• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

I think it is time for a hiatus…

IkemanTX

It has become painfully apparent to me that the saddlehunter.com I fell in love with is dead and gone.

The tattered fragments that remain are marred with tribalism, bickering, and bashing. I guess it was only inevitable that a group that has grown this large would eventually come to reflect the complete dysfunction that is the rest of our society. Attempts were made to try to hold together some semblance of community but, like everything else in life, the solutions often only make things worse.

Other forums I have enjoyed have suffered the same fate, so I guess it shouldn’t have been unexpected. We find ourselves at the place where we have placed muzzles on any member who has ANY affiliation with a manufacturer, no matter how tenuous. My “Prostaff” position with Tethrd isn’t even paid. I am literally just an avid fan of the company promoting it on MY OWN media profiles… how is that any different than anyone else on this site who prefers one brand over another? Because Greg and Ernie asked me if I wanted to? As “vendors” we are no longer allowed to even discuss our own setups because they contain products of the brand we represent, or be a part of any discussion that may touch on even a single feature included in one of the products. I honestly do not have the patience or desire to constantly check if I am in the correct thread or forum to be able to be a part of the conversation on the basic subject this forum was created to discuss. Doing so 5 times will now even result in a permanent ban.

I can’t help but think that many of the heavy hitting DIY’ers (and largest contributors to this site’s early days), the people I did and still do look up to, find themselves silently feeling much as I do… stuck between a rock and a hard place. Stuck between being able to be an active part of the forum, or maintaining an affiliation with a brand. No other forum I have ever been a part has ever made me feel those were the only choices, and none have vender rules so restricting to the very subject matter the forum is about. I have no desire to be on this site if I can’t talk about anything outside of the vendor forum. It is a saddlehunting site, so conversations will always invariably come back to saddles and their features… which is a discussion I am no longer allowed to be a part of... somehow.

As this place becomes more and more like every other vessel of internet toxicity, I hope SOMETHING might eventually step in and stem the tide so that this too doesn’t end up in the dusty corner of my forgotten hangouts, right next to ArcheryTalk, Yourspace and Bookface. This place was once much dearer to me than the others, so I will try a break instead. Maybe several weeks, or months, or maybe even a year or two from now it will more resemble what I fear we have already lost. I will now just direct my attention to promoting saddle hunting outside of this forum, where free dialog is actually allowed.
It really is a shame to see what this place has become.

If, for some reason, you actually care to hear my opinion or ideas, I can be found under the same username on the few sites I do still use… Texasbowhunter.com, Habitattalk.com, Instagram, Tree Saddle hunters R Us, and Youtube​

Genuinely sorry if I teed you off making fun of Tethrd gamechangers last night. It's just good natured ribbing but I guess it doesn't come across that way on the internet. I'll miss your presence here.

P.S. if you get added to Green Mountain Grills prostaff, can you toss me a promo code?

It has become painfully apparent to me that the saddlehunter.com I fell in love with is dead and gone.

The tattered fragments that remain are marred with tribalism, bickering, and bashing. I guess it was only inevitable that a group that has grown this large would eventually come to reflect the complete dysfunction that is the rest of our society. Attempts were made to try to hold together some semblance of community but, like everything else in life, the solutions often only make things worse.

Other forums I have enjoyed have suffered the same fate, so I guess it shouldn’t have been unexpected. We find ourselves at the place where we have placed muzzles on any member who has ANY affiliation with a manufacturer, no matter how tenuous. My “Prostaff” position with Tethrd isn’t even paid. I am literally just an avid fan of the company promoting it on MY OWN media profiles… how is that any different than anyone else on this site who prefers one brand over another? Because Greg and Ernie asked me if I wanted to? As “vendors” we are no longer allowed to even discuss our own setups because they contain products of the brand we represent, or be a part of any discussion that may touch on even a single feature included in one of the products. I honestly do not have the patience or desire to constantly check if I am in the correct thread or forum to be able to be a part of the conversation on the basic subject this forum was created to discuss. Doing so 5 times will now even result in a permanent ban.

I can’t help but think that many of the heavy hitting DIY’ers (and largest contributors to this site’s early days), the people I did and still do look up to, find themselves silently feeling much as I do… stuck between a rock and a hard place. Stuck between being able to be an active part of the forum, or maintaining an affiliation with a brand. No other forum I have ever been a part has ever made me feel those were the only choices, and none have vender rules so restricting to the very subject matter the forum is about. I have no desire to be on this site if I can’t talk about anything outside of the vendor forum. It is a saddlehunting site, so conversations will always invariably come back to saddles and their features… which is a discussion I am no longer allowed to be a part of... somehow.

