• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Arctic shield boot covers

I tried my artic shields yesterday with my predator. Not bad, didn’t love it. Little bulky and a little noise. Not as bad as I thought. I replaced my stock insoles with some lacrosse 6mm felt insoles before I left the house the morning (forgot I had them in the closet till last night). My feet are not cold at the moment in my uninsulated Danner Vitals and it’s 26 degrees. I also ordered a pair of the heated insoles to try. I’ll see how those do.

I picked up some of those boot blankets at the farm and fleet the other day. So I’ll be checking them out at some point this season. Pretty warm here this week so they likely won’t get used soon, but I’m not exactly excited to use them either I guess.

Had em on today. Unisulated boots with “hot handz” insoles. They took the edge off. I think a key was having my boots completely loose so they could vent and stay dry.

I think I found a solution for rubber boots. I hunted this weekend in single digit temperatures wearing Muck Arctic rubber boots due to snow. Attempted to put some adhesive toe warmers on but I couldn't get my boots off while in the saddle. Since the package was already open, I cleaned off my boots as best I could and stuck them right on my boots then put on the artic shields. That actually worked!!! I have a theory on why this finally worked but I'm going to try it a few more times to see if I consistently get the same results.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I think I found a solution for rubber boots. I hunted this weekend in single digit temperatures wearing Muck Arctic rubber boots due to snow. Attempted to put some adhesive toe warmers on but I couldn't get my boots off while in the saddle. Since the package was already open, I cleaned off my boots as best I could and stuck them right on my boots then put on the artic shields. That actually worked!!! I have a theory on why this finally worked but I'm going to try it a few more times to see if I consistently get the same results.

Kind of like this?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Yup basically. The ones I used were the ones specific for toes and inside the shoes. Supposedly they don't require oxygen to work. The key though is with rubber boots, the chemical warmers have to be in direct contact.

Same for me, hand warmers outside of the boot, on top of my toes. Heats up the leather enough that you can press your toes up against the top and feel the heat. I used to wrap my boots and warmers in an old sweatshirt, now I use the Arctic shields.

In my opinion, the Arctic shields make a lot of noise. Mostly because they are bulky, and scrape the tree unintentionally. When being very careful, it can be avoided, but when it does scrape, it's loud.

I've been using the boot blankets on my platform with no issues. Now due to noise I probably wouldnt use them while bow hunting, but gun hunting I love umScreenshot_20191213-201428_Gallery.jpg

i have a pair and they work great. one downside is they dont fit over my rubber lacrosse boots very good. i usually where them when i am running waders out through the marsh to keep my feet warm. if you want them for late season to fit over some big boots i would suggest going almost 2 sizes big depending on how bulky your boots are.

I always had an issue keeping my feet warm in rubber boots because my feet were always soaked so switched to leather boots early season and Baffin Impact pac boots late season (one of the few pac boots avail in size 15). I've been using the Cabela's boot blankets for about 15 years (had to sew in a new zipper a few years back) which are easier to put on over larger boots than the shields. I size up to 15 and the blankets easily fit over the pac boots, but I haven't needed to put the blankets on this year yet because I also use the thermacell heated insoles; putting them on high for 10 minutes and then on low for rest of sit keeps me warm, but only with the pac boots. If the batteries are dead, I put hand warmers in the boot blankets under the toe of the boot. The blankets breathe well so more oxygen gets in to keep the warmers activated.

Sent from up in a tree

Last edited:
Kind of like this?

I'm going to try this, thanks for posting.

I am basically using my Arctic Shield boot blankets as a holder for my Hot Hands Adhesive Body Warmers that I stick on my toe. As the guy in the video said, the ones that go inside your boot don't work at all because they use up all the oxygen in the boot and then "go out".

I'd like to be able to stick my hot hands on my boot, maybe give it a wrap of masking tape, and THEN roll something over the toe to further trap the heat and keep everything neat. The end of a huge, stretchy gym sock would be a ideal....but I don't think they make socks big enough to go over a size 12 wide boot.

Anyone have a DIY idea for that?

I thought about stitching a pocket to hold the hand warmer inside my artic shields just over the toe area but I'm not sure if it will decrease the insulation capability of the shields.

I thought about stitching a pocket to hold the hand warmer inside my artic shields just over the toe area but I'm not sure if it will decrease the insulation capability of the shields.

I use the adhesive body warmer (actually cheaper right now than the super warmers at walmart) and they just stick on, so you don't need a pocket. You can place it right on the toe.

Kind of like this?

Warning

This does not work at all

I tried it today

30 F and 15 mph winds

The cold air removes the heat so quickly that the entire warmer barely feels warm to the touch and never warms the boot

You have to trap some heat with insulation

Maybe it worked for the guy in video because he mentioned being in a blind (out of the wind)

Last edited:
Back