• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Sitka Fanatic Lite vs Stratus JACKET

TNbowhunter

As a gift, my wife told me to pick a hunting jacket, and I’ve narrowed my choice down to the Sitka Stratus jacket and the Sitka Fanatic Lite jacket. I’m looking for insight on which to choose.

I think the wind stopper feature of the Stratus jacket would be great, but I’ve heard it’s a bit noisy, and it doesn’t have many of the bowhunter-specific features of the Fanatic Lite, like the kangaroo pouch. I think there’s a pretty good chance I’ll add the Fanatic Vest to my arsenal later this year (birthday and Christmas in December), in case that affects your recommendation.

For background, I hunt in middle Tennessee, so I only hunt below freezing maybe 5 times a year, but I’m fairly cold-natured. I have Raynaud’s, meaning my hands start losing circulation from “cold” when it’s in the 60’s, so keeping my hands warm in good pockets or a muff is critical for me as the season wears on. I have a good set of insulating layers, including some Drake gear (puffy hoody and wind-proof vest) and an Ororo battery-powered heated vest, which is great. My current outer layer is an old Silent Hide jacket from RedHead that’s bulky, restrictive, and not very warm, which is why I’m upgrading. I recently picked up a Nomad Whitetail Elevated Scrape jacket with a 50% off code (making it $140), but I'm still well within my return window if I like one of the Sitka jackets better.

Thank you all in advance for your help!!

Last edited:
2 totally diff pieces. I'm in west TN so temps are similar. The fanatic lite jacket is ok in 45-50° if the wind isn't blowing and you have a good base layer. If the winds blowing hang it up. The stratus isn't too loud in my opinion. Its a little more stiff tho. If you plan to get a fanatic vest, my advice would be to get the equinox hoody(its really a jacket) and pair with the vest when it gets too cool

The fanatic lite is the quietest outerwear in the Sitka lineup.

However, with the lack of wind blocking ability once the winds get around 5-7 mph it will rob all your heat and you will freeze.

It’s great for dead calm days but completely useless 90% of the season here in the northeast.

2 totally diff pieces. I'm in west TN so temps are similar. The fanatic lite jacket is ok in 45-50° if the wind isn't blowing and you have a good base layer. If the winds blowing hang it up. The stratus isn't too loud in my opinion. Its a little more stiff tho. If you plan to get a fanatic vest, my advice would be to get the equinox hoody(its really a jacket) and pair with the vest when it gets too cool
I just got this hoody and though I haven't hunted with it, it seems like its going to be a great addition.

I live and hunt middle TN also. I love my stratus set. Perfect system for this part of the country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im happy with my stratus set. Windstopper makes a huge difference for me. I've never used a fanatic lite vest but the fantastic vest is great for that additional core heat on cold days.

You will want the stratus, it is stiff which people translate to noise. The Fanatic lite would only work if you layered a mountain or jetstream vest because of the wind stopper . That won’t help with your arms and legs though.
If you have a specific question Sitka related PM me.

OGB

Seems like the Stratus Jacket is pretty much the consensus pick, especially if adding the Fanatic Vest for late season hunting. I'm going to try it on at Bass Pro tomorrow and will probably make my decision then. Thank you all so, so much for the insight!

I have both the Fanatic Lite and Stratus sets. Had the Lite set for a couple years and got the Stratus set last year........didn't even use the Lite set at all in 2019 and will sell it. Stand hunting for whitetails......you need a wind blocking layer and like enkriss said, Lite set is useless 90% of the time. I use an Incinerator muff for my hands and an Equinox set when warmer than 65 degrees. I used to use an HBS suit over the Lite set and changed to the better/wind blocking Arctic Shield suit a couple years ago but didn't even use that last year with the Stratus set with a North Face Thermoball jacket and a couple base layers layered under the Stratus jacket.

Back