• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Harbor Freight take off Amsteel

Kenbama

I am thinking about making a daisy chain for my Predator Platform. I have some 3/16 winch line from Harbor Fright I am tempted to use 3000 lb working load. Or I can buy some 1/8 Amsteel. I am not asking what I should do. The question is what would you do? I already have the winch line. Amsteel would need to be purchased.

All made in China, all UHNWPE, just do what makes you comfortable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harbor freight winch line is a little more expensive than the same amount of Amsteel. But the winch line is readily available locally in some cases. I bought 10ft of 1/4in Amsteel at a West Marine close to me for my whoopie sling bridge after looking at the winch line in my local HF. Cost half of what the winch line would have, but I didn't waste a ton, now that the utilibridge has me redesigning I kindof wish I bought the winch line so I had extra to work with now.

Thanks for the input. I started making the daisy chain with the 3/16. With it doubled it is too thick I believe it to be over kill. Although it would work I believe it be best to purchase the amsteel.

I wouldn't trust rope from Harbor Fright . How do you know for sure what you are getting just my opinion but I would buy rope from a place like Wesspur .

Folks have a fairly common misunderstanding of why using off brand products or the cheap version, especially with things like rope, is potentially dangerous. There seems to be this idea that it will just break because they use inferior components or processes to manufacture. Then the argument is made that it’s the same stuff just cheaper.

Is there a slight premium associated with buying Samson(amsteel)? No doubt. But not all of the premium is for brand name. Most of that premium is for the overhead costs associated with the quality control, engineering and design, testing, insurance, etc. you’re paying for the peace of mind knowing that odds are strong that your rope will do what it says.

the cheap stuff is made the exact same way, maybe, by the same folks, maybe. Probably actually. The difference is they forego all of the things listed above, and extend those savings to you.

only you can decide which is best for you.

I personally prefer the built in risk mitigation, and having my incentives aligned with a company looking out for its long term existence. I would buy the brand name stuff for 7.00 instead of the cheap one for 3.00...

I have to agree with Kyler here even though I am cheap by nature. LOL. If it is something that if it breaks that it could result in serious injury or worse then I am going to go with the name brand or a brand that has a solid reputation. It doesn't always have to be the most expensive. I have a hard time trusting anything from Harbor Freight if my life depended on it.

I’d pay extra for the tiny piece of string that has been tested and certified

I don’t want to be the guinea pig for the knock off brand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A very real possibility with the Harbor Freight Amsteel is that it is coming from the same factory that Samson is using and it did not meet Samsons quality control standards.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

i just made some with the cheap stuff. ill let you know how it holds up. if i dont...im prolly spilled open below a tree:dizzy:

i bought mine from amazon but it is a winch rope so same thing. in my experience everything from harbor freight eventually breaks. half my tools are from there so im not saying shop somewhere else. but some thiings you can tell when you pick it up there...not gonna last forever

What is a life worth? Guys will spend thousands of dollars on hunting equipment but will try to save a few dollars on safety. I just don't get it. Please everyone be safe.

One of the members from this site did this a few years ago. I ain’t seen him post in awhile. I wonder whatever happened to him?

See you in a tree, Ricky
Best post of this year and last year. Would love permission to screenshot this and post it every few days to random threads where it belongs lol
2a54e3e345051f7924954ed76d0a637c.jpg

Sent from up in a tree

Id get on an off roading site and look around. If theres no complaints from off roaders or ATV'ers If feel alright using it.

Id get on an off roading site and look around. If theres no complaints from off roaders or ATV'ers If feel alright using it.

I just don’t see this as the same. Pulling a 4 wheeler out of the mud versus hanging your life from a piece of 1/4” almost Amsteel to save $.09 is ludicrous.

See you in a tree, Ricky

Best post of this year and last year. Would love permission to screenshot this and post it every few days to random threads where it belongs lol
2a54e3e345051f7924954ed76d0a637c.jpg

Sent from up in a tree

I don’t mind if they don’t mind!

See you in a tree, Ricky

reviews from China Freight

The handful of bad reviews are very concerning. Im all about saving a buck, and DIY. NOT with things that my life is hanging from. Life is hard, Life is really hard if you make decisions like saving a few dollars......... with life, health, hospital bills on the other side of the balance. Thats just bad business.

I treat stand safety like a business. What would i do if I had employees doing this stuff. What would I tell Mr Smith's spouse or widow about his gear at work if something dumb happened? It all worked great right up to the last day he worked for me!

Last edited:
Back