As this place becomes more and more like every other vessel of internet toxicity, I hope SOMETHING might eventually step in and stem the tide so that this too doesn’t end up in the dusty corner of my forgotten hangouts, right next to ArcheryTalk, Yourspace and Bookface. This place was once much dearer to me than the others, so I will try a break instead. Maybe several weeks, or months, or maybe even a year or two from now it will more resemble what I fear we have already lost. I will now just direct my attention to promoting saddle hunting outside of this forum, where free dialog is actually allowed.
It really is a shame to see what this place has become.

If, for some reason, you actually care to hear my opinion or ideas, I can be found under the same username on the few sites I do still use… Texasbowhunter.com, Habitattalk.com, Instagram, Tree Saddle hunters R Us, and Youtube​

hate to hear it Ikeman - but we got scouting and filming to do. You're a good dude and a long term member with good input. Don't stay gone long but I do totally get it..... was there myself a few times over the last few days. Give me a shout soon and lets hit the woods.

BTW - and never forget this - you were asked to be on the Prostaff from the biggest name in tree saddle hunting - few have received that call and you got it was for good reason. keep rocking it my friend.

My departure is directly related to the Red and the moderators decisions on the vendor crap.

Everything else drama wise was just annoyances. Those happen all the time in life and I can totally handle those.

Sorry to hear you feel this way. This is me stepping away from my "moderator" tag and speaking on my own accord as fellow member.

These changes were well on there way before I became a mod. I don't think the rules are what has changed the dynamic here. I think the commercialization of saddle hunting did. Now don't take that as a knock on any vendors. It is not. Commercialization has opened up saddlehunting to many new folks. And quite frankly, I applaud the folks who have managed to make a living thanks to saddle hunting. There is a balance to be had somewhere...and we are certainly searching for that balance.

I hope you find what you are looking for in your time off. If your journey stumbles you upon the best answer for this forum, please bring it back and share with the group.

Im pretty new here so I didn't witness the growing pains but I know if I want to read good informative threads or read about people being creative and trying new things it's best to start with the oldest posts and work forward. There is to much redundancy withing the last couple years

Whether someone is affiliated or not is never going to dictate my ultimate decision on things.. be it a product or opinions. It’s our job to stay informed and do our research. So what I’m trying to say is, idk why any of these rules of posting here or there make much sense any how. For every guy that may preach Tethrd, another might say Aero.. or you may be loyal to Beast and not LWCG. Who cares... do YOU. It stinks things divide us so much. I want you to like Chevy and me ford, I may get my balls busted, but all in good fun. At the end of the day, I know some of you are still good people :) I drive a Honda by the way! Haha anyway, hope everyone’s having a great day.

Just what do what @Nutterbuster did and remove yourself from "Prostaff" designation?? I think the whole idea of being on a Prostaff is more ego than anything else. Most don't get anything for being on one anyways. And if you do get something then you definitely have a bias and a vested interest in the success of that company.

Just what do what @Nutterbuster did and remove yourself from "Prostaff" designation?? I think the whole idea of being on a Prostaff is more ego than anything else. Most don't get anything for being on one anyways. And if you do get something then you definitely have a bias and a vested interest in the success of that company.

He shouldn’t have to. People affiliated with Tethrd have been getting silenced for a while now. Their posts get deleted pretty fast...

It doesn't makes sense that they limit you on what you can and can not say. We are all adults and if we not have the capability to read past a review, comment or person that only has the ability to "pimp" their product then maybe we shouldn't be on a forum. I do like that we have the ability to see your "Badge" to know that you do represent a company but it shouldn't be recognized as a negative. I will say this I am not a fan of the color. It feels more like a warning sign that you represent a company so don't trust them then a badge of knowledge about a certain product.

As a public forum and a paying member (not me, well I am a paying member but third person speaking) there should not be limits put on you as a paying member just because you are a vender.

I just don't get the hate? is it hate? for a company that has grown the industry so much. The company met on saddle hunter and has helped grow the industry ten fold. Is that not what this forum was started for?

I hope you come back because you have a lot of knowledge to share to us new guys that are still trying to figure it all out.

