• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

When does pre-setting trees become littering?

you're preaching to the choir i just think bigger issues to worry about the government selling public land is bigger issues
For me for example. I know rules and follow rules thats not issue me . What about these private deer farms in Wisconsin chronic wasting disease that was unregulated in Wisconsin. Some of deer escaped from these farms which caused alot of problems. Also what the issue oh hunting Outfitters that use high fences that are unethical in my opinion where are the hunters who speak out against that?

Last edited:
the moralizing is strong on the SH lately.

By the letter of the law, you’re most definitely littering if you leave anything in the woods outside of when it’s legal to do so.

My point is not that whether it is legal or not. My point is really, why are we talking about it? It’s the smallest possible nit of nits to pick.

anyone gone out in the woods and found a rash of other people’s presets?

I’m willing to bet that I have removed more trash (by weight and volume) from the woods by myself, Than the sum total of all presets left by all saddle hunters ever. You could probably toss in a couple years worth into the future, and not get close.

I assumed the OP was trying to rationalize the behavior in their own head. I offered said rationalization. If that wasn’t his intent, my apologies for the wrong assumption.

What are we really trying to accomplish with the conversation about presets and litter then?

By the letter of the law, you’re most definitely littering if you leave anything in the woods outside of when it’s legal to do so.

My point is not that whether it is legal or not. My point is really, why are we talking about it? It’s the smallest possible nit of nits to pick.

I’m willing to bet that I have removed more trash (by weight and volume) from the woods by myself, Than the sum total of all presets left by all saddle hunters ever. You could probably toss in a couple years worth into the future, and not get close.

I assumed the OP was trying to rationalize the behavior in their own head. I offered said rationalization. If that wasn’t his intent, my apologies for the wrong assumption.

What are we really trying to accomplish with the conversation about presets and litter then?
Kill time until next season....

The question posed by this thread was "when does presetting become littering"

I say it becomes littering when you no longer intend to use or retrieve the preset.

You (seem to) say that it becomes littering when the weight of presets you leave in the woods outstrips the amount of trash you take back out. That seems pretty absurd to me. Hauling one car bumper out of the woods shouldn't allow you to rationalize throwing out 80lb worth of mountain dew cans, and presets are no different.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

What hunters standing up to these deer farms creating chronic wasting disease in Wisconsin. What about the damages they do. How hunters standing up to politicians selling public land and i voted for both parties. What about hunters coming together and try to band high fence hunting wheres the outrage thier its a problem but not high on my list.

I agree look thier has been television shows on high fence hunting 60 minutes how much damage do they the image of hunting and we have in Wisconsin. Plus feed al those deer supplements to make antlers look so huge really gross. I could be wrong but don't the DNR trying stop them. Why because probably donate alot money to the politicians.

Just my opinion issues in this video are more concerning
Yeah and there are starving kids in africa. Theres always a "more concerning" issue. That doesn't mean that we shouldnt be concerned.

Littering on public land gives the public a poor view of hunters. In cases of public-private partnerships where hunters have access to privately held land, hunters being poor stewards could easily get a parcel closed to public access.

If high fence ranches are so concerning to you start a thread about the ethics of them. I dont see the point of trying to shoehorn them into a relatively narrow discussion about the ethics of leaving hunting equipment in the woods.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I am guessing 70 percent of non hunting public walk on trails public land never even see tree stands or DRT setups and thats being conservative. Hunters do litter but so the general public lots kids party and leave thier beet cans all over the place. And i picked litter from hunters myself. Your probably right i should not have brought it up in this thread . I wish hunters were more concerned about the bigger issue i brought up but don't believe it well ever happen in a significant way,

Last edited:
I had this rope laying around and thought I would try it for one of my preset trees this year.
It is biodegradable so if I where to forget in the tree it would break down over time and fall to the ground.
I’m not sure how it will weather but hopefully it makes it all season without breaking.
It’s only job is to get my climbing line over a limb so it shouldn’t take much stress just pulling up rope.
Again I don’t plan to leave it in the tree after the season but if I did by chance I fill this would break down and not be an issue.
Only time will tell if it will do the job without breaking down to quickly and becoming useless I’m sure 550 cord is much much stronger and will last much longer but I’m going to give this a try.
805726bfdcf27b5fa21a14a6b5f018c4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So if you were out scouting or hunting public land and found a preset cord in your favorite tree, or one that looked like a very promising tree to hunt from; would you pull it down and hunt that tree anyway? I would. I don't think anyone has the right to pre-mark a spot on public land and try to call it theirs. I don't think I wouldn't bother resetting the cord when I was done either, and might haul it out of the woods as litter. Would that be theft? It doesn't feel like it to me. I'm not sure, but I believe in my state the laws say anything left on public land for more than 14 days becomes abandoned property. I can't tell the age of a preset cord; but that feels different than a vehicle, or a hang-on tree stand, or a trail cam. It feels more like litter. I have no interest in messing with other people's property, and would never do so with a stand or cam or something similar that has value. But I might haul the cord out.

Screenshot_20200531-111841_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20200531-111845_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200531-111856_Gallery.jpg
Went scouting yesterday and found these clothespins with Reflective tape on it followed it to the ladder stand.

So if you were out scouting or hunting public land and found a preset cord in your favorite tree, or one that looked like a very promising tree to hunt from; would you pull it down and hunt that tree anyway? I would. I don't think anyone has the right to pre-mark a spot on public land and try to call it theirs. I don't think I wouldn't bother resetting the cord when I was done either, and might haul it out of the woods as litter. Would that be theft? It doesn't feel like it to me. I'm not sure, but I believe in my state the laws say anything left on public land for more than 14 days becomes abandoned property. I can't tell the age of a preset cord; but that feels different than a vehicle, or a hang-on tree stand, or a trail cam. It feels more like litter. I have no interest in messing with other people's property, and would never do so with a stand or cam or something similar that has value. But I might haul the cord out.

If I found a preset in a tree I wanted to hunt on public land I would absolutely hunt the tree anyway. Nobody can lay claim to a tree on public land as far as I’m concerned. I would probably leave the preset when done hunting...

I had this rope laying around and thought I would try it for one of my preset trees this year.
It is biodegradable so if I where to forget in the tree it would break down over time and fall to the ground.
I’m not sure how it will weather but hopefully it makes it all season without breaking.
It’s only job is to get my climbing line over a limb so it shouldn’t take much stress just pulling up rope.
Again I don’t plan to leave it in the tree after the season but if I did by chance I fill this would break down and not be an issue.
Only time will tell if it will do the job without breaking down to quickly and becoming useless I’m sure 550 cord is much much stronger and will last much longer but I’m going to give this a try.
805726bfdcf27b5fa21a14a6b5f018c4.jpg

You’re in trouble if this rope holds up like the biodegradable paper straw. It’ll be like pulling up your rope with a piece of spaghetti

Wardens have to rely on the hunting public to call these in when you find them. That is the most efficient way for them to deal with it.

You’re in trouble if this rope holds up like the biodegradable paper straw. It’ll be like pulling up your rope with a piece of spaghetti

Yeah it may not workout but I’ll give it a try.
Worst case is it breaks but I can reset this one pretty easy.
I’m hoping to get away from presets altogether and I’m working on getting better at throwing a line
I’m only accurate to 20-25’ at the moment.

Back