• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

2020-21 Goals

I've got a few this year, but with a newborn at home, I'm not sure what my time in the woods will look like.

1. Kill another decent (3+ year old) buck with my bow
2. Kill from my new saddle (deer, hog, coyote, etc.)
3. Make my first bow kill from the ground (deer, hog, coyote, etc.)
4. Hunt with somebody new

Stretch goal of the season: Accompany my buddy on his KY public land elk hunt in bow season (pending a sleeping infant) and help him locate elk while deer hunting for myself, which could knock out several of the stated goals at once if I'm successful

This was last years(2019-2020) goals:

1.)FILL THE FREEZER(only had one deer last year the wife got her first buck) FAILED!!
2.)KILL MY BEST BUCK(I've killed a nice 6pt years ago dog hunting and a 7pt 2 years ago. Would like a 8pt or better. FAILED!!
3.)GO IN BLIND AND KILL A DEER.(Ive scouted a good bit but most of my hunts will be going in with cyber scouting only.) FAILED!!
4.) KILL MY FIRST HOG.(Either with bow/gun, doesn't matter to me.) FAILED!!
5.) TAG OUT ON SQUIRRELS FOR A DAY.(We get 8/day) FAILED!!
6.) KILL MY FIRST TURKEY.(Only went once with my dad years ago.) FAILED!!

Goals for this year(2020-2021):

1.) Kill A Deer.
I've had years like that. Last season was tough around here with the floods and warm winter. Buck up!

I'm honestly not sure what my hunting time will look like this year what with my house situation and my old man's surgery. I plan on throttling back a bit in order to do whatever he can do with his shoulder. He'll be lucky if he can shoulder and fire a gun. Canoe rides, sleeping bags, and climbing trees are probably a no-go.

That being said, I plan on doing as much hunting as I can in the black belt region a couple of hours north of me. I was blown away by how much better the hunting was there. I'm working on getting the ole suburban setup for overnight trips. I also should have at least one and hopefully 2 boat, motor, trailer setups which will extend my range when hunting by boat. The canoe/kayaks will still get used, but it'll be more for short paddles down water you can't get a trailer into or float shooting ducks.

Speaking of which, I want a green head on the wall in a terrible way. They are scarce in alabama, but I think I have a plan...

So:

Overnight blackbelt hunts

More water access

Kill a mallard drake

Plant/food source identification. This bit me last year in December when I couldn’t figure out what food the deer transitioned onto.

-First bow kill
-First saddle kill
-First public land kill
-First out of state hunt/kill - leaning towards a late season archery trip to KY right now
-Continue to appreciate my time in the woods to the fullest as well as the brotherhood it cultivates with the few guys I hunt with regularly
-Get my wife to join me on a hunt for the first time

Finish kitchen and bathroom remodel so i can get to my saddle and bow. Then goalbis to kill first saddle deer. Take my kids squirrel hunting

Just looking to get in the woods made a career change over last years hunting season and shoot anything out of a saddle.

-Safe and enjoyable 1st ever saddle hunt
-Harvest whitetail from saddle (xbow, muzzleloader and rifle) separate trips
-Share and expose the saddle experience with someone new.

1. take 2 P&Y bucks
2. improve my plant ID abilities
3. first public land buck
4. get my 13yo son his first deer

I've always liked writing down my goals. It then allows me to go back and compare my goals to what happened and reflect on where my goals too lofty, too humble, etc. So here goes:

1) Be prepared. With a new boy due July ten, I want to make every opportunity I have in the woods count. Trail cam - traditional and cellular - are out on private and public land. I have been shooting my bow almost daily, sometimes twice a day. Going traditional this year so I am trying to make sure I know what's what.
2) get my 9 year old on more squirrels; dang that boy loves squirrel hunting
3) get my 9 year old on his first deer either with his crossbow or .243
4) get my first deer with antlers. I am shooting a traditional bow - either recurve or longbow - got three does last season, need some antlers. I have several on cam on both public and private, I am just hoping they want to walk in front of my arrow
5) kill something from my JX3
6) take a southern appalachian no bait black bear
7) have fun
8) introduce a new person to either hunting or wild game meat
I am sure I am forgetting something. But I think that;s a decent start

Definitely good to step back for a minute and the think about objectives. This is my first year in a saddle - so #1 is 1st deer from a saddle.
I struggle to find bucks here in NH, so #2 is 1st NH buck with a bow.

I wish I was a headlight on a north-bound train

Still have yet to punch a tag with my bow. Usually end up resorting to the smoke pole. So my standards are low. Kill any deer with my bow. One out of my saddle would be a bonus.

This thread gets me jacked up.

1. Kill my first bear (no bait)
2. Kill out of my saddle (first season having one)
3. Improve my woodmanship and learn for the future
4. Hunt more public
5. Get a triple trophy slam (buck, bear, gobbler)

Bonuses:
-Find some ginseng
-shoot some crows, squirrels and coyotes (a hog would be nice, pretty sparse in my area)
-maybe a backpack/overnight hunt
-maybe an out of state hunt (AL, TN, NC, SC guys hit me up)

In no order
-Help a couple young saddle hunters I know get on mature bucks.
-Help my daughter get her first archery deer.
-Organize a good snowy later season muzzloader deer drive w/ a bunch of friends
-Shoot my first black bear
-Take someone out hunting for the first time.
-Have more than one good story to share from Deer season.
-Travel our to Missouri & hunt with my Dad!

Back