Like sands through the hourglass...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure how this wound up here - it was meant for the No strings attached post.

I actually like the fact that I have been honored and blessed with an ability to provide feedback on product development for a company I like and believe in. I consider them friends and yep it gets a tad personal when you watch folks badmouth your friends for over a year. I was around through the lean years when we were almost begging for saddle gear, a 10 year old used saddle could run you 350 bucks easily. Thus we DIYed the crap out of everything. All of us took a deep breath when gear started becoming available. I have far better things that I want to do then sew things late into the night (Something I suck at big time). Others might get a kick out of it. I now DIY and work on other projects and I actually get to meet some interesting folks along the way.

Bottom line it is asinine to think being involved with a manufacturer to develop new gear is somehow unworthy and something to be looked down upon. A large number of the current members of this site wouldn't even know what saddle hunting is had not Red started a forum and the old timers started putting gear together way back when before there was any manufacturers making saddles, platforms, step, etc......

I suppose in some folks eyes laying aside a title to be "one of the boys" is a worthwhile and noble stance. Good on ya don't blame ya. If it makes you feel better and your happy spot on. But to do it and then in the next breath start criticizing others that make a different choice is the epitome of arrogance and a gross exaggeration of self-importance.

I also happen to respect the guys that are out there with sincere ambition and intent trying their best to improve the products so many obviously take for granted today. with all the gear and instruction we have available today, anyone should be able to figure out how to get into and be successful at saddle hunting. It was not always that way.

Good luck to all SH members - hopefully you will get your system dialed in perfect for you and slay some giants this fall.

Last edited:

@redsquirrel
With all the animosity and confusion I’m a little reluctant to say that I have also joined tethrd’s pro staff. I think I can still be as unbiased as most people. With exception to the tactisaddle. I don’t care what @Nutterbuster says it can’t be that comfortable.

Now it’s been my opinion that the predator was the best platform for a couple years now. I’ve stated that opinion many times. So as a vendor rep I can no longer reccomend the predator over a perch and say that they will likely have a difficult time getting the step tight enough for the perch to be stable. I think there are only a few people who would disagree with that statement. I can still comment on sticks unless tethrd releases the ones every has seen. Am I prevented from commenting on the ropeman? I guess I can link to recommendations I have made in the past?
Either way I’m going to try to be the model of what a vendor rep is supposed to be.

Personally, I think every growing pain here has to be filtered through the fact that the admins are trying new things to help the community. They're open, they're listening, and they're not trying to intentionally shaft anyone. They've made many mistakes on the way and imo have owned them and moved forward.

I don't go against Red on much; not saying I agree with everything, just saying I trust him motives for the most part. BUT, I do believe vendors, staff, and all should be able to post freely to where ever they want. Instead of monitoring their content and posts, just be sure it is done in an honorable manner.

The ship has basically sailed on the DIY scene. Now, there are eyes watching here that have the capabilities to make the products you're sharing and bring it to the market. I believe that as a whole hasn't stopped innovation, but more so the sharing of that innovation. Having a mass produced platform is something we only ever dreamed of a couple of years ago. Now, we've eliminated those whose innovations have changed the saddle hunting world. I respect what they've done and am kinda envious honestly. They took it and ran with it, and look at it now? But, in the process, they've lost the very roots of where they came from.

In conclusion; I don't think this place should be heavily monitored for content. I believe the only thing that should be monitored is the intent of the post and be sure it's positive, supportive, and not degrading to others. I am all for learning from the Tethrd guys. They're great at what they do and have shared tons of ideas over the years(pre-Tethrd era) with anyone and everyone that wanted to know and now they can't even post here.

I think both of you parties need to work it out. I know there are some rough feelings between the parties. Be grown men, reconcile, and move forward. Move the industry forward, move saddle hunting forward, and let's move saddlehunter.com forward.

Speaking as a civilian on this matter, I think it's fine for vendors / vendor reps to comment on anything as long as it's obvious under their avatar or signature line that they are vendors / vendor's reps. We can all judge then if they are biased or at least be aware of any biases they have. Honestly, I don't even understand all these designations (pro staff / field staff / vendor rep / whatever). I don't know if some are paid or some get free stuff or what.

So, I do think it's important to know the affiliations so you can filter them out (in your mind) if you want just a regular hunter's opinion. But, I don't think they should be prevented from commenting. We're all big boys and girls.....we can make up our own minds. I prefer more opinions and conversation vs. less.

Back