• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Klein Tree Climbers - talk me into or out of these

swd

I have been looking at going back to tree climbers instead of sticks. I started out using climbers when I was a teenager. I am 47 and in good shape. I have been looking at several options. I want to stay around $300 for the set. One option that keeps coming up are these:

This seems to be a great price. I rarely go more than a mile from the truck and hunt on private land, so I don't think the weight will be an issue, especially when compared to my factory Hawk Heliums. I cannot see paying $500 or more to save a couple of pounds and am not too trusting of carbon fiber just yet.

What do you all think?

Thanks!

Those are nice and the price is great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: swd
Keep an eye on ebay. I found a set of climb rights decently priced. I wasn't big on gaff climbing and sold them though. They were like new. Nevermind...I looked at the link. Those are really cheap!

I found a really nice set of Geckos on Facebook marketplace recently for $80. They are $380 new. You never know what you might find used.

I have a set of kleins I bought this year. After putting some Cadillac pads on em and buckle straps they're very comfy and basically scent free. After a few practice sessions, I went right up the tree. They are comparable to using a climber as far as speed and noise. The main tip I would give is mind the angle of your feet. You dont want to stand up straight causing the gaffs to point downward causing a gaff-out. Even if you do, gaff-outs arent that bad. More a palpitation that actual pain! I'm actually strongly considering those $600 carbon ones and thinking about selling mine for what I have in em. Also if you buy some and dont like em, they retaintheir value very well so no issues selling

I bought a set of them. I don’t think I will ever use them. I might try selling them.

Thanks for all of the feedback so far! I also found these:

Is aluminum worth the premium price? Are they strong enough?

I paid $30 for a pair of steel Klein’s on CL. They are awesome I used them all season with good success. I’m going to upgrade pads and straps this summer.

Gecko makes steel spikes now with the same design as aluminum

I had some extra cash and got KiwiKlimbers Carbon Saddle hunters. Love them. Adjustable, amazingly comfortable, and super light.

I bought a pair of Klein’s not sure I will ever use them...lol. Spurs don’t look like my thing.

I'm looking at getting some spurrs too. I have Buckingham steel spurrs now and they are heavy an bulky not to mention loud buckles. I seen some geckos aluminum ones on eBay for 139.00 . I have not heard to much about them. Kinda wish I could try some on some where to see what feels good.i heard the carbon fiber are nice but price is hefty.

I'm looking at getting some spurrs too. I have Buckingham steel spurrs now and they are heavy an bulky not to mention loud buckles. I seen some geckos aluminum ones on eBay for 139.00 . I have not heard to much about them. Kinda wish I could try some on some where to see what feels good.i heard the carbon fiber are nice but price is hefty.

Sure you didn't see Evoke spurs for $139? If you saw Geckos for that price you should buy them or send me the link.

I hunted with a pair of Evoke steel spikes that look similar and they mostly worked great. I agree with what JFIN15 said: make sure you are mindful of the angle the gaffs are at when climbing. I "gaffed-out" a couple times on smooth, hard-barked trees. Other than that, don't forget something to hang your spikes in when hunting. I forgot my hanger one hunt but luckily I had a crotch to set them in. I plan on updating the straps to pull-adjust buckles for next year.

I haven't tried them yet, but have been doing a lot of research. The long Spurs (I've heard) are typically for soft and thick barked trees. Wesspur has great videos... here is where he begins talking about them..

Typically the shorter the gaffs, the better for balance on the harder trees, than the longer ones. Is this true... for anyone that uses climbing spurs?

I may get a pair myself - and I'm hunting in NW Indiana, NW Minnesota and Southern Illinois..

I used pole gaffs growing up and plan to start with those. Tree gaffs dug into the bark too much and were louder getting up to hunting height.

I am also looking at rappelling down rather than climbing back down after the hunt.

How did you like the Evokes? What makes them so much less expensive?

Thanks for all of the input.

Back