• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Amsteel whoopie sling with squirrel or tree hopper steps?

raisins

SH Member
Anyone figure out how to attach these steps for climbing using just amsteel?

Old Cranford rope steps had a whoopie sling that went on a hook.

I’m thinking thin amsteel could go through squirrel or new tree hopper step slots with a whoopie sling on the opposite side. But without the hooks can anyone think of a way to join the two ends of amsteel?

You don’t have a versabutton to use.

I’m envisioning a whoopie sling with soft shackle to join the ends.

This would be quieter and if you had 12 steps then weight savings would add up a bit since the strap and metal buckle weighs as much as the step.

With twice as much amsteel you could tie in with just a loop on one end like folks did the strap on steps made of 2x4 wood with a hole drilled through them.

More a thought experiment I guess.

At first I thought that would be a great idea, but for me one thing I don’t like about cranfords is they are rather hard to get tight on the tree. I’d rather sacrifice a few ounces on each step by using an OCB buckle and having it rock solid

I never tried it or even thought about it so I have no idea if its feasible or safe but is it possible to hook the whoopie loop over the wing tab on the Treehopper step?

It’s been attempted using squirrel steps and amsteel ties in a timber hitch. I think the narrow steps need to be tighter.

Thanks for entertaining the idea. I was running through various geometries last night and thought a type of trucker's hitch might work because they act as a type of block and tackle (two ropes pulling).

The wider strap is good for keeping these types of steps from moving on the tree. The Cranford steps moved more.

It's been said before, but someone needs to come up with ultralight cam buckles for straps used for climbing because we are reaching the point where the sticks are getting so light that the buckle is a good portion of the weight. With a ring of steps it is less a concern because you only carry one buckle for it.

It’s been attempted using squirrel steps and amsteel ties in a timber hitch. I think the narrow steps need to be tighter.

Was the timber hitch wrapped around the step or back onto the amsteel?

Was the timber hitch wrapped around the step or back onto the amsteel?
It was threaded through a locked Brummell then timber hitch around the amsteel. It works good on the cranfords but they dig into the bark a little.

Back