• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Amazing the things they will do....

Stevey220

I'm privileged in that I own an immense amount of public land that is open to hunting. Of course I have to share it with hikers, bikers, and everyone else that lives here and I make sure to respect their space hoping I can get the same in return. Unfortunately it's also open to the activists. The things they do makes me want to laugh and cry at the same time.

[Jumping on the soapbox]
I was setup in a new area yesterday evening that I wanted to check out. Didn't have a whole lot of time and didn't know the area too well so I climbed a tree that looked decent. Unfortunately it was fairly close to the main road and parking lot but far enough to respect the no hunting zone rule. Anyways, about 2 hrs before dusk a white station wagon starts driving back and forth on the main road honking it's horn. Fortunately it leaves after several passes and I don't see it again. All the sudden, about 30 minutes later, I start to notice a lot of vehicle traffic. They then pulled into the parking lot and start setting up camping tents in the open field next to the parking lot.... ***, I didn't know the area was open to camping and plus it's 29 degrees!!! Of course they are talking very loudly and making a lot of noise. Still had about 30min of safe light but decided it wasn't worth sitting in the cold anymore so I packed up and decided to call it a night. Walking back to the parking lot, I passed by several on my way to the truck and they all continued to do their thing totally ignoring me as if I wasn't there. There were atleast 10 vehicles there including a utility trailer loaded with various equipment. As i was driving out, a truck pulled in towing a huge offset smoker so maybe I'm miss-interpreting the situation. Maybe they truly were intending to camp overnight there in below freezing weather. The polar bear camping club????
[Stepping off the soapbox]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I'm privileged in that I own an immense amount of public land that is open to hunting. Of course I have to share it with hikers, bikers, and everyone else that lives here and I make sure to respect their space hoping I can get the same in return. Unfortunately it's also open to the activists. The things they do makes me want to laugh and cry at the same time.

[Jumping on the soapbox]
I was setup in a new area yesterday evening that I wanted to check out. Didn't have a whole lot of time and didn't know the area too well so I climbed a tree that looked decent. Unfortunately it was fairly close to the main road and parking lot but far enough to respect the no hunting zone rule. Anyways, about 2 hrs before dusk a white station wagon starts driving back and forth on the main road honking it's horn. Fortunately it leaves after several passes and I don't see it again. All the sudden, about 30 minutes later, I start to notice a lot of vehicle traffic. They then pulled into the parking lot and start setting up camping tents in the open field next to the parking lot.... ***, I didn't know the area was open to camping and plus it's 29 degrees!!! Of course they are talking very loudly and making a lot of noise. Still had about 30min of safe light but decided it wasn't worth sitting in the cold anymore so I packed up and decided to call it a night. Walking back to the parking lot, I passed by several on my way to the truck and they all continued to do their thing totally ignoring me as if I wasn't there. There were atleast 10 vehicles there including a utility trailer loaded with various equipment. As i was driving out, a truck pulled in towing a huge offset smoker so maybe I'm miss-interpreting the situation. Maybe they truly were intending to camp overnight there in below freezing weather. The polar bear camping club????

Winter camping can be fun!

I also have had a women in a mini van drive up and down the closest road honking..... She was gone by the time i got to the road to get the tag number....there are hunter harassment laws and I've seen twice were fwc officer sided on the hunter/fisherman's side and gave a ticket to the holy, better than you, liberal. Not sure why nobody can mind there own buisness anymore.

Had a lady on the river here raising hell because some guys were on the river shooting “her” ducks. The state of SC owns all navigable water from the mean high water mark down here so it’s ours to hunt. GW shows up, she explains her dilemma and all she has been doing to keep them from shooting “her” ducks..... he promptly explains to her that SHE is in violation of the law and writes her a $400 Interfering with a Lawful Hunt/Hunter Harassment ticket.

We hunted on a local reservoir a couple years ago. A lady pulled in & cussed us to pieces while we got ready to head in. I didn’t engage but took her picture ( double birds I might add, real classy) then got a pic of her plates. She said she’ll make sure we don’t see anything. So 1/2 hour before dark her she comes down a main trail with a boat horn & 2 dogs. Best deer drive ever, she pushed 9-10 does past us & we both shot does that evening. She was waiting at the parking area w/a DNR officer, everything checked out on our end. We thanked her for the deer drive as she received a citation! It was awesome......

[Jumping on the soapbox]

As far as winter camping, I've been in camper here in northern Michigan for the last 10 days (minus 2 road trips home for shower and clothes dryer).
It was 13F when I got up yesterday, what's the word . . . refreshing?

A buddy of mine got harrassed on Federal land last weekend. Man and a woman saw him go in and proceeded to walk around banging on a 5 gallon bucket and a paint can. He got down to get the license number but they ran to their car and sped off when they saw him coming.

We hunted on a local reservoir a couple years ago. A lady pulled in & cussed us to pieces while we got ready to head in. I didn’t engage but took her picture ( double birds I might add, real classy) then got a pic of her plates. She said she’ll make sure we don’t see anything. So 1/2 hour before dark her she comes down a main trail with a boat horn & 2 dogs. Best deer drive ever, she pushed 9-10 does past us & we both shot does that evening. She was waiting at the parking area w/a DNR officer, everything checked out on our end. We thanked her for the deer drive as she received a citation! It was awesome......

This story really upsets me...

...upsets me that I can only like it once

I was set up on a field edge and a lady drove her car back to the edge of her woods and turned the radio wide open and walked into the woods yelling like she had lots her wits. two minutes passed and a string of does filed out into the field. tag filled and thank you.

Firstly as a Crazy Canadian I’ve taken my family tent camping in -10C in November!

My local county forest can get popular some weekends. It’s almost 2000 acres but there are cyclists (me sometimes) and horse back riders and hikers and other campers. I turn around and go to a smaller plot if it’s too busy. Sometimes the horse people are allowed to camp but normally that’s not allowed.

One time I was out small game hunting and suddenly spooked deer were running past me. Then teenagers were running past me in all different directions so I unloaded my shotgun and started walking back. Turned out it was a map and compass competition!

The thing is that forest is only a 40 min drive whereas the nearest crown land (full on government land) is 3 hours away.

(Fun fact: Being a middle age Canadian I just gave you the temp outside in C and the area of land I acres. I take body and cooking temps in F! I measure shooting ranges in yards but and driving distances in time or kilometres!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back