• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Had no idea how good this would be.

XTerraDrvr

I am moving toward saddle hunting. One thing I did a month or so ago was add a linemans belt to my HSS safety harness. This weekend I installed a stickladder while using the linemans belt for the first time. The experience was amazing, and really enjoyable compared to previous installs without a linemans belt. The linemans belt was very instinctive to use, and the Ropeman made it fast and simple. I install 7 sections, 28 ft to the top. I may use this stickladder with my saddle or tree seat setup when I get it together because deer can show up from multiple directions. So I can get going with a saddle before establishing the climbing method to use.

I learn something new almost every time that I visit this website. Just best to soak it all in and learn as much as you can. Good luck this year from northern Wisconsin.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I am moving toward saddle hunting. One thing I did a month or so ago was add a linemans belt to my HSS safety harness. This weekend I installed a stickladder while using the linemans belt for the first time. The experience was amazing, and really enjoyable compared to previous installs without a linemans belt. The linemans belt was very instinctive to use, and the Ropeman made it fast and simple. I install 7 sections, 28 ft to the top. I may use this stickladder with my saddle or tree seat setup when I get it together because deer can show up from multiple directions. So I can get going with a saddle before establishing the climbing method to use.
Something else you may find is the saddle is supper great for hanging lock ons when presetting them. A saddle is worth buying or making just for that, much safer and comphy.

Glad you’re using one. One of the complaints people make when switching to a saddle is dealing with the ropes. Everyone hunting from a tree should already be dealing with ropes.

YES and I do "deal with ropes"from my first stip on to the ladder.
I had a tree stand "incident" almost 30 years ago which seems to have left a permanent mark re safety. I use the 30ft safety line with a prussic faithfully. One thing about saddle hunting that surprises me is that it seems common to have a single point of attachment to the tree while hunting I am thinking to have a backup with a separate tree strap likely bridged by the lineman's belt. Yes, it will be a complication.

Last edited:
I hunted from a rock climbing harness before switching to a saddle and loved the freedom of movement it gave me on shots from a stand. The "tether" was never in the way.

Ditch the HSS and get a good rock climbing harness. Imo, much safer

So I've bought a rock climbing harness and it's on the way. I don't think my HSS is unsafe, and it has the loops in place for the lineman's belt, but I want a front connection for a redundant safety tether. I'll add a Sit-Drag as a first saddle, but will not hesitate to modify it. The RC harness has equipment loops to hang dump bags for the tether, and a tree belt or 2that will hold a bow hook and a hook for my backpack, and maybe a canteen/thermos bottle.

Something else you may find is the saddle is supper great for hanging lock ons when presetting them. A saddle is worth buying or making just for that, much safer and comphy.
I agree. Even though it may be an expensive “safety harness” option, I use it that way for hanging stands as well as sitting in pre-set stands in places I don’t want to actually “saddle hunt”. This was my first year with a saddle and it’s been a good bridge over to full in saddle hunting. It’s allowed me work out the kinks of saddle hunting comfort without being uncomfortable in the stand while hunting as I am not the type to practice and try things when not hunting. Just don’t have the time for it.

So I've bought a rock climbing harness and it's on the way. I don't think my HSS is unsafe, and it has the loops in place for the lineman's belt, but I want a front connection for a redundant safety tether. I'll add a Sit-Drag as a first saddle, but will not hesitate to modify it. The RC harness has equipment loops to hang dump bags for the tether, and a tree belt or 2that will hold a bow hook and a hook for my backpack, and maybe a canteen/thermos bottle.
That linesman belt will get you in a world of hurt bro. It won't keep you from falling, only a girth hitch will

That linesman belt will get you in a world of hurt bro. It won't keep you from falling, only a girth hitch will
I have been climbing with a linesman's belt and using a tether for 30 years. My linesman's belt has saved me several times without any problem. I climb with spurs. If you climb with spurs you will have one break loose eventually. You fall about 6 to 8 inches and the linesman's belt grabs. Spur back in and keep climbing. For me the scary part is not the linesman's belt, but sticks. I have known a few people who have fallen on sticks. It usually ends with stitches in jaw and or groin. The linesman's belt prevents a far fall but pulls them into the sticks, which frequently have sharp protruding edges and by nature are always directly in front of the climber. But you need confidence in your system. I have confidence in mine, from thousands of hours of experience. Do what you need to do to have confidence.

...For me the scary part is not the linesman's belt, but sticks. I have known a few people who have fallen on sticks. It usually ends with stitches in jaw and or groin. The linesman's belt prevents a far fall but pulls them into the sticks...

I've had a couple minor and one really difficult problems with climbers over the years. A linemans belt would have made each situation better. IMO lots of practice with ropes for the sticks is mandatory. I've done it with stick ladders but not individual sticks. I've got a place or 2 I can use screw in steps. Injury from those has gotta really hurt, and each one is in its own location. Nothing really consistent.

I have been climbing with a linesman's belt and using a tether for 30 years. My linesman's belt has saved me several times without any problem. I climb with spurs. If you climb with spurs you will have one break loose eventually. You fall about 6 to 8 inches and the linesman's belt grabs. Spur back in and keep climbing. For me the scary part is not the linesman's belt, but sticks. I have known a few people who have fallen on sticks. It usually ends with stitches in jaw and or groin. The linesman's belt prevents a far fall but pulls them into the sticks, which frequently have sharp protruding edges and by nature are always directly in front of the climber. But you need confidence in your system. I have confidence in mine, from thousands of hours of experience. Do what you need to do to have confidence.
I have confidence that the road im driving on will be there when I wake up and head to work. But occasionally there will be a pothole to come up

Back