• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

It's just...a little crush... - Review of the JX3 Hybrid Saddle

...the leg straps tend to want to slide off pack when folded up

Crossing the straps behind the whale tale stopped that from happening.
eee68b88edb89eeaf7177c475ebd131b.jpg

I have used my Hybrid on every hunt this year and done multiple sits of 6 hrs or more with the longest being 10 hrs. It is more comfortable than my Summit Goliath which has now been sold. This past weekend I was planning on hunting a distant saddle way up on the mountain that I had not been to this year. It’s well over an hour hike with over 700 feet of elevation gain. I started thinking to myself that I needed to just take my backpack with My millennium tree seat and be as light as possible due to the distance and the climb. Before removing all of my gear from my hybrid I decided to weigh my hybrid set up fully loaded with water, food, LW Handclimber and all my gear, and compare it to my backpack fully loaded with millennium Tree seat. To my surprise there was only a difference of around 5 1/2 pounds. The fact that the JX 3 hybrid doubles as a pack frame and carries just as comfortably as my Horn Hunter pack is an absolute game changer. At 56 years of age I can carry this for miles into the Blue ridge mountains And hunt comfortably all day.

Any pics or ideas on how to carry it in with a large back pack? Im trying to figure out how to get this thing to the woods with my meat hauler pack on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any pics or ideas on how to carry it in with a large back pack? Im trying to figure out how to get this thing to the woods with my meat hauler pack on.

I think you’d be better off strapping they pack to the hybrid. Which would then defeat the purpose of bringing Both. Which I also think there’s no point to.

Why wouldn’t you just use the hybrid? You’ve got me curious

Minute 15:55 of this video shows how he uses it as a pack frame. You could probably just use a garbage bag for the meat. And this is a long video but worth the full watch.

Sent from up in a tree

I have used my Hybrid on every hunt this year and done multiple sits of 6 hrs or more with the longest being 10 hrs. It is more comfortable than my Summit Goliath which has now been sold. This past weekend I was planning on hunting a distant saddle way up on the mountain that I had not been to this year. It’s well over an hour hike with over 700 feet of elevation gain. I started thinking to myself that I needed to just take my backpack with My millennium tree seat and be as light as possible due to the distance and the climb. Before removing all of my gear from my hybrid I decided to weigh my hybrid set up fully loaded with water, food, LW Handclimber and all my gear, and compare it to my backpack fully loaded with millennium Tree seat. To my surprise there was only a difference of around 5 1/2 pounds. The fact that the JX 3 hybrid doubles as a pack frame and carries just as comfortably as my Horn Hunter pack is an absolute game changer. At 56 years of age I can carry this for miles into the Blue ridge mountains And hunt comfortably all day.

Man, I can't agree more with @jbogg here. It's light, comfortable, and really versatile!
I carried mine several miles on the cohutta wilderness and if you know anything about cohutta, you know it's a little hilly.
I am still trying to figure out a way to make it a proper ground seat or blind seat, but that's perhaps an off season DIY project for me to tackle.

A little more padding could be Diy’d on the waist belt, and I believe some folks have improvised some load lifters. It would bug me to strap the JX3 to an additional pack.

Man, I can't agree more with @jbogg here. It's light, comfortable, and really versatile!
I carried mine several miles on the cohutta wilderness and if you know anything about cohutta, you know it's a little hilly.
I am still trying to figure out a way to make it a proper ground seat or blind seat, but that's perhaps an off season DIY project for me to tackle.

What exactly is it ‘missing’ for you as a ground seat?

Anyone shooting longbows out of them? I am really thinking about getting one for my daughter as she has a fear of heights and I think this would ease her fear a bit?

What exactly is it ‘missing’ for you as a ground seat?

Nothing in particular is missing, I would just like the ability to put "legs" on it for a blind hunt. Sometimes I hunt a small parcel of leased private land (club land) and I use a small hunting blind for this one spot that has no good trees to get in. I've actually killed a few, my first two deer ever, out of that blind, BUT, after spending hours in the JX3 sitting in the normal blind chair feels like I am in a torture device (Exaggeration). I messaged with John about a possible way of making the Stacked sticks legs for the JX3, but I am no engineer, shoot, I am not even that good at DIY-ing stuff.

So, I get the idea that you can sit on the ground and I am hoping to use that feature on an upcoming mountain hunt, but the ability to have it chair height would be a neat additional feature.

@neonomad I don't think anyone straps the JX3 to a pack, rather they strap a pack to the JX3 - I don't use a fancy pack or a large pack and it fits nicely with my LWHC in between the two sections of the JX3. I also try to pack things as flat as possible.

Nothing in particular is missing, I would just like the ability to put "legs" on it for a blind hunt.

this would be great. if you ever figure this out, post it up. i hunt from a blind from time to time and would love to leave the blind chair at home.

I have hunted the mountains of North Georgia exclusively for the past three years. There are many places in the mountains where there is no advantage to being up in a tree. Much of the topography is so steep that you can sit at ground level and cover lots of ground with a rifle overlooking a high gap or saddle. However, many times the topo is so steep that there is no practical way to sit in a ground chair, and even using something like the millennium tree seat on the downhill side of the tree is not practical. Due to the slope, your feet end up too far below you to sit comfortably. Enter the JX 3 hybrid. I have hung from my Tether several times with my feet firmly on the ground. I can sit on the uphill side of the tree facing downhill and easily pivot around the tree for a shot. At that point it’s essentially a ground seat suspended from a tether. The versatility of the hybrid continues to impress me.

Nothing in particular is missing, I would just like the ability to put "legs" on it for a blind hunt. Sometimes I hunt a small parcel of leased private land (club land) and I use a small hunting blind for this one spot that has no good trees to get in. I've actually killed a few, my first two deer ever, out of that blind, BUT, after spending hours in the JX3 sitting in the normal blind chair feels like I am in a torture device (Exaggeration). I messaged with John about a possible way of making the Stacked sticks legs for the JX3, but I am no engineer, shoot, I am not even that good at DIY-ing stuff.

So, I get the idea that you can sit on the ground and I am hoping to use that feature on an upcoming mountain hunt, but the ability to have it chair height would be a neat additional feature.

@neonomad I don't think anyone straps the JX3 to a pack, rather they strap a pack to the JX3 - I don't use a fancy pack or a large pack and it fits nicely with my LWHC in between the two sections of the JX3. I also try to pack things as flat as possible.

A small shovel to raise the seat and lower the feet would allow you to use it as a ground seat. Except in Canada. The ground is frozen. But snow works to raise the seat too

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I have thought about using the JX3 as a "ground" seat by setting the tether low, in fact, I have hunted like this one time. I hadn't thought about the versatility in the mountains. .. great idea. THANKS

@Ontariofarmer I am going to work on something. LIke you, I occasionally hit a flat land blind and the incredible comfort of the JX3... I just don't ever really want to leave it at home! HAHA

65fe2413da2e6f27ac4d59139d8af306.jpg

@splatek I was referring to a few posts up where think he’s specifically asking about doing this. Correct, I’m not hauling in my hauler.

Come on man. Don't just post a pic of the perfect solution. Give some details! Where do I send my cash? Paypal ready.....
Pretty sure @kyler1945 posted this a while back as well and said John was working on this. It really does round out the JX3 to beyond "versatile"...

Back