• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Sewing Machine Presser Foot Lift

bj139

I was sewing some today on my DIY saddle using my Necchi Supernova. The Supernova is heavily constructed and has a lot of power but it only has 3/8 inch of presser foot lift. I had a hard time sewing on a section. I thought I sewed on thicker webbing layers before and measured a few of my machines. My Singer 15-91 and my Singer 15 clone has 1/2 inch of presser foot lift. My Japanese Kingston machine from the 1960's has 9/16 inch of lift. A Singer 237 had about 3/8 inch as well. If I measure more I will report. IMHO, the Singer 15 class machine is the best domestic machine for sewing webbing I have tested. The Singer 66 class may be good as well but I don't have any of those so I can't comment.

I ran into the same problem. I destroyed my wife's 4452, partly because I could fit multiple layers of webbing under the presser foot, Far more than it could handle apparently. So I bought a sailrite clone, the rex 607z which is all metal but only has about 1/4 in presser clearance.
I have been figuring a way to increase that. I ground down the post that holds the presser foot to try to increase the lift and ground of some of the teeth to help.
I just bought a 50s 15 clone to try that.
Thanks for posting this and I hope to see more. I am interested in a 201, does anyone know the foot lift in this?

I ran into the same problem. I destroyed my wife's 4452, partly because I could fit multiple layers of webbing under the presser foot, Far more than it could handle apparently. So I bought a sailrite clone, the rex 607z which is all metal but only has about 1/4 in presser clearance.
I have been figuring a way to increase that. I ground down the post that holds the presser foot to try to increase the lift and ground of some of the teeth to help.
Thanks for posting this and I hope to see more. I am interested in a 201, does anyone know the foot lift in this?

What got broken on the 4452? I just picked up one and am learning now. Was planning on eventually using it for webbing tasks, e.g., knaiders, sewing lineman’s belt loops on rock climbing harnesses. Then moving up to industrial for saddle builds.

The timing gear. Or at least that's what the singer repair shop told me. Apparently it is plastic and it broke when working the multiple webbing layers. It did "ok" up till then but I was still messing around with tension. Hard to get a good stitch on heavy material. I hemmed a few sets of pants and some other " normal" sewing and it did great. The heavier stuff is just beyond the machines abilities, or at least with me running it. @always89 seems to have had much better luck with his. Maybe he has some tips to get it to work with the heavier stuff.
When I went to buy a heavier duty machine I almost bit the bullet and bought a Juki but thought I'd go with the rex 607, because it was half the price, completely forgetting about foot lift. I learn lessons like that alot, the expensive way.

I think these early machines from the 30's to 50's were trying to sell to the farm market so they were aware if they could get the husband to agree to the buy by showing it could sew leather and webbing harnesses and slings, the sale would be assured. Later, they were designed primarily for light cloth. I bought a Singer 640 from the thrift store and had about 10 minutes of sewing when I heard a crunch and no more sewing. The top plastic gear crunched. I replaced it and it works fine now but heavier stuff will probably crunch it again. Look for all metal gears, top and bottom. Bring a screwdriver and take the top and bottom covers off if possible.

I just remeasured my Singer 15-91 and it looks like 9/16 inch so the 15 clone is probably an accurate copy. I did not take notice of the needle height yesterday but the needle goes higher than the 9/16 inch foot height so it should sew that thick with a bit of hand assistance on the handwheel.

Thank you for posting the Sailrite information. I have been thinking of buying a Rex or maybe Sailrite. I have my eye on a used industrial machine but some of their presser foot heights are not any better on these. After the Corona virus situation winds down I will go look at it but maybe the 15-91 is best overall. It might be another month before I can buy another $20 sewing machine. :(

Last edited:
The timing gear. Or at least that's what the singer repair shop told me. Apparently it is plastic and it broke when working the multiple webbing layers. It did "ok" up till then but I was still messing around with tension. Hard to get a good stitch on heavy material. I hemmed a few sets of pants and some other " normal" sewing and it did great. The heavier stuff is just beyond the machines abilities, or at least with me running it. @always89 seems to have had much better luck with his. Maybe he has some tips to get it to work with the heavier stuff.
When I went to buy a heavier duty machine I almost bit the bullet and bought a Juki but thought I'd go with the rex 607, because it was half the price, completely forgetting about foot lift. I learn lessons like that alot, the expensive way.

