• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

.010 pins

TJutte

Anybody ever chase deers with .010 sight pins on their bow? Sent an email to Trophy Ridge about their Hotwire sight, two fixed and one slider pin. I hunt but like to shoot bombs when I practice, so a small pin seems good for that third pin. Maybe even a 40 yard shot on a deer if conditions are right. Have to custom order it.

Too small? Not enough light transmission? No noticeable difference? Let me know if it’s stupid.

I’m under the assumption that my groups will be under 1” at 100 yards if i get smaller pins.

That was sarcasm.

Under 1/2”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I noticed tighter groups for me shooting at distance when using .010 pin for bottom pin. I think you will enjoy it for practicing.

I rock the 0.10” pins and love them. Hunting conditions have been fine for me with them. The last 5-10 minutes of light they fade quick, but during that period I typically limit my shots to closer in as I also start to loose visibility on small twigs and branches at distance.

I do have a .19 for my 20 and 30 pin

if you can see with them, my experience is that i also had tighter groups. I can see with them anymore. so .19 is what i have used up till this year. begining to practice with the ezv sight.

Don’t know about the sight you’re using but my .010 on my spot hogg double pin are plenty bright. Let’s me practice long range. Close far, don’t matter, I think the small pin makes a better sight picture and let’s you aim smaller as others stated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I use a .010 for 3D and a .029 for hunting I also shoot a one pin sight . My 3D sight which I use to hunt with is a Surelock supreme .010 fiber optic single pin . It's ok but I went back to a .029 fiber optic single pin pendulum sight . I didn't like the .010 for hunting to small in my opinion had some trouble with seeing it in certain situations. I have no problem with my Trophy Ridge pendulum sight with .029 fiber optic in an hunting situation.

I personally am a fan of the .10 pin size. I use it in my 3D sight as well as my hunting sight.

If the pin is hard to see it could be for a few different reasons.

1. The fiber could have a break in it. Causing light to not flow properly through to the pin.
2. Your eyes might not like the specific color of fiber. (I see blue really well.) Fiber colors I’ve seen sold are (yellow, red, orange, green, blue)
3. The fiber going to your pin could be short and not allowing enough light to show at your pin. ( some sights have several feet of fiber and some have just a few inches. It’s how it’s exposed to sunlight that helps with the pin being seen)
4. The fiber might not be flush with the end of the pin. It could be slightly back inside the pin. (Push a lil through and take a lighter and heat slightly and flatten.)

Aim small miss small.
Example: aim at at 1” dot at 20yrds with a .10 pin and you can see the 1” dot around the pin slightly. As your distance increases the small pin allows you to still aim at a small spot. Aim at a 1” dot at 20 yards with a .29 pin your not going to be able to see the dot hardly. Harder to be consistent in hitting the same spot if you can see where exactly your wanting to hit. As you go further back the 1” dot will be covered up by the pin totally and in turn increasing your target point of aim and your groups will get bigger.

Sorry for being long winded. I like to break things down so I can understand what I’m trying to write.

I like using the .010 sight pins. Light transmission may diminish quickly at dusk, but outfitted the sight with a light kit it wasn’t a problem. I like the smaller pin so that I may see more of my target at any shot distance. Especially when it’s a critter.

I like using the .010 sight pins. Light transmission may diminish quickly at dusk, but outfitted the sight with a light kit it wasn’t a problem. I like the smaller pin so that I may see more of my target at any shot distance. Especially when it’s a critter.
Any idea whether state game agencies generally view that as an unlawful use of lights to take game? I remember looking into it for TN a while back and thinking it was questionable here, but I don’t recall for sure.

Any idea whether state game agencies generally view that as an unlawful use of lights to take game? I remember looking into it for TN a while back and thinking it was questionable here, but I don’t recall for sure.
Indiana allows the use of sight light kits. I do remember checking into that before purchasing the kit. I always read the DNR guide each and every season just to make sure I’m up to date. Never know what they’ll change unannounced.

I have a single .01 hha tetra and love the smaller pin. Not all sights are equal in light transmission. The one I have can easily hunt beyond legal hours. It’s fitted with a rheostat to adjust brightness. If you’re shooting long range get a smaller pin.

Indiana allows the use of sight light kits. I do remember checking into that before purchasing the kit. I always read the DNR guide each and every season just to make sure I’m up to date. Never know what they’ll change unannounced.

My state (Alabama) just says you can’t cast a light source forward.

Sight lights will definitely make it easier to see the .10 early/late light. Also will disqualify a buck for p&y records in every state. Even if its on the sight and you don't use it.

All I shoot with are .10 pins. Out West we shoot a little further, and I like the smaller pin at 60. Just make sure you have a way to cover the fiber in bright sun and open it up in low light. If it get's too bright it will be just as big as a .29 to your eye.

Sight lights will definitely make it easier to see the .10 early/late light. Also will disqualify a buck for p&y records in every state. Even if its on the sight and you don't use it.
I was unaware of this stipulation. I may rethink having a light kit on my sight when I consistently hunt P&Y specimens.

Back