• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

7 1/2 year old buck

DaveT1963

Vendor Rep
Went out yesterday to hunt one of my favorite stands. This is a stand where buck bedding is related to pre-rut and a wheat field. Takes three elements for this to fire up. North wind, Wheat sprouting and Last week of Ocr - first week of Nov. Finally had all three yesterday.

I snuck in 2 hours before daylight. Used the kayak to go 1 mile down river, then it's a 1/4 mile hike to bedding area. I had him come in just before shooting like at 18 yards. I could easily see him through binocs but just not enough for me to pick a spot. He went on into bedding. This is a buck I have been on for 3 years, I guess him to be 6 1/2 maybe 7 1/2....

The wind was going to shift just before dark so I decided not to sit all day. That and some crossbow toting "hunters" were causually walking and talking right in the bedding area .... clueless.

I figured the buck would relicate to another bedding area that sets up better for a south wind... which was going to happen that afternoon

After a quick lunch, I scouted my in and followed a rub scrape line right into bedding. I knew the evening thermals would pull towards the river so I set up with a very iffy current wind. Milk weed was all over the place that afternoon as the change from North to South began.

overall I had three bucks come in. a little spike, a small 7 and finally, right as the thermals kicked in, right at dusk here he came. 21 yard shot, down he went.

Then it was a 1/4 mile drag, and this guy was huge in body mass, then I got him and me on small kayak (rated at 350# max which I'm sure we violated). Thought we were going to sink her. 1 mile later I was at the truck exhausted but feeling very satisfied.

This buck at one time sported a very nice 130" 8pt rack. As it was he was a 7 pt and had gone down quite a bit.

Nevertheless, taking a target buck on first sit,with a move, setting up in a tree I'd never seen before, was very satisfying.... no matter what he carried on his head.

Now I'm going to rest a couple days and then I've got a couple other buckss I'm interested in.

shoot straight
20191103_053459.jpg20191103_053459.jpg20191103_080020.jpg20191103_080128.jpg20191103_080305.jpgDaveT1963

Last edited:
Congrats on a great hunt and mature trophy buck! What kind of kayak did you share with him on the ride out? I’ve been looking at a Lifetime Tamarack Angler 100 that I think has the same rating and I was wondering how it might fare in the same circumstances.

Back