• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

A safer a detailed way to modify a hawk stick

I was alerted to this video and used it to inform my Hawk Helium shortening (done last week). I went with a 23" step by centering my step hole in one of the wide areas of solid aluminum. If I kept original spacing, this then put my stand off half in an area with a cut out. So, I moved that up less than an inch and centered it in an area without cut outs. It still stacks just fine, but a little tighter on the bottom. I'm glad I watched this video before cutting my sticks.

On my first stick, I tried clamping the cut portion to the stick as a template (and not using a drill press). I didn't like this and went to a drill press with better results.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Thanks for taking the time to make this video. I just bought a set of these and was struggling with the measurements that I had seen from other resources. I really like the idea of using the drops as a template! Good luck on the rest of your season!

Thanks for taking the time to make this video. I just bought a set of these and was struggling with the measurements that I had seen from other resources. I really like the idea of using the drops as a template! Good luck on the rest of your season!

If you aren't using a drill press also, be careful. my drill bit grabbed the template pieces and spun them out from under the clamp. That was on the first stick, and it was enough to make me give up and go buy a cheap drill press from Harbor Freight. I'm not an experienced metal worker at all, so there's that.

If you aren't using a drill press also, be careful. my drill bit grabbed the template pieces and spun them out from under the clamp. That was on the first stick, and it was enough to make me give up and go buy a cheap drill press from Harbor Freight. I'm not an experienced metal worker at all, so there's that.

That’s good to know. I’ll make sure to use a drill press.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been centering my holes since I first starting modifying sticks - last 5 years. Who is recommending them to be placed near the slots? I use a square, sharpie and bandsaw to cut mine, it is not that hard to get a straight cut.

Been centering my holes since I first starting modifying sticks - last 5 years. Who is recommending them to be placed near the slots? I use a square, sharpie and bandsaw to cut mine, it is not that hard to get a straight cut.
That's where they end up in this tutorial just based on the cut off length specified. Its easy to make the necessary adjustments though.

5 speed 8 inch drill press at harbor freight is $60

If you need one

Finally bought one

Should have years ago
Careful, you get what you pay for there. I bought it and destroyed it when I made my API sticks into beasties. I used quality bits, but the press had a slight wobble from the get go and got worse as I went.

Careful, you get what you pay for there. I bought it and destroyed it when I made my API sticks into beasties. I used quality bits, but the press had a slight wobble from the get go and got worse as I went.
I use Harbor Freight for disposables (latex gloves) and tools I will likely only use 1 time. I'll hold out for a drill press on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace...

I use Harbor Freight for disposables (latex gloves) and tools I will likely only use 1 time. I'll hold out for a drill press on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace...

I know it's not great, but I'll use this drill press maybe 3 times a year. Working so far...

Back