• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Heated Insoles??

Letemgrowitllshow

Anybody have a pair of heated insoles that they like? My feet are the first thing to go and it ended and all day hunt at 11 AM last Friday. My feet do ok down to 35ish but once it gets colder than that it’s only a matter of time....

Any other cold weather foot warming techniques are welcome as well!

artic shield boot covers with a hand warmer thrown in each, actually put the hand warmer on the top side of your boot inside the cover. I am interested to hear about insoles as well though. I haven't tried my boot covers when saddle hunting yet, not sure how that will go.

I have the thermacell rechargeable insole inserts with controller. They’re awesome and hunting in cold conditions in Wisconsin they’re worth every penny imo. They have two heat settings and will run continuously for a few hours. I just turn them on when my feet get a chill and within a few minutes my feet are toasty and I turn them back off. They’re also pretty comfy insoles for hiking. Also, since they replace the current insoles in your boots you can buy boots that fit properly instead of buying oversized to fit super heavy socks and hand warmers. This makes for much easier hikes in and out of long locations. I’ve gotten away with using my medium insulated hunting boots that are way lighter and easier to hike in then my heavy ones on some hunts below zero and turning the insoles on and off intermittently as needed have had warm feet for the entire day.

artic shield boot covers with a hand warmer thrown in each, actually put the hand warmer on the top side of your boot inside the cover. I am interested to hear about insoles as well though. I haven't tried my boot covers when saddle hunting yet, not sure how that will go.
I have the boot covers. Threw a hand warmer in with them like you stated. It was ok... kinda awkward on a platform

I have the thermacell rechargeable insole inserts with controller. ..... They’re also pretty comfy insoles for hiking.
I have the electric insoles with the remote and I do not really care for the comfort. I bought mine a while back when gander was going out of business so I may have an other model. They heat really well though.
Get a pair of alpaca socks...
I got a pair of alpaca socks for this year and love them so far.

I’m also going to give the boot blankets a try for gun season here in Wisconsin. So I’ll have to report back.

The thermacell heated insoles are very thick. Unless you have tall boots your feet are pressed against the top of you boots. They heat well for three hours no matter what in my experience then your feet get colder than they would without them being in there. I usually wear a size 12 boot and was using these in a size 14 and still had issues with how thick they are. Being so tight against the edge of your boot, your feet get colder than they would without them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get a pair of alpaca socks...I wore some for the first time the other day with temps down to 25 and sat for 6 hours and never got cold.

Is there any data (scientific or not) supporting that these do better than merino wool?

I dumped a lot of money into merino wool socks....all the way from thin ankle high socks to knee high extremely thick ones for ambush hunting. I have one pair of alpaca socks but I haven't noticed them being to different...

Is there any data (scientific or not) supporting that these do better than merino wool?

I dumped a lot of money into merino wool socks....all the way from thin ankle high socks to knee high extremely thick ones for ambush hunting. I have one pair of alpaca socks but I haven't noticed them being to different...
Idk the exact data, but the hairs are supposed to be more hollow than merino.

The thermacell heated insoles are very thick. Unless you have tall boots your feet are pressed against the top of you boots.

I had this issue as well until I took my boots insole out and replaced it with the thermacell. It’s meant to replace the current insole not sit on top of it. I don’t leave my insoles on continuously. Turn them on for 5-10 minutes at a time every hour or so when my feet start to feel cold. Using them this way I get an entire day or more out of each charge.

idk the science behind it, but I know that my feet always sweat which in turn causes them to freeze after a couple of hours if its below freezing. My feet were still sweaty, but they didn't get cold at all with the alpaca socks.

My feet are TERRIBLE when it comes to getting cold. Anything 40 and below and I can't sit for more than a couple of hours. I've tried the best merino with no luck. Very pricey, but Gerbing Gyde 7v heated socks have been a blessing for me. They are going on 5 yrs old now with zero issues. The batteries last a long time as well. They have definitely kept me in the stand.

idk the science behind it, but I know that my feet always sweat which in turn causes them to freeze after a couple of hours if its below freezing. My feet were still sweaty, but they didn't get cold at all with the alpaca socks.
I keep preaching it on here, but use unscented antiperspirant on your feet in cold weather. Put it on before you hit the bed at night, then again before you head out for the day. Chemically, it is more effective when used and allowed to "soak" in vs. applying only before you head out. I hunted in 22 deg on Saturday morning in medium weight merino socks with Tingley boots and though my feet got a little chill, it was not long lasting and very tolerable. I wore them last fall in 18 deg walking through icy water in a bottom and never got cold. No sweat is the key to happier feet!

I keep preaching it on here, but use unscented antiperspirant on your feet in cold weather. Put it on before you hit the bed at night, then again before you head out for the day. Chemically, it is more effective when used and allowed to "soak" in vs. applying only before you head out. I hunted in 22 deg on Saturday morning in medium weight merino socks with Tingley boots and though my feet got a little chill, it was not long lasting and very tolerable. I wore them last fall in 18 deg walking through icy water in a bottom and never got cold. No sweat is the key to happier feet!
Yep. Usually on a hunt I apply unscented antiperspirant to my pits and groin. Cold days I apply it to my feet. Medium weight wool socks and uninsulated rubber boots. Don't run the theater wide-open on the drove there, and usually don actually out the boots on until I get out of the truck. Keep your core warm and your body won't shut off blood to your extremities to "save" your vital organs.

If its not antiperspirant on the feet, its fogging areas with axe body spray. hahaha preach it!

If its not antiperspirant on the feet, its fogging areas with axe body spray. hahaha preach it!
I own stock in those companies, need more sales:) I learned the body spray thing from an older guy that took greater lengths than that. He would gather hair from the beauty shop and scatter it around illegal stands. My method is much quicker.

I've gone through 2 sets of the thermacell pro series. The the red/black version with the removable battery for charging. Spent $150 per set and to this day consider it the worst hunting investment I have ever made.

- Terribly uncomfortable: the removable battery is held in the sole by a metal clip. I can feel that metal clip dig into the bottom of my foot when walking.

- Doesn't turn on half the time: if the battery terminals are not connected properly or become miss aligned while walking, which seems to happen a lot, you have to take off you boot to access the battery and readjust.

- Battery life is horribly inconsistent: sometimes runs 4 hours and sometimes only runs for 2 hours. Worse is one side usually dies before the other side. Both starting with equally fully charged batteries.

When they work, they are a god send but too many times they've let me down. Now it sits in it's nifty storage bag in a drawer collecting dust. I've heard people had better luck with the original version without the removable battery.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Anybody have a pair of heated insoles that they like? My feet are the first thing to go and it ended and all day hunt at 11 AM last Friday. My feet do ok down to 35ish but once it gets colder than that it’s only a matter of time....

Any other cold weather foot warming techniques are welcome as well!
What kind of boots are you wearing?

I have problems with my feet getting cold so I made some changes this year. I have a pair of Cabelas 1200 gram rubber boots that have not kept my feet warm in the past. This year with the boots I am wearing a liner sock and Merino wool socks with Heated insoles. for the most part this is good to about mid 20's anything lower I add Muckluks over the boots and I have been toasty warm at 14F this year.

What kind of boots are you wearing?
I’m currently wearing some insulated muck boots. I like having rubber boots on because I’m crossing water or wetlands a lot of times, but in the MN cold I’m willing to wear just about any boot that will allow me to make it through an all day rut sit.

Back