• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New pellet grill... what do I need to cook?

I love coffee rubs for steaks!!!
I have been doing sous vide for steaks for a while, but may have go to reverse sear with this sucker.

I stole my recipe from “Sous Vide Everything” on YouTube. It is the absolute bomb!

Guga’s Rub #B
2tbsp coffee
2tbsp chili powder
2tbsp brown sugar
3tbsp salt
1tsp fresh ground black pepper
1tsp paprika
2tsp garlic powder
1tsp onion powder
1tsp cayenne

................................................................................All climbing methods, platforms, saddle designs, and/or use of materials possibly mentioned in the post above are not peer reviewed for safety, and should only be used as an example of my own method. Do your own research and testing before becoming confident in any DIY solution to support your life.
-IkemanTx
Awesome thanks, just took a screenshot!

@IkemanTX you need to make a spatchcock chicken. It's the easiest thing I ever made. I don't even put seasoning on it and it comes out moist and delicious. Cut the backbone out, lay it down breast up on the smoker. Cook at 350 until the internal temp is 165. It's usually a little over an hour. It's awesome to eat right away and I'll hand shred the rest of it up and put it salads for lunch at work.

@IkemanTX you need to make a spatchcock chicken. It's the easiest thing I ever made. I don't even put seasoning on it and it comes out moist and delicious. Cut the backbone out, lay it down breast up on the smoker. Cook at 350 until the internal temp is 165. It's usually a little over an hour. It's awesome to eat right away and I'll hand shred the rest of it up and put it salads for lunch at work.

That sounds delicious....

I've been in the market for a new grill and after your post sending me into a fury of research, I am pretty convinced I am going to go the pellet route. Going to go look at GMG tomorrow at a local dealer. It'll be replacing my propane "weekday" grill which gets a ton of year round use. I might still get a tailgate sized gas grill just to have that option too.

X2 for green mountain love mine...did a brisket saturday made burnt ends out of the point it all turned out fantastic

Venison Ribs. My wife told that the were better than beef and pork ribs. I agree. They were over the top. To think that I used to throw out the deer ribs. Sacrilege.

20191006_173253 (1).jpg

Your own bacon. Do it once and you will never ever buy bacon again. Buy a big slab of pork belly filet off the skin and cure for about seven days. Then smoke it.20191028_174953.jpg

Cover that drip pan with foil your going to cuse yourself when you clean that thing

Ya, I realized I hadn’t covered it about 30 minutes after I put it on...
It wasn’t too bad to clean off, but I won’t make that mistake again.

All these things y’all are posting on this thread look AWESOME. I want to try it all.

You need to post a recipe for these ASAP. Those are the best looking venison ribs I have seen.

Pretty easy. I use the 3-2-1 method but I cut the time down to 2.5-1.5/1.75-1.

My rub consists of coarse salt, lots of paprika and garlic powder, lots of coarse ground black pepper and brown sugar. I do not weigh the stuff, just throw it together and hope for the best. The only thing you can screw up is the salt part. If you do, add more of the other stuff, especially brown sugar. Don't worry if you do not use it all. Just throw it in a ziploc. Trust me, it will get used up.

If you got a lot of fat, shave most of it off. You do not have to get it all because of my next step. It is the pressure cooker. I put the ribs into a pressure cooker for twenty minutes. That high heat just dissolves the remaining fat and tenderizes the meat. This is a key part of the process. The pressure cooker is a magical accessory. If you do not have one go out there now and buy it. It will change your life. Home cooked meals in 30 minutes or less with that bad boy, but that is for another thread.

So after you pressure cook the ribs, put that rub on. Get it everywhere. Get the smoker up to 225 degrees and throw the ribs in there for 2.5 hours. Next step is to smother it with sauce; I mix barbecue sauce (any will do) with apple cider vinegar (66% sauce 33% vinegar). Wrap it in butcher paper and get it back into the smoker. Aluminum foil works as well, but butcher paper is next level smoking as far as I am concerned. After 1.5 hours or so, remove the ribs from the paper. Back into the smoker for another hour. Oh, and hit it with more sauce.

After that you are done. Let it sit for fifteen minutes. Then just enjoy. Trust me, you will kick yourself for ever discarding deer ribs. I imagine this recipe will be just as good for mule deer, elk or any other four legged animal large enough to harvest the ribs.

Pete

Bacon-wrapped, stuffed deer back strap is probably my favorite recipe I have done on the smoker. All of the other suggestions are great, though! You will find that you can smoke just about anything you can think of, and it is hard to mess up. My wife and I have been smoking chex mix on it lately! I have a a filet of salmon curing right now that I will be smoking tomorrow evening.

If you have a spare refrigerator or mini-fridge that you don't mind clearing out, dry aging a whole ribeye was a game changer for me. I found that 45 days was my preferred duration!

Well, I did two beer can chickens tonight for New Years... they turned out DELISH.

Brined in 1/2 shiner bock 1/2 water with salt, brown sugar, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, turmeric, and cinnamon.

Then, rubbed in a rub of the seasonings above and basted in more of the rub with melted butter throughout the cook.

be3a72120803f386d846b7c803566a3e.jpg

Well I went and rewarded myself for passing the CPA exam and bought a GMG Daniel Boone and the pizza oven attachment.

I've had a little previous experience messing around with pellet grills so I pretty much knew what to expect. I'm using this to fully replace my old propane grill so I'm going to have to figure out some solution to sear steaks, but otherwise I think pellet grills win out.

Digging it so far. First cook I did a batch of wings and yesterday I smoked a couple of my homemade brats. Both turned out good. Smoke flavor on the brats was a little underwhelming to nonexistent, probably going to try the smoker tube accessory. Hoping to try the pizza oven this week and some longer smokes next weekend.

Back