• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New pellet grill... what do I need to cook?

Ya, I have figured out that lots of pellet companies have some really CRAPPY stuff in their pellets....

Ya, basically, smoking meats is a fast track to cancer as is. Some research has shown that any form of cooking animal proteins is carcinogenic. Now we are adding chems to the pellets. Merica!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ya, basically, smoking meats is a fast track to cancer as is. Some research has shown that any form of cooking animal proteins is carcinogenic. Now we are adding chems to the pellets. Merica!

You gotta go somehow... I’ll take the carcinogenic red meat over almost any other method.
Going out during coitus beats out the red meat though...

Amen. I have moved towards only eating the meat that I kill for health reasons. Its been 62 days no meat until my doe yesterday. I used some lumberjack “competition blend” flavored pellets (6.99 p/20lbs) on the loins. It was amazing. What did you go with?

221 with baby backs. 321 with st louis. Pork shoulder is tough to screw up. Look up Memphis Dust in the amazing ribs website for a rub. It's one of my favorites for pork

Are the 3-2-1 ribs falling off the bone?

Amen. I have moved towards only eating the meat that I kill for health reasons. Its been 62 days no meat until my doe yesterday. I used some lumberjack “competition blend” flavored pellets (6.99 p/20lbs) on the loins. It was amazing. What did you go with?

Haha, that’s the same blend of pellets my wife got me for the first batch.

Are the 3-2-1 ribs falling off the bone?

321 baby back ribs will start to fall off the bone. Imo that's overcooked, there's not enough chew for good texture. But if you don't go long enough they can be chewy. I would recommend starting with a 221. You could always add a bit of time and go 222 if they aren't cooked long enough. You can add cooking time, can't take it away.

Good advice. I hate when ribs fall off bone.

First night the family voted me down and we did dogs and brauts...

Today, I did 1/2 a pork butt. Turned out fricking awesome!!!! So tender and juicy.

1e71e64b1216366e4563628e7c8c1e51.jpg

bed2f4278a2e2ab81411a733da77e813.jpg

f73ec3a4d30f59764008e78e943ba4cb.jpg

I was surprised how quickly this thing eats through pellets, though. I have only done the initial burn out, a set of hot dogs, and a 5 hour smoke for the pork butt. Less than 7 hours and I am already down to about 1/4 bag. I’ll have to keep that in mind for longer smokes.

Last edited:
We had a little surf and turf. The tomahawk Turned out amazing we injected it and let it marinate overnight.

First night the family voted me down and we did dogs and brauts...

Today, I did 1/2 a pork butt. Turned out fricking awesome!!!! So tender and juicy.

1e71e64b1216366e4563628e7c8c1e51.jpg

bed2f4278a2e2ab81411a733da77e813.jpg

f73ec3a4d30f59764008e78e943ba4cb.jpg

I was surprised how quickly this thing eats through pellets, though. I have only done the initial burn out, a set of hot dogs, and a 5 hour smoke for the pork butt. Less than 7 hours and I am already down to about 1/4 bag. I’ll have to keep that in mind for longer smokes.
Looks like you have a few extra meals also.

Believe it or not we finished the cowboy steak with a dry coffee rub, it was not overbearing, but there was a little hint of sweetness to it. Finished the fried shrimp off with a charred peach bourbon glaze. BAM!!!

Believe it or not we finished the cowboy steak with a dry coffee rub, it was not overbearing, but there was a little hint of sweetness to it. Finished the fried shrimp off with a charred peach bourbon glaze. BAM!!!

I love coffee rubs for steaks!!!
I have been doing sous vide for steaks for a while, but may have go to reverse sear with this sucker.

I stole my recipe from “Sous Vide Everything” on YouTube. It is the absolute bomb!

Guga’s Rub #B
2tbsp coffee
2tbsp chili powder
2tbsp brown sugar
3tbsp salt
1tsp fresh ground black pepper
1tsp paprika
2tsp garlic powder
1tsp onion powder
1tsp cayenne

................................................................................All climbing methods, platforms, saddle designs, and/or use of materials possibly mentioned in the post above are not peer reviewed for safety, and should only be used as an example of my own method. Do your own research and testing before becoming confident in any DIY solution to support your life.
-IkemanTx

Back