• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Team 15 discussion thread

How's everyone been doing the past week? I sat on Saturday morning in an area that was hot last year but saw 3 does that showed up while I was lowering my bow to the ground. Probably won't be out again for the next two weeks due to other commitments.

6c43ded81fd713abb9fe11ae6e6daa11.jpg

There it is boys. No monster but 1st buck with a bow and from public land!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Congrats! Public land is hard.

Congrats! Public land is hard.

Yes it is. The crazy part is all 4 of us caught something and were seriously ill for 2 weeks. I lost 12-14 pounds. Dozens of test and still don’t know what it was. I’m doing one more test for lime disease next week. Haven’t been back in the woods since. That’s going to change next week tho!!

I've been hunting a couple different bucks pretty hard - had 3 close calls with a couple mature 8 points (for Michigan). Went out gun hunting, but didn't see any of them (of course).

Had my number one buck show up on camera for the first time this year on the 12th (right before gun season). Don't know if he will make it through, but he's a wise old guy so maybe he will.. I believe he is 5.5 yo this year.

I might get out next weekend and try to shoot a doe to get some meat.

Yes it is. The crazy part is all 4 of us caught something and were seriously ill for 2 weeks. I lost 12-14 pounds. Dozens of test and still don’t know what it was. I’m doing one more test for lime disease next week. Haven’t been back in the woods since. That’s going to change next week tho!!

Wow, that's unfortunate! Hope all is well and you get some time in the woods soon!

Hes really busted up but he will eat he was the 9th buck i saw that day along with 10 does and a button buck

Attachments

• 20191116_165649.jpg
    20191116_165649.jpg
    270.7 KB · Views: 15
We're in a respectable not last place. A lot more hunting left for me. Went out for the afternoon of the rifle opener and 20 minutes after setting up noticed the picked clean carcass of a nice tall 8 pointer ten yards from the base of my tree. Saw some does down the hill behind me. Headed to Coopers Rock state forest again to hunt Friday and Saturday evenings and will probably go out next Saturday for the last rifle hunt. What's everyone else's plans for the remainder of the year?

Rut around here is Christmas time. And I’d be pretty upset if I don’t get a doe. I was down a solid 3 weeks from that mysterious hunting trip revenge virus/ bacteria or whatever but I’m up at ready for them now. Soon!!

I don’t plan on taking any more animals this year. If my son is up for it, I may still get in a couple sits with him but that will be as a mentor with no weapon for me.

Well it's been a fun season for me thus far, had 3 encounters with 3 different 8 points this year with my bow but couldn't get a shot opportunity. Ended up taking a doe with my .450 on the 23rd - had to get some meat in the freezer and get on the board!

2019 Doe.jpg

Congrats on a freezer filler Savux! Any good stories or lessons learned to go with the 8ptr encounters?

Congrats on a freezer filler Savux! Any good stories or lessons learned to go with the 8ptr encounters?

Thanks! Two of the 8 point encounters were during the rut in the afternoon - so that has been one of the big takeaways for me the past couple of years. Those afternoons during the rut are killer.

The other 8 point came out on my weak side. I tried to turn counter clockwise to get back to him, but he was moving too quick for me to turn and get a shot. I was set up on a trail to my strong side, but he didn't use it one on that particular day. I think that weak side shot is something that I need to work on this off season.

Any lessons learned on your end?

My big lesson learned this year is I need to practice a hunting pre-shot routine when target practicing. I finally got over a hump of finding them and having great encounters. I had been pressing so hard to kill one the past 2 years that I came unglued at the moment of truth with bad shot choices. I can drive tacks on the practice target and know making a good shot on a live animal is a whole different ballgame than shooting a fixed target but I had a few epic shot failures that had me second guessing my abilities.

This was my first year in a saddle and was my most enjoyable year of hunting ever.

Back