• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New guy in Colorado...

1187Shooter

I've lurked for a little bit, and already learned quite a lot. I'm looking forward to learning a lot more and getting all set up for saddle hunting.
I worked for a tree service for a while in my early days, and have always enjoyed climbing. I've also done a little technical rescue, high angle, rappelling etc. in different jobs I've had, and as a volunteer firefighter, so it just seems natural to want to do this kind of stuff in the woods... way more natural than a tree stand, I think. (Which I have not done, never had an interest in it...)
It will be fun to utilize the training and experience I already have and expand it to include hunting from a saddle. And also to play around with the gear I have, and add more, specialized equipment as I learn and evolve.
There are lots of big trees around here, and not very many people hunt from them. I'm hoping this will give me a bit of an advantage come elk season.

Welcome from Arkansas...formerly from Colorado! I miss it back there...

Welcome from Arkansas...formerly from Colorado! I miss it back there...
Nah, you're not missing anything. It ain't what it used to be. We're looking to move, maybe Tennessee...
Politics and an influx of transplants from states like California etc. have ruined it here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Nah, you're not missing anything. It ain't what it used to be. We're looking to move, maybe Tennessee...
Politics and an influx of transplants from states like California etc. have ruined it here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Yeah. I definitely hear you there. I was out in the eastern metro area, and it blew up with the oil boom, and the flat exploded with legalization. I went back after only a year away, and I wanted to leave after a couple hours because of the traffic.

Welcome from WI. I haven’t heard of many guys hunting elk from trees (saddles or stands). Do you setup on water holes and trails or what are your tactics?

Welcome from Toledo, Ohio!
I just left Colorado Springs a few days ago. Rode my bike out there to see my son before he deploys to Afghanistan. A lot of beautifulplacesto ride. I had a great time, but I was on vacation.

I've lurked for a little bit, and already learned quite a lot. I'm looking forward to learning a lot more and getting all set up for saddle hunting.
I worked for a tree service for a while in my early days, and have always enjoyed climbing. I've also done a little technical rescue, high angle, rappelling etc. in different jobs I've had, and as a volunteer firefighter, so it just seems natural to want to do this kind of stuff in the woods... way more natural than a tree stand, I think. (Which I have not done, never had an interest in it...)
It will be fun to utilize the training and experience I already have and expand it to include hunting from a saddle. And also to play around with the gear I have, and add more, specialized equipment as I learn and evolve.
There are lots of big trees around here, and not very many people hunt from them. I'm hoping this will give me a bit of an advantage come elk season.
Welcome from central Missouri!

Back