• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Timber Ninja Outdoors

The only difference there is beast sticks are made from aluminum, which is the material I am staying to stick with.

How are these going to hold up to the repeated pressure of someone sliding them down to cam them into place? What if that standoff catches one good time when sliding it down?

I guess my main point is, why would you risk your life to something that may have been tested in a static position and not in the most likely time of failure. which imo, is the first time you step on the stick and it slides?

I equate this to the Predator failure on the original design. I don't know of any that broke due to stepping on the platform after camming it over. I know all of the failures I saw was on the pressure from the cam action. I am assuming some similar findings will happen in this instance.

I think you are underestimating the strength of carbon fiber. As someone who rode many miles on a carbon fiber framed mountain bike I can assure you that frame took substantially more abuse then my sticks do. Also, the consequences of that frame failing as a I was traveling 30+ MPH down a mountainside would have been as bad or worse then having a stick fail.

Just off the top of my head carbon fiber is used in vehicles, planes, the aerospace industry, windmill structures, climbing spurs, etc. I believe there are some commercial jets that the entire support structure is made from carbon fiber. As long as it is done correctly, I personally wouldn't worry about carbon fiber breaking in a climbing stick. I also probably wouldn't pay the increased costs for the weight savings but, many will.

Yea i think everybody has a misconception on how tough it is. When we spearfish those barrels are going into saltwater almost everyday all yr long and the muzzle and handle/trigger mech are both held on by screws (so the hole weakening the carbon that much is not so true either). Not one person i know has had a failure with speargun barrels and weve been using the same carbon barrels for years. We also use carbon fiber flipper blades which are super thin and attach to the footpockets by drilling holes. Not gonna lie, I have snapped these but not at the holes and its still crazy how much force they can take before they finally break.

It seems like if it weighs almost the same as aluminum sticks then they must have it laid really thick.

If anyone orders CF parts from china to do this diy...that might be another story. I wouldnt trust that at all

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

All the parts are carbon on em? Besides hardware.

I think of how fragile carbon arrows can be, tough as nails until you nick one then it snaps like a tooth pick. The hardware attachments and stress areas must pose a real challenge with carbon sticks.

Everyone's an expert :)

I'm sure sure it's been thought through. Give them a chance to get it into some hands to see....

What's with all the nay-saying? And arm-chairing?

This is the saddle hunter forum. The spirit of saddle hunting was based on NOT being a naysayer, doing things differently, DIY, community support and additive / constructive opinion.

(Not just this thread, but also a general comment and reminder of the origins of saddle hunting community to keep to our roots and good will)

And not hijack this thread with commentary on "spirit", start a new topic on this elsewhere

Having watched the evolution of carbon-fiber bicycle frames, I recall the same concerns about durability. It took the engineers a little while to understand the new material and some of the early designs were nothing but carbon tubes glued into metal head-tubes and bottom brackets. But since then there have been real leaps in design, performance, and durability. My road bike doesn't have much metal on it at all. If there is market demand there will be carbon-fiber climbing sticks.

I think of how fragile carbon arrows can be, tough as nails until you nick one then it snaps like a tooth pick. The hardware attachments and stress areas must pose a real challenge with carbon sticks.
Youre also shooting that thin carbon arrow 300fps....read the guys comments with mountain bikes again

Yeah I'm 250lbs so I'm more skeptical about things like this.
Assuming you saddle hunt...theres alot going on with 300lb safe work loads. Are you just as skeptical? Carbon fiber is amazing stuff. And i dont know if you ever shot aluminum arrows but i would say carbon lasts way longer. Almost every other aluminum arrow i put through a deer was toast after a kill. Including the new aluminum arrows like full metal jackets too.

I think the stick looks amazing. Sounds like they know what they are doing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Assuming you saddle hunt...theres alot going on with 300lb safe work loads. Are you just as skeptical? Carbon fiber is amazing stuff. And i dont know if you ever shot aluminum arrows but i would say carbon lasts way longer. Almost every other aluminum arrow i put through a deer was toast after a kill. Including the new aluminum arrows like full metal jackets too.

Yup when my life depends on it I get very skeptical... A Prussik backs the Ropeman 1 on my tether to the long bridge and a bowline is tied under it to my short bridge. Everything has it's strengths and weakness and I'm not bashing the carbon stick makers, I hope they can get them right.

Until someone can actually get their hands on some it’s just speculation on strength, specs..... given current applications for carbon in so many industries including hunting. What’s not to be interested about???

If you subscribe to the Chasing Tails podcast, they just released an episode with Timber Ninja. Worth a listen.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Back