutes to completely alter my mantis saddles for hunting. I tie two paracord loops and do one zip tie loop - wah-la done. This allows me to use three sticks, platform and a removeable dump bag - everything I need to climb and set up a tree. It leaves me a clean saddle at hunting height which I prefer.

Last edited:
That's going on my saddle for sure. I've been using a couple of carabiners for my climbing sticks to this point.

I put a paracord loop on the left side of my Mantis saddle. I simply run the loop through the predator platform then over both sides of the tree stand off. It is easy, cheap and very effective. Takes me 5 minutes to completely alter my mantis saddles for hunting. I tie two paracord loops and do one zip tie loop - wah-la done. This allows me to use three sticks, platform and a removeable dump bag - everything I need to climb and set up a tree. It leaves me a clean saddle at hunting height which I prefer.
How do you keep the sticks from clanging against the platform? I use three cut-down hawk helium sticks each with a webbing step added - two of the heliums ride up with me attached to my saddle (kestrel) after leaving the ground. I'd love to be able to just strap the platform on as well, but I feel like I must be doing something wrong because I need the sticks spread apart from each other pretty far to not have to worry about them hitting each other.

How do you keep the sticks from clanging against the platform? I use three cut-down hawk helium sticks each with a webbing step added - two of the heliums ride up with me attached to my saddle (kestrel) after leaving the ground. I'd love to be able to just strap the platform on as well, but I feel like I must be doing something wrong because I need the sticks spread apart from each other pretty far to not have to worry about them hitting each other.

It is not a problem. I cover how I do it one here. Only one stick and platform go onto my saddle one on each side ( and I use 3 sticks typically)

I have the exact same setup and I have not been able to get both sticks and my platform on my saddle with them clanging together. I put the platform in my pack and then clip my pack to my saddle after both sticks are on the tree. Just like a giant dump pouch. After I have the platform on the tree I then put my pack back on before installing my tether and getting on the platform.

i use squirrel steps as my climbing method now, so i dont have to worry about that. But when i did use sticks i did it like DaveT does in his video

This year I’m using the predator pack it works great for carrying my platform and sticks. Last year I just zipped the the predator up in my jacket against my chest while climbing.

My platform uses amsteel and I just tie the end around the leg loop of my rch and let it hang about 6 feet below me as I climb. I use spurs so it never gets contact from anything as I climb.

Back