Thank you for the informative reply. I can at least learn on the singer. I started looking at Craigslist and FB marketplace, but being in PA, right at the NJ border, I am or going out to see sewing machines now.

I will keep looking for sales of sailrite and juki for industrial machines.

I think these early machines from the 30's to 50's were trying to sell to the farm market so they were aware if they could get the husband to agree to the buy by showing it could sew leather and webbing harnesses and slings, the sale would be assured. Later, they were designed primarily for light cloth. I bought a Singer 640 from the thrift store and had about 10 minutes of sewing when I heard a crunch and no more sewing. The top plastic gear crunched. I replaced it and it works fine now but heavier stuff will probably crunch it again. Look for all metal gears, top and bottom. Bring a screwdriver and take the top and bottom covers off if possible.

Great information, thanks.

Thank you for the informative reply. I can at least learn on the singer. I started looking at Craigslist and FB marketplace, but being in PA, right at the NJ border, I am or going out to see sewing machines now.

I will keep looking for sales of sailrite and juki for industrial machines.
If I see any good machines near the Allentown area I will let you know. Are people receptive to visits with the Corona virus problem?

If I see any good machines near the Allentown area I will let you know. Are people receptive to visits with the Corona virus problem?

Appreciate it. But I am not planning on any human interaction until this blows over. I have no idea on how others are, but in Northampton county we are to stay at home unless necessary.

Thank you for posting the Sailrite information. I have been thinking of buying a Rex or maybe Sailrite. I have my eye on a used industrial machine but some of their presser foot heights are not any better on these. After the Corona virus situation winds down I will go look at it but maybe the 15-91 is best overall. It might be another month before I can buy another $20 sewing machine. :(
I have been trying to learn as much as possible before buying another one. I am interested in the singer 201 or 241 but I believe the 241 dosent have reverse. I have been looking alot and rarely do I see any used sailrite machines, that may speak alot to the quality and usefulness of them. Just expensive. Of course I am not adding up what I've spent already on purpose, because I'm sure I've already bought a juki or sailrite and dont have the machine to show for it.☹

I have been trying to learn as much as possible before buying another one. I am interested in the singer 201 or 241 but I believe the 241 dosent have reverse. I have been looking alot and rarely do I see any used sailrite machines, that may speak alot to the quality and usefulness of them. Just expensive. Of course I am not adding up what I've spent already on purpose, because I'm sure I've already bought a juki or sailrite and dont have the machine to show for it.☹
What is the presser foot lift on the Sailrite? I thought the Rex would have the same since it is a clone.

This is from the sailrite website.
5th line down has foot lift.
The clone had more like 1/4 inch. Doesn't sound like much difference until you are trying to stuff some webbing underneath it.

Machine Series: Ultrafeed LSZ-1
Sewing Speed: Max. 500 stitches/minute
Straight Stitch Length: Max. 6mm
Zigzag Stitch Width: Min./Max. 0–5mm
Presser Foot Lift: 3/8"
Feed Type: Walking Foot
Shuttle: Oscillating (Cam/Rocker Arm Driven)
Power: 110V A.C., 1/10th hp, 1.5 amps
Motor RPM: 6,600
Needle Bar Stroke: 34mm
Lubrication: Manual
Underarm Space: 7" x 4.5"
Bed Size: 14.5" x 7"
Carrying Weight: 49 lbs
Bobbin Size: Class 15 / Style A
Compatible Needles: System 135 x 16, System 135 x 17
Needle Size Range: #10–#22
Thread Size Range: Home–V-92

I found this post about the Singer 201. One of the photos shows the needle clamp close to the presser foot when it is down. It looks like it might be 3/8 inch presser foot lift. I measured my Singer 404 and it is 3/8 inch. It is a later model. Maybe 3/8 inch became standard on the later models. I think the 201 is a much later model than the 15.

I found this post about the Singer 201. One of the photos shows the needle clamp close to the presser foot when it is down. It looks like it might be 3/8 inch presser foot lift. I measured my Singer 404 and it is 3/8 inch. It is a later model. Maybe 3/8 inch became standard on the later models. I think the 201 is a much later model than the 15.

Some machines have more like 1/2in
(13 mm), but if course those are the more expensive ones.

I have a Rex 607z and ended up breaking the spot weld on the presser bar feed rod. I was able to replace it with a solid rod for Sailrite

Back