• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Bow Maintenance Survey

Working with people from their home setups is an interesting concept. I always feel like I’m sort of guessing on what I’m doing from home and checking my work from YouTube.
Yeah, same here. I also don't have any bow shops in my city and making time on the weekends while having a family and working on another degree is hard. I was curious how people would react to some coming to them when its convenient for the customer.

Survey taken. I think it's a great idea. Whenever I go to the bow shop it seems like pure chaos. I know I wouldn't be able to give my work my full undivided attention with the constant interruptions I see when I go there. To have someone come to the house even if it cost a little more to do the things that I can't do for myself with the bow techs undivided attention on my bow is a great idea.

If your in area where this may be a MAJOR need (do to distance, or lack of shops) I think it's a great idea! However it's a little concerning when local shops really depend on that money. I'm not a shop owner but I know margins are really low on bows and only a little bit better on accessories(internet is a killer.) These guys have to put out a lot of money each year to have the inventory for customers. The "extras" or "maintenance" is where their profit is.

I'm all for it if you you believe there is a true need for it but please don't take away anything from guys who depend on it for their livelihood.

Best of luck!

I don’t see a business like this ever being profitable enough to make it workout long term.
The amount of money you would need to charge to pay your overhead and make money would be to much for a guy to justify this over dropping it off at a bow shop and picking it up when it’s complete.
Would it be nice for the customer YES but the technician would starve after word got out what he charges in order to make a buck.
Just not enough demand in archery to support this as a full time business imo.
If your thinking side job for cash or a young kid trying to make a few bucks through college maybe but I don’t see it working for a full time job.
If you want to start a business where you go to the customer stay away from archery you can make far more $$$ mowing lawns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have two bow shops in my hometown and I don't trust either one of them, for various reasons. One is 20 minutes away and the other is 30 minutes away. So I like the idea of a mobile tech. If you could build your own strings, that would be a benefit.

I have used a private bow tech in the past where I went to his home. Did this on positive recommendations from others that used him. I would not hesitate to use him again except I lost his card.

Having an option for him to come to my home sounds even better. Get a coaching certification and offer form training as part of the tuning

I have never changed a string myself... until this afternoon. I’ve had a new one sitting around for 6 weeks and this thread made me decide to finally give it a shot. Man was that nerve racking!!

I have a Pretty cheap diy set up thanks to deals on here and AT. I maybe have $150 in my tools.

I think I’d rather learn and do my own stuff rather than pay someone even if they come to my house. I’d be all for a hands on demo/training session though at my place with my stuff.

Survey taken. I agree with @Aaronpaul14
in that I would much rather work on my own equipment. Right now I just lack some tools and a little know-how. In addition, I am switching to a longbow so a lot of new things to learn.

Another option to consider is video-conference tutorials/Q&A for folks who want to do the work themselves. There are tons of resources online that'll show you how to do something, but I'd pay $20 to have somebody I could ask "did I do that right?" when I finish the task.

I was going to say same thing with a Skype service combined with a sort of private coach. Maybe like a a standard fee for coaching someone through a restring and paper tune. And a X amount of Skype service if needed. Something along those lines.

Not trying to take away from this thread just noticed a lot of people wanting the same type of information that I do/did. There is a great app you can download onto your smartphone called bow shop bible. Its a one stop virtual bowshop in your phone. You can search youtube videos etc. but this app has everything you need all organized in one easy to use app. I am not affiliated in any way. Just a product I started to use to become much more self sufficient. Obviously, this app is dependent on you having the equipment and interest to do your own bow work. Anyway, just another option out there. Here's the link: https://bowshopbible.com/

Good morning all,

I made a short survey to see if there is an opportunity for a potential business idea in the future. If you would be kind of enough to take the survey, it would be greatly appreciated. It should take less than 5 minutes.

Link to survey: https://forms.gle/CFzEdgQepL3aUMZf7
The come to the customer service model may become increasingly viable in the wake of the COVID-19 experience....

Back