• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Windy day scouting

Islandshooter

SH Member
So... Sitting here in Nebraska, thinking of scouting some new public. Wind is consistent 25 mph, gusts to 40 (hoping the tent is still standing!!). Still hunt/Scout today, or wait until the wind is manageable?? Thanks!

By the sounds of it, I take it your on an out of state hunt? If that's the case my 2 cents is get out there! Can get away with a lot with wind like that so you can get nice and close to bedded deer. Which you will need to do in order to make a decent shot with a bow with gusts like that! Good luck!

By the sounds of it, I take it your on an out of state hunt? If that's the case my 2 cents is get out there! Can get away with a lot with wind like that so you can get nice and close to bedded deer. Which you will need to do in order to make a decent shot with a bow with gusts like that! Good luck!
Thanks!! Had to batten down the hatches first!!

All i can tell you is those deer out there are more used to moving in higher winds and to give it a go if your on an out of state hunt...just be safe!

I was just out yesterday 15 mph constant with lots of gusts over 20+, so I also used it as a scouting day, the good news is you won't get heard by the deer, so yes absolutely I would scout or even find a nice spot sit and wait, I hunt on the ground anyway, wasn't till the very last hour of light wind died down and I called in a little 4 point with rattling.

So... Sitting here in Nebraska, thinking of scouting some new public. Wind is consistent 25 mph, gusts to 40 (hoping the tent is still standing!!). Still hunt/Scout today, or wait until the wind is manageable?? Thanks!
I'd rather scout on a rainy day, I'd hold tite...

I sat at the trail to this set for 30 minutes trying to decide whether or not to hunt it. I had this deer on camera near the spot pretty consistently. The wind was blowing 20-30 with gusts to 40+. I ultimately decided to go check a different spot out. I pulled the card from this camera a week later. He showed up about an hour after I would’ve gotten in the tree, with the wind in my favor. This camera is on the base of my tree. He scored 166. I know this because during that week another fellow killed him.

Have faith in your spot. Yea, it make affect movement some. But deer live outside. They do what they do.

F9BF4A70-673A-4FC1-A487-0D194657E290.jpeg01B6E4D2-0190-4658-8913-CFB21C89EB64.jpeg

I sat at the trail to this set for 30 minutes trying to decide whether or not to hunt it. I had this deer on camera near the spot pretty consistently. The wind was blowing 20-30 with gusts to 40+. I ultimately decided to go check a different spot out. I pulled the card from this camera a week later. He showed up about an hour after I would’ve gotten in the tree, with the wind in my favor. This camera is on the base of my tree. He scored 166. I know this because during that week another fellow killed him.

Have faith in your spot. Yea, it make affect movement some. But deer live outside. They do what they do.

View attachment 19165View attachment 19166

Ouch that’s a tough lesson

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back