• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New Scouting Video Series (looking for ideas)

DaveT1963

Vendor Rep
Getting ready to start another year of scouting, inventorying and prep work for 2020 deer season. I plan on doing another scouting video series for those that followed along last time. Last time I did a general scouting series. This year I am going to do a series on river and creek bottoms (100% public land) that will cover everything from selecting an area, cyber scouting, boots on ground, trail camera strategies, prep work and tools of the trade). I am also considering doing a second series on a different habitat type. I am really leaning towards cattle/range land type environments as I just don't see a lot of that out there and it is one of the major terrain features out this way.... looking for suggestions at this point. let me know if there is something you want me to cover or a habitat type that we encounter in the South/Southwest.

I would like some more, in-depth learning on what you have been doing all along. Let me make that clearer. I was watching your YouTube video last week, a 2 part one, where you had your maps, circled for areas you wanted to explore and had the red and blue lines for am\pm. I understand (i think) transitions and creek crossing, but sometimes I fail to grasp the hot spots of ,say, a thicket on the edge of hardwoods, should be a not spot but where and why, I did learn something new about ox bows watching that series. And also learned that boots on the ground are key. It does help to be able to pick where your boots should be walking though. There is a lot written on scouting with aerials, if you have some favorite please share. My hunting area is flat a a pancake so there aren't really any saddles but picking up high points to see if deer are getting out of the water and bedding, I use Google earth and on X, anything better, gaia?

I have enjoyed watching your videos. What you have planned sounds good. Make sure you show us on maps as well as video. I get more out of that than a 10 minute monologue trying to verbally explain things. Maybe go over some of your previous successful hunts? Unsuccessful hunts and why they weren't.

Ok we will start with maps. Wish I was set up to do live Q & A. Send me your map questions.

As far as big timber, I'll see what I can do but the nearest to me is 4 hours. That might be easier if you send in maps and we can break them down.

I get flat land :) it really is hard to capture all the nuisances on a phone video. Anyone want to tag along as a camera guy?

Long time listener, first time caller... Haha

My thing is that I can find bedding areas whether it be in a marsh, hillside, or just the thick nasty. It's why they go where they go after that is the issue. I've lucked into spots next to bedding that have deer moving through like crazy, but don't have the classic rubs/scrapes.

I guess what I'm saying is it's easy to figure out the bedding, but when that deer gets up, where's he going to go? On an island he may have 2 main options, but in the hardwoods he has 360 degrees...

I know terrain, food, rut phase, and wind have influence on it; but any input would be appreciated.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I have found all my success hunting high and dry. Primarily because I haven't learned how to use the wind down low yet. I am convinced if i learned more about how the wind works down low it would open up my opportunities immensely. If you have any tidbits of information on this that would be very helpful.

Dave,You do a great job with your videos ,one way to wreck a spot is to unknowingly walk in or out of your stand locations the wrong way , I'd like to see the best way to enter or leave a spot also a video of You climbing and setting up in a tree. Thanks Dave.

@DaveT1963 I plan on doing some scouting videos as well. If you want to plan a video together we can. I have a couple external lenses for my phone, an external shotgun mic, and some specialty recording apps that provide a lot better quality than the native camera apps on the phone.

We could pick a property (preferably not one of our honey holes), analyze the aerials, and then follow up with boots on the ground. I could edit it so it is all one continuous, color corrected video. I also need to play some with overlaying audio so it could be a fun editing experience.

Here was my little tester video just starting to get all the processes down.

Also, the imbedded YouTube video reduces the image quality for some reason... if viewed directly from my YouTube channel, it looks better.

sure Ikeman - I have all the camera gear outside a remote mico - I am sure we can make some videos that would help some folks out. I don't do any editing though.

we should plan a trip soon and also make some tree climbing/set up videos since we use different tools

My intent in these videos is to focus on NON-Ag areas - there is already a ton of videos in those environments.

Not sure if it is viable for the scouting videos you are making , I struggle with reading topo maps and how that translates to what you see on the ground

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure if it is viable for the scouting videos you are making , I struggle with reading topo maps and how that translates to what you see on the ground

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get the book mapping trophy whitetails if you can - I think it will give you a great starting point. Then get a topomap app for your phone.... go to an area and bring up the map - this will absolutely show you better than I, or anyone else, can film it. I will cover some of it in videos but really that book and getting out into your areas will show you/teach you far more than i can in a video. just being honest here. Topo maps are not hard to read and visualize once you get some first hand with them. To me it is a two part process - first read the book and learn "how" they are drawn and what features look like - step two practice out in the field - try to visualize the map you are seeing and then pull it up and verify it.

Also - IME/O, A lot of funneling features are not evident on the best of topo maps - they are subtle changes that are found by boots on the ground.

Back