• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tactacam Reveal

First cell cam is going to have lots of issues. That price point seems great for the consumer ,but also seems like they are using the cheapest parts available. Seems to good to be true . The fact that it states 24 mp is concerning. It most likely has a 12mp CMOS sensor and relies on interpolation. It is a marketing tactic usual employed by cheaper manufacturers. Once Trailcampro.com gets a hold of it we will know how it really performs .
I think it'd be great if Tactacam uses a 12MP CMOS; there are very very few CMOS in trail cams over 5MP and most of them exist in the dual lens / 4K regular cam market - IE DS4K, the Bushnell Core DS, etc. I think it's more likely that it is a 5-6MP CMOS at most. You can usually interpolate up to between 4-5X the native CMOS. Eventually you run out of dots/pixels to guess on.

This also presents challenges for the sent images being full size as noted by the team member - the file size would be so massive that at 200, 500, or 1,000 images comparatively, the amount of data consumption would seem unrealistic for the plan price point. A buy-up option might solve that, but still, even at that point, it's a multiple jump in data consumption. I couldn't see how a standard transmitted image could be sent regularly at full file size for the cost basis. I am hoping so...because that will sell like crazy.

Looking at some of the pics...they tend to hint at 640x480, which is pretty typical transmission size for entry level cell cams. I'm hoping we get confirmation I don't have it right!!!!

I think it'd be great if Tactacam uses a 12MP CMOS; there are very very few CMOS in trail cams over 5MP and most of them exist in the dual lens / 4K regular cam market - IE DS4K, the Bushnell Core DS, etc. I think it's more likely that it is a 5-6MP CMOS at most. You can usually interpolate up to between 4-5X the native CMOS. Eventually you run out of dots/pixels to guess on.

This also presents challenges for the sent images being full size as noted by the team member - the file size would be so massive that at 200, 500, or 1,000 images comparatively, the amount of data consumption would seem unrealistic for the plan price point. A buy-up option might solve that, but still, even at that point, it's a multiple jump in data consumption. I couldn't see how a standard transmitted image could be sent regularly at full file size for the cost basis. I am hoping so...because that will sell like crazy.

Looking at some of the pics...they tend to hint at 640x480, which is pretty typical transmission size for entry level cell cams. I'm hoping we get confirmation I don't have it right!!!!
I agree on the data plans, i dont see them sending full quality. The plans are very comparable to spypoints plans, and spypoints's HD picture is mediocre at best. Lots of hype around this camera that i feel it will never live up to. The cell cam i run uses a 12mp CMOS sensor and also sends full quality pictures and video to your phone. But then again it is not a $120 cell camera.

I don't put a ton of weight in the the MP ratings anyhow; the quality of the CMOS is what matters the most. For example, Reconyx uses a 3MP in many of its newer cams, yet nobody looks at it as says it's a garbage image quality.

I'm excited for another prospect in the entry level market; I just want to have more confidence in the actual facts and features being realized. My experience has taught me some of these facts may be hard to achieve; that said it could still be a strong performer if it doesn't hit those targets, too.

I will say the night images I have seen at least confirmed from the SD card look pretty crisp.

I don't put a ton of weight in the the MP ratings anyhow; the quality of the CMOS is what matters the most. For example, Reconyx uses a 3MP in many of its newer cams, yet nobody looks at it as says it's a garbage image quality.

I'm excited for another prospect in the entry level market; I just want to have more confidence in the actual facts and features being realized. My experience has taught me some of these facts may be hard to achieve; that said it could still be a strong performer if it doesn't hit those targets, too.

I will say the night images I have seen at least confirmed from the SD card look pretty crisp.
Just because a camera isn't $400 doesn't mean it's entry level. Maybe the owners feel that trail cameras are inflated across the industry and want people to have a high quality camera that isn't going to break the bank. A high price on a camera doesn't mean it isn't made with high quality internals. Just saying.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I've never been a big camera guy, but this has my interest.

What I really want is something like a gopro that I can leave in the woods in a place where I almost hung a stand, but decided to press on. I always wonder what's happening at those spots. Would be cool to be able to pull a small camera or two on your way back out and review timelapse photos to see what you missed.
That’s kind of the way a friend of my hunts his lease. We will go to a preset and he’ll get a message to his phone showing a nice buck at another location haha.

He has like 6-8 cameras so it’s almost like he is running deer security. Bill, what was that on camera 4!

I agree on the MP rating It sure is boasting alot for an entry level camera. Will be interesting to see how they manage the server side of this. Spypoint came out with a cheap cell camera and it had massive problems. I think the Trail camera market is tough one to jump into.

Just because a camera isn't $400 doesn't mean it's entry level. Maybe the owners feel that trail cameras are inflated across the industry and want people to have a high quality camera that isn't going to break the bank. A high price on a camera doesn't mean it isn't made with high quality internals. Just saying.

I think a $120 cell camera is entry level. Price and quality typcally go hand in hand, yes there are a few exceptions. High quality components and software come at a price though.

Entry level meaning price; generally speaking performance and price have a relationship in economics though.

Are you able to confirm that the Reveal is sending full size images as part of its standard transmission? If so, that is spectacular.

Entry level meaning price; generally speaking performance and price have a relationship in economics though.

Are you able to confirm that the Reveal is sending full