• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Why do people do this

SaddleUpPartner!

Had an awesome time scouting in the Michigan marshes until I came upon a site that honestly infuriated me. Beer cans strewn all over filled with bird shot pellets, shotgun shell boxes, an old coffee mug all shot up. Part of the mug was wedged in an old tree trunk and a box was pinned to the tree with a nail. What kind of message does this send to people who don’t hunt who walk past that on a nature walk? I know what I would think, “jeez these hunters are bunch of drunk rednecks, they probably aren’t a good group to associate with.” I found an old plastic bag(probably from them) and cleaned the cans up on my way out of the woods. I’d like to think most hunters feel the way I do but some of our brethren are a bunch of toddlers. Leave the woods better than you found it. I know 99.9999% of you people wouldn’t do this but I needed to vent about it.

Attachments

• cans.png
    cans.png
    183.1 KB · Views: 207
Thanks for cleaning up. @Nutterbuster, time to get going on that idea you had last fall related to this!
I'd forgotten all about it with the craziness, but yes it is.

@SaddleUpPartner!, I'm not sure why trash litters, but they do. Bane of my existence up here on the river. People throw trash out the window on my road all the time.

Agreed! I found similar scenario turkey hunting two weeks ago & picked up a bag of cans & empty hulls. People are jerks sometimes!
Some people think that since they can dump garbage in their own garbage filled backyard, they can dump garbage anywhere. Like I said, we have to treat some of these people like toddlers and teach them how to pick up after themselves.

Drives me nuts. The shot out appliances are terrible, but the ones that really grate me are the shot up signs marking the land. Really??

I try my best to bring a trashbag with me and pick up what I come across. Small impact but I feel better about it.

Mark Kenyon had a trash pickup hashtag on his social media a while ago. I liked that idea. Perhaps we could start a thread and post pics of all the junk we pick up when we're out and about this spring?

What was your idea?
SaddleHunter! Trash Bags. Aka SH!T Bags.

Just a small, roll up, mesh drawstring pouch that could attach to a saddle. Stays rolled up and out of the way while you hunt, then for the walk out you can unsnap it and collect the trash you see on the way out. The idea is if everybody who cares picks up trash every time they're out, it might balance out everybody who doesn't. Start a hashtag, post pics of using it, and make it a thing. Maybe try to get a good 3rd party to make them (hmmmm) and try to coerce all the manufacturers to include them when you buy a saddle.

Use the growth of saddlehunting to change the public's image of hunters. As saddlehunting spreads thanks to stupid-effective social media marketing, so it does the message. JUST PICK IT UP! Cleaner woods might just lead to improved public image and increased public land access.

Just a thought. Kinda hatched it and then got side tracked with life.

It’s everywhere. Doesn’t matter what state. The problem is that I believe a lot of non hunters see it and associate ALL HUNTERS as being that way. I’ll NEVER be surprised at people and the things they do. The Bible says we all stumble in many ways. I know I’ve done things when I was a teenager that I’m not proud of. It’s sad to see that stuff in the woods. It’s also sad to see bags of trash and litter all over the sides of the road but it’s hard to police stuff like that so we’re stuck with it I guess.

It’s everywhere. Doesn’t matter what state. The problem is that I believe a lot of non hunters see it and associate ALL HUNTERS as being that way. I’ll NEVER be surprised at people and the things they do. The Bible says we all stumble in many ways. I know I’ve done things when I was a teenager that I’m not proud of. It’s sad to see that stuff in the woods. It’s also sad to see bags of trash and litter all over the sides of the road but it’s hard to police stuff like that so we’re stuck with it I guess.
One of my favorite athletes of all time is Steve Yzerman from the Detroit Red Wings. He was never the strongest or the biggest or even a rah rah guy but he always led quietly by example. I feel like if we all lead by example, maybe others will follow or even learn from their mistake. A lot of guys get it but there's a lot of people that don't.

SaddleHunter! Trash Bags. Aka SH!T Bags.

Just a small, roll up, mesh drawstring pouch that could attach to a saddle. Stays rolled up and out of the way while you hunt, then for the walk out you can unsnap it and collect the trash you see on the way out. The idea is if everybody who cares picks up trash every time they're out, it might balance out everybody who doesn't. Start a hashtag, post pics of using it, and make it a thing. Maybe try to get a good 3rd party to make them (hmmmm) and try to coerce all the manufacturers to include them when you buy a saddle.

Use the growth of saddlehunting to change the public's image of hunters. As saddlehunting spreads thanks to stupid-effective social media marketing, so it does the message. JUST PICK IT UP! Cleaner woods might just lead to improved public image and increased public land access.

Just a thought. Kinda hatched it and then got side tracked with life.

Here ya go!
b886d1620e645b697c2dbe267784ac6f.jpg

e8c6392657ffc81e38221ac4c723dd4a.jpg

Sent from parts unknown

Here ya go!

Sent from parts unknown
Yup. That's the idea. That, but mesh so you can see what's inside for those instagram pics. ;)

Here ya go!

Sent from parts unknown
Really like this idea, @DanO how about a bit bigger bag & less than $40 & I’m in all day.

The BHA guys have been posting pics of truckloads of trash picked up on scouting trips. That’s about the only good thing I’ve seen on Facebook this year.

The BHA guys have been posting pics of truckloads of trash picked up on scouting trips. That’s about the only good thing I’ve seen on Facebook this year.
Any trash picked up is a good thing. But I'm afraid big cleanup days just don't work as a whole solution. I've participated in them. The local riff-raff will throw beer cans out the day after you leave, and keep doing it w very day until the next clean up. I think for things to change we'd need a large body of people committed to picking up a little every time they see it, combined with big clean-up efforts and maybe some education.

The idea I have kinda started while fiahing with a buddy. We were trolling around fishing, and he casually ran by a Gatorade bottle and threw it in a bucket in his boat. He never stopped talking or set his rod down. I mentioned I usually ended up walking out of the squirrel woods with trash on my vest, and we got to talking about how if everyone with a sportsman's license did that every time they went out, there wouldn't be a beer can left in a few years.

Small acts have a cumulative effect. Nobody is dumping huge loads of trash once a year. Why clean it that way?

Any trash picked up is a good thing. But I'm afraid big cleanup days just don't work as a whole solution. I've participated in them. The local riff-raff will throw beer cans out the day after you leave, and keep doing it w very day until the next clean up. I think for things to change we'd need a large body of people committed to picking up a little every time they see it, combined with big clean-up efforts and maybe some education.

The idea I have kinda started while fiahing with a buddy. We were trolling around fishing, and he casually ran by a Gatorade bottle and threw it in a bucket in his boat. He never stopped talking or set his rod down. I mentioned I usually ended up walking out of the squirrel woods with trash on my vest, and we got to talking about how if everyone with a sportsman's license did that every time they went out, there wouldn't be a beer can left in a few years.

Small acts have a cumulative effect. Nobody is dumping huge loads of trash once a year. Why clean it that way?

The crazy thing to me is that guys even do this on private property. I live on a farm owned by my Father in law. He leases it out to a hunt club. I have permission to hunt it but I don’t feel right about hunting free where guys are paying $1,500 a piece and they have really dumb rules. Anyway, that’s a whole other story...
I find beer cans even here where you would think people would be bending over backwards to take care of the guys place who lets them hunt it. Crazy!

Drives me crazy too. I try to pick up what I can when I'm out and about. The rivers around here (near 2 bigger cities) are dumping grounds for everyone's trash and junk. We can host cleanups here by contacting our local state game agency and I'd assume it would be similar in other states as well.

Back