• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

How to rotate both directions and not slack tether?

raisins

SH Member
DaveT has a recent YouTube vid where he discusses not rotating the wrong way as it will slack the girth hitch around tree.

I’m planning to get a saddle this spring.

Is there a workaround for this issue? I thought moving both directions was important.

To be honest I've never had any issues with inducing slack into my girth hitch based on which direction I rotated around the tree (and that's with an oval link which is more susceptible to slippage than a pure rope girth hitch). If you're really worried about your girth hitch sagging down your tree you can just girth hitch the rope to itself, see image for reference.
index.php

X3 Never been a problem for me. I run the tether around tree twice if it's skinny, or run it through the sewn eye a second time and pull.

I’ve never had a problem with mine loosening up moving one way or the other. Should I decide to reposition around the tree mid hunt or climb one side and hunt from the other there is definitely one way that is easier to rotate the entire hitch.

This is why I love a good platform. I shoot righty and what I do is grab my tether, put my right hand over the top, and roll myself up in the tether while standing up. So, I’m standing like a typical stand and still have the tether kinda tight. Then it’s a breeze to make an off side shot but takes a couple seconds to get there.

Back