• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Cleaning a deer in the field

Nutterbuster

SH Member

Just a video of how I clean a deer when I can't or won't gut and drag. Video shows how to pull the quarters, backstraps, tenderloins, and neck roast. Doesn't show removing the head or the heart. Head comes off easily with a little twisting once the neck is deboned. Heart, I make a quick incision right below the sternum, reach up in there, and yank it free.

If I'm not narrating, I can usually have everything done in 30 minutes or so if I skin quarters. Then, when you get to the truck, all you have to do is toss it on ice, go home, and drink a beer!

Edit: here's part 2 where I debone the hams and shoulders.

Last edited:
Awesome video. Hope to put the information to use for what will probably be my last hunt of the season tomorrow.

Nice video. I have been doing the gutless skin/quarter where they fall for the last 7 - 8 years. Much easier on an old back. Now that I hunt public land in the mountains it’s a requirement. I shot the big boar below on a late season rifle hunt on a mountain WMA last week. He was 300 lbs plus, and I could hardly budge him for a pic. He came out in pieces.2A8BA287-7879-4572-8E32-2EB6C7C26996.jpeg

Nice video. I know everyone does things their own way. You really had my attention when you cut that front shoulder off hide on. Then you skinned it anyway. Why not skin it while still attached or leave the skin on until you get home.

Nice video. I know everyone does things their own way. You really had my attention when you cut that front shoulder off hide on. Then you skinned it anyway. Why not skin it while still attached or leave the skin on until you get home.
I do it a little differently every time. Yesterday, I left the quarters hide-on until I got back to the house. For the 6, I figured I'd show how to skim them out.

No worries I’ve considered doing it myself for time getting out and a built in game bag. Then when you skinned it before bagging I was wondering maybe you knew something I didn’t.

Appreciate the vids. I did 2 this season that were too far to drag out and they were both kind of disasters. But I still ended up with lots of meat. I’m always happy to learn some new tricks from others smarter than me!

Great video,i may start doing it that way when the temps here are too warm for hanging a deer. Plus i dont have to drag the whole thing if i am deep in the woods.

Appreciate the vids. I did 2 this season that were too far to drag out and they were both kind of disasters. But I still ended up with lots of meat. I’m always happy to learn some new tricks from others smarter than me!
Just start doing every one that way. A small tyvek or sil-nylon tarp gives you a clean spot to lay the meat and act as a bag liner to keep your bag clean. I never hang one anymore unless I have running water. Without running water there’s really no benefit.

You taught an old dog a new trick. In the hundreds of deer processed I have been around, I have never seen the foreleg cut off so simply. We always used a sawzall or hacksaw in all the clubs for all these years. I feel like I was in a caveman camp or something not to have seen that sooner.

The wife got me a grinder attachment for the kitchen aid so I’m gonna break down the quarters I’ve had aging and put some through it. Thanks for the tips. This is only my 3rd deer ever so it’s still a learning process.

The wife got me a grinder attachment for the kitchen aid so I’m gonna break down the quarters I’ve had aging and put some through it. Thanks for the tips. This is only my 3rd deer ever so it’s still a learning process.
That Thing Runs Like an Evinrude and will Grind about anything. You'll like it.

Back