• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Need some scouting advice

LarkHarrison243

So long story short went scouting on 3/14 found what I thought to be a good trail in some real nasty thick stuff. So I set a camera on it about 10 feet up. Went to check it yesterday and I got one picture... the day after I set it, then noting for a month and a half. Now I am at square one again after I got excited. I am not looking for a monster deer just a doe so I can finally get something. Any advice for where I should start? There is a creek going through the property and I just need some general scouting advice. Any help is appreciated.

The first thing I would do is walk the entire creek and find a well used crossing. On a Topo map look for any points off ridges, the draws on either side of the point will most likely have good trails in them. IMO that's were I would start.

Where do you hunt? Terrain? Public/private? Bow or gun?

One thing to keep in mind - deer know when people are around by smell. If you hang a camera in a thick spot where they don't normally encounter people, they could change their habits. Eventually they could get back to normal, but each time you go to check it, you're doing it all over again.

I won't speak for everyone, but on the rare occasion I use cameras now, I put them in more open travel corridors that deer use at night - and where I don't expect to encounter them during the day. This usually has less of an impact. Food or water sources, funnels between bedding and food, etc are good spots.

One thing to keep in mind - deer know when people are around by smell. If you hang a camera in a thick spot where they don't normally encounter people, they could change their habits. Eventually they could get back to normal, but each time you go to check it, you're doing it all over again.

I won't speak for everyone, but on the rare occasion I use cameras now, I put them in more open travel corridors that deer use at night - and where I don't expect to encounter them during the day. This usually has less of an impact. Food or water sources, funnels between bedding and food, etc are good spots.

I've hung some off season cameras looking for deer and bear and I have sort of come to the same conclusion: The first few weeks the cams were up I had tons of deer on them, lately not so much. Now it might be because the turkey hunters are in the woods, but nonetheless the base quantity has dropped precipitously. The thing I will align with the OP is that for new hunters like me (going into second season) cameras give us a little confidence boost that we are identifying areas that might hold game, where they might eat, bed, and/or move. I know when I found deer on all the cams I hung on public earlier this spring I felt really stoked. I felt like I was maybe one tiny step closer to figuring this puzzle out. I realize it's a very small piece of the puzzle but a piece.

I was listening to a podcast onetime where a guy reported not checking on cams for a year or two - just set them, then hunted other places that he had placed cams two years earlier. He would then go back and check those 2 year old cams and do some totally amazing data analysis. Time of movement/presence; Weather: temp and barometer; moon phase; and the list goes on and on. It was cool to listen to and this particular post got me thinking about that. Maybe let the cams sit so your human scent/presence is even further reduced. I am just not good enough woodsman (yet) to just go in blind and find game.

Also, keep in mind that just because deer aren't using that area now doesn't mean they won't be during hunting season. It could be the trail was well used from October through the end of your hunting season because pressure or food sources moved deer into that area.

Ohio, public land. I am not very good at scouting and I am kind of relying on what I find on cameras to make decisions (I know it's stupid but it's all I know) .

I figured my smell might linger for a while but 6 weeks? I feel like I saw some good sign after snow melted and now theirs nothing.

I've hung some off season cameras looking for deer and bear and I have sort of come to the same conclusion: The first few weeks the cams were up I had tons of deer on them, lately not so much. Now it might be because the turkey hunters are in the woods, but nonetheless the base quantity has dropped precipitously. The thing I will align with the OP is that for new hunters like me (going into second season) cameras give us a little confidence boost that we are identifying areas that might hold game, where they might eat, bed, and/or move. I know when I found deer on all the cams I hung on public earlier this spring I felt really stoked. I felt like I was maybe one tiny step closer to figuring this puzzle out. I realize it's a very small piece of the puzzle but a piece.

