• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Scout Thursaday/Friday before Saturday opener

Jajtner01

I asked this question on Beast Hunter and figured I'd get the Saddle Hunter perspective as well.

Due to circumstances I have had the opportunity to move to the Great State of california (I know). I only get home to WI before Thanksgiving to see family, so I get to hunt the Gun Season. I'm planning to get in Wed night this year, so I have Thursday and Friday to Scout prior to opening day.

After the beast hunter discussion I'm wondering what everyone would do. I figure I have 4 options now;

1. Scout as usual on Thursday and Friday and then hunt. (I tried this the last few years, but not much success)
2. Go In Blind. (This way I wont mess up any areas, but I also don't know if anything is actually there)
3. Scout my way in Saturday afternoon (I don't like not hunting opening morning)
4. Scout Thursday/Friday for long range glassing locations around creek beds and clear cuts and find an observational stand for opening morning, then move in Saturday afternoon (I'm thinking I should be able to sit back about 600-800 yards in some places on the map)

Any advice is appreciated.

Well if you've been going in to scout the last few years and it's not been working for you, I'd try something different. Spend that Thursday and Friday with your family. I'd go in Saturday and sit the morning on what you think is an escape route, or a known travel route and see if the morning activity pushes anything your way. I'd scout/stalk some in the afternoon to find some sign and set up for an evening hunt on that sign.

1. hunt California its beautiful and a great state to hunt, hunt up around Fresno Dome for some monster Mulies, hunt along the coast for some Black tail and Pigs, never forget your black bear tag, bear spray and weapon.
2. you have scouted in the past you know where deer have been, go in to one of those spots opening morning , leave it undisturbed for opener, scout hunt to a afternoon spot that screams hunt here and kill ya a monster!

If you want to do something Thursday friday, go climb a tree somewhere you dont plan to hunt that either you think will be an observation sit or scout it for sign. you might find something to good to pass up for saturday and if not you wont have messed up your planned hunts.

Are you scouting / hunting public land or private land?

Natural deer movement on public in WI is scarce after orange army hits the woods and the lead starts flying opening morning especially if you will be hunting an area where deer drives are prevalent. Being near a bedding area an hour before sunrise gives you the best shot of catching one coming back opening morning. If you don’t know where those areas are than I don’t think you have anything to loose by scouting ahead.

Stay in the tree all day if you can to take advantage of the pressure generated by the part-timers that leave the woods for lunch.

Since you are a saddle hunter, you can always go mobile and scout for fresh sign and change spots if you are not getting any action.

Back