• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Would you let it slide?

Option 3 would be my first approach. Maybe they’re a new hunter and haven’t become thoroughly familiar with all of the regulations for that particular area. A million reasons why. Give them a chance, and don’t assume the worst. More likely to achieve your desired outcome. Less likely the person would be defensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd at least notify the authorities myself. I'm tired of the "just leave it and move on" mentality. I'd go find other spot to hunt yes, I'd let some one with authority over that jurisdiction know yes. Society needs to be held accountable. I had a situation where a guy drove his truck down the trail to get a buck he shot in an "earn a buck" piece of public. Through talking with him I know he didn't earn a buck yet. And you're not supposed to drive your truck down the trail. Especially where others were hunting, me. Regardless if the hunter knows the rules or not the warden will see the truth, I'm sure of it.

It bothered me and I wasn't going to say anything. Then I decided to. I don't regret it at all. Why should there be the majority following the rules and the minority get away with doing whatever they want?

-Jeremy

Food for thought, You call game warden, he gets in trouble. It’s public land so he’ll probably be back, then he finds you in that spot one day. 1 he don’t care about breaking the law, and 2 he now thinks it’s your fault he got that ticket. Not saying do it or don’t do it. Just saying know that it probably doesn’t end there either way.
So live in fear of reprisal? No way.

leave a note and if I was determined on hunting the area I would back off 150yrds towards the thick cover and kill the deer first.

I couldn't care less if someone did that, but if I wanted to hunt there I'd just go in early and shine my light at them to wave them off. No big deal, it's public land and just cause they put a stand there doesn't make it there spot and most people realize that. Also just cause they put a stand there it doesn't necessarily all of a sudden ruin the spot, especially if it's a rut travel corridor. Sometimes on heavy pressured land you need to be competitive and beat someone to a spot, now you at least have the benefit of knowing someone is probably gonna try to go there.

Report it. Game wardens are out-manned. I would bet that you ask any DFG official and he or she will tell you they rely on help from the law-abiding public in their enforcement efforts. The public land I hunt is crowded enough without cheaters.

Try option 3 first. If not rectified, get there early on opening day and sit in his stand. Bet he won't preposition like that again. If you need to up the anti drop a deuce on the seat.

I would be more of game warden than hunter around here if I reported everything like this. If it’s something really bad and I’m certain that’s what happened I’d make a call.

I decided to go the route of letting the warden handle it. To add a bit of additional info, the stand was also put up within an area of the park that is closed to hunting (must be at least 100 yards away from the hiking trail that goes through the property). The stand was only 180 feet away from the trail according to OnX.

I plan to mentor my son on the property (won’t be hunting myself) so decided to let the warden deal with it. We will be headed to other areas of the property in any case.

No offense intended here but I gotta ask. So I guess you may have saved yourself from outlawing as well? Way inside the no hunt zone?

I decided to go the route of letting the warden handle it. To add a bit of additional info, the stand was also put up within an area of the park that is closed to hunting (must be at least 100 yards away from the hiking trail that goes through the property). The stand was only 180 feet away from the trail according to OnX.

I plan to mentor my son on the property (won’t be hunting myself) so decided to let the warden deal with it. We will be headed to other areas of the property in any case.

So you were going to hang your stand in the no hunt zone? Confused.

I think you did the right thing. Saying maybe he/she is new so should be given a break makes no sense to me. If I were a new hunter to the area, I would make double sure as a responsible hunter to learn the rules before heading out. The fact that he/she broke the rules tells me he/she is either new but irresponsible or belligerent but either way needs to be taught a lesson.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

You are not the Law. Report to wardon or call 1800 game thief

So you were going to hang your stand in the no hunt zone? Confused.

No. I wasn’t. The guys stand was only about 50 yards inside the no hunting zone. If I was to hunt on this part of the property the tree we would set up in is about 100 yards away in the open area.

Last edited:
Back