I was listening to a podcast onetime where a guy reported not checking on cams for a year or two - just set them, then hunted other places that he had placed cams two years earlier. He would then go back and check those 2 year old cams and do some totally amazing data analysis. Time of movement/presence; Weather: temp and barometer; moon phase; and the list goes on and on. It was cool to listen to and this particular post got me thinking about that. Maybe let the cams sit so your human scent/presence is even further reduced. I am just not good enough woodsman (yet) to just go in blind and find game.
Exactly, without cameras I have an idea but I just can't trust my scouting skills to know for sure if there is game in the area without them. It is definitely a crutch that I need to learn to be without. It is obviously not getting me much success (this will be my third season past 2 unsuccessful)

Seasons change and so do deer habits. You may not have pushed the deer out of the area, they may have moved bc of the seasons changing as well as food. The sign you found in that area could be an area those deer gravitate towards late/post season.
Identify areas you think will be fruitful and visit them once 3–4 weeks or so before season and see if there is fresh sign. Hunt the areas with the freshest sign. You can always check back in those areas later in the season as seasons change and pressure pushes deed around.

Sent from parts unknown

Ohio, public land. I am not very good at scouting and I am kind of relying on what I find on cameras to make decisions (I know it's stupid but it's all I know) .

Check out Warren Womack's style of hunting in the deer hunting forum. It's a sticky I believe. It may not all apply to you, but it's excellent. Read Dr. Bob Sheppard's book on whitetails.

Striking a balance between those two men's strategies has greatly increased my success. New ground? Walk it until you find deer in the flesh, or sign that you simply are forced to hunt. An area you already know and expect deer to be in? First sit best sit, accept how bad your odds decrease each additional time you stink up the joint.

Check out Warren Womack's style of hunting in the deer hunting forum. It's a sticky I believe. It may not all apply to you, but it's excellent. Read Dr. Bob Sheppard's book on whitetails.

Striking a balance between those two men's strategies has greatly increased my success. New ground? Walk it until you find deer in the flesh, or sign that you simply are forced to hunt. An area you already know and expect deer to be in? First sit best sit, accept how bad your odds decrease each additional time you stink up the joint.
Looks like I have some reading to do!

@kyler1945 gave good advice.... find fresh sign to hunt.

My advice would be to not worry about finding specific spots to hunt....I wasted a lot of time on finding specific spots. Its public land....no guarantee you'll be able to hunt that spot you have in mind. I don't run cameras hardly at all anymore but if I do I will take 3-4 and search out specific terrain transitions and then put the camera up on the best tail I can find. I'll put one in the marsh, up in the pines, swamp, oak hammock, etc. I'll let them soak a bit then go get them gathering visual info while out there. I'll see which terrain had the highest traffic and then I can form some gameplans based off of terrain....that way when you got somebody in your area, or flooding, storm damage, or some other unforeseen thing happen to u you'll be right back on them in another area with similar terrain features. Main thing is to seek out the fresh sign and hunt it smart keeping wind direction and back cover in mind. Understanding how the different ecosystems interact will make u better hunter...

Example: I know that a 2 year old pine and palmetto burn that butts up to saltwater marsh will be prime for hogs. That same burn butting up to a freshwater swamp or oak hammock will be prime for deer. 10-15 year old burns will be bedding. I can take that knowledge to any WMA and it will help me learn that piece faster.

Along with books on how to hunt deer do some reading on general deer habits. Get to know what deer like to eat (preferred food) in every season, and then learn to identify the food sources in the field. Lots of great plant, shrub, and tree identification guides to be read. Once you know about deer it's easier for you to cross paths all year round not just hunting season. Learn what they like in the summer and then go find those things. It should help you cross paths more frequently. I love vegetative transitions especially when they coincide with topography.

I think @SnakeEater hit the nail right on the head. My guess would be a seasonal shift. You probably set your camera on a trail the deer were using in the late/post season because you stated the area was wicked thick so more than likely you were in a great spot to hunt late season next year depending if the food sources don't change much. Safety will take priority over everything else though. Make sure to check that same spot next year after the guns start booming and if there is fresh sign hunt it right then cause it doesn't take much pressure to push them out of their safe zones after they have been harassed all season long. Probably wouldn't hurt to prep a tree and cut some small shooting lanes right now so just in case you do catch them in that security cover next year you can sneak in there and catch them off guard. Maybe 2 trees. {1 for a different wind direction} As soon as they know your in there they will probably find somewhere else to hide though. Oh. Also. Don't forget to find a or create a nice quiet path for access that is downwind so you can sneak in without tipping them off. Maybe even in that that creek you mentioned if it's not too deep.Good luck!

I place my cameras in travel corridors. I get tons of pictures from July through January that's when I have my cameras in the woods. I hunt those same areas and do really well. If you are looking to shoot a doe find the food source that they are using. I think a lot of hunters make it hard on them selfies by over thinking. Keep it simple and let the sign show you the way . Food, tracks , and food. Keep it simple and don't make it more difficult than it has to be.

So long story short went scouting on 3/14 found what I thought to be a good trail in some real nasty thick stuff. So I set a camera on it about 10 feet up. Went to check it yesterday and I got one picture... the day after I set it, then noting for a month and a half. Now I am at square one again after I got excited. I am not looking for a monster deer just a doe so I can finally get something. Any advice for where I should start? There is a creek going through the property and I just need some general scouting advice. Any help is appreciated.

Mid March deer sign stands out and stays around for a while. The ground is thawing out and typically soft and muddy. A few deer passing down the same trail once or twice a day for 4 or 5 days is going to look like a highway. You more than likely did quite a bit of walking through the area before you set that camera correct? Your scent was in there pretty good and a month is a relatively short time.

Deer are curious. My guess would be, the deer were probably using the area around the week you were in there, possibly even were jumped up and kicked out of that area when you came through scouting. After you set your camera they came back through smelled where you’d been and starting avoiding that spot. If there was a bunch of scent where you hung the camera, I wouldn’t be surprised if they were still hanging in the general vicinity and just looping around your camera.

Also I’m guessing green up starting happening within a couple weeks of your camera being set. Which, like others already posted, would have effected their routine.

Cameras are your best friend 10 percent of the time and your worst enemy the other 90 percent. My advice for any new or relatively new deer hunter would be to use cameras sparingly if at all. Especially if you are targeting a doe or any legal deer rather then, say like a specific buck. The cameras are going to hurt more than help and you aren’t giving yourself enough credit if you don’t think you can figure out deer without cameras.

I don’t remember whether you said it was public or private land but if it’s public you have to remember that you have no idea who has been where. Any number of other people could have passed through the general area and further harassed those deer between when you set your camera and when you came back to check it. Maybe they just weren’t on camera. Something else to consider... I know I’ve had cameras set incorrectly where the deer were getting passed the camera. Like they were coming close enough to trigger but not getting their picture taken. Time and experience with your cameras is another factor.

Keep this in mind...
The best deer attractant in the world is human absence. Public or private land doesn’t matter when it comes to this. You might be on a 1000 acre property but if 950 acres of it is getting hunted regularly, the 50 acres that’s kind of off to the side where nobody ever thinks to go because it doesn’t make sense from a human perspective, is where the deer will most likely be. Just because you see sign and get nighttime pictures someplace doesn’t mean you will ever kill a deer there. I hunt one public land ag/farm area property where anybody walking through those fields and looking at the sign around the perimeter of it would be tempted to setup on the field edge and hunt it. It’s littered with sign. In 10+ years of hunting there I can count on one hand how many deer I’ve seen in those fields in daylight, in hunting season. Now, June, July, August when it’s a bean field, different story.

Keep after it. Listen to advice from other hunters but take the advice WITH A GRAIN OF SALT! I’ve never meant a hunter who told me he’s a bad a hunter and doesn’t know what he’s doing. Especially on the internet. On the internet everyone is an expert. The best hunters are usually self taught because they never learned bad habits from their Dad or Uncles and we’re told “this is how it’s done”.
Sorry if this is too long winded. Haha

I place my cameras in travel corridors. I get tons of pictures from July through January that's when I have my cameras in the woods. I hunt those same areas and do really well. If you are looking to shoot a doe find the food source that they are using. I think a lot of hunters make it hard on them selfies by over thinking. Keep it simple and let the sign show you the way . Food, tracks , and food. Keep it simple and don't make it more difficult than it has to be.
Thanks, I guess my next step is to find some food sources.

Mid March deer sign stands out and stays around for a while. The ground is thawing out and typically soft and muddy. A few deer passing down the same trail once or twice a day for 4 or 5 days is going to look like a highway. You more than likely did quite a bit of walking through the area before you set that camera correct? Your scent was in there pretty good and a month is a relatively short time.

Deer are curious. My guess would be, the deer were probably using the area around the week you were in there, possibly even were jumped up and kicked out of that area when you came through scouting. After you set your camera they came back through smelled where you’d been and starting avoiding that spot. If there was a bunch of scent where you hung the camera, I wouldn’t be surprised if they were still hanging in the general vicinity and just looping around your camera.

Also I’m guessing green up starting happening within a couple weeks of your camera being set. Which, like others already posted, would have effected their routine.

Cameras are your best friend 10 percent of the time and your worst enemy the other 90 percent. My advice for any new or relatively new deer hunter would be to use cameras sparingly if at all. Especially if you are targeting a doe or any legal deer rather then, say like a specific buck. The cameras are going to hurt more than help and you aren’t giving yourself enough credit if you don’t think you can figure out deer without cameras.

I don’t remember whether you said it was public or private land but if it’s public you have to remember that you have no idea who has been where. Any number of other people could have passed through the general area and further harassed those deer between when you set your camera and when you came back to check it. Maybe they just weren’t on camera. Something else to consider... I know I’ve had cameras set incorrectly where the deer were getting passed the camera. Like they were coming close enough to trigger but not getting their picture taken. Time and experience with your cameras is another factor.

Keep this in mind...
The best deer attractant in the world is human absence. Public or private land doesn’t matter when it comes to this. You might be on a 1000 acre property but if 950 acres of it is getting hunted regularly, the 50 acres that’s kind of off to the side where nobody ever thinks to go because it doesn’t make sense from a human perspective, is where the deer will most likely be. Just because you see sign and get nighttime pictures someplace doesn’t mean you will ever kill a deer there. I hunt one public land ag/farm area property where anybody walking through those fields and looking at the sign around the perimeter of it would be tempted to setup on the field edge and hunt it. It’s littered with sign. In 10+ years of hunting there I can count on one hand how many deer I’ve seen in those fields in daylight, in hunting season. Now, June, July, August when it’s a bean field, different story.

Keep after it. Listen to advice from other hunters but take the advice WITH A GRAIN OF SALT! I’ve never meant a hunter who told me he’s a bad a hunter and doesn’t know what he’s doing. Especially on the internet. On the internet everyone is an expert. The best hunters are usually self taught because they never learned bad habits from their Dad or Uncles and we’re told “this is how it’s done”.
Sorry if this is too long winded. Haha
Thanks for the advice, maybe I'll put the camera away and focus on finding food sources and sign.

As for the camera...Hang it high and don't check it constantly. If you do that, the camera won't be a disturbance.
As for learning deer behavior and hunting tactics...The most valuable skill is the ability to be observant. It sounds obvious. But it blows my mind when I talk to some guys and I learn how much they don't see, and how much they don't notice about all aspects of nature.
You can learn a lot from reading books and watching videos, but actually applying what you've read is a whole other skill.
There is a learning curve to this stuff but the learning never ends, at least it shouldn't end. Hunting would be pretty boring IMO if I thought that there was nothing else to learn.
There are basics that every hunter should learn, but a hunter really needs to learn how to roll with what they see an adapt to what is happening on the specific land and the herd they are hunting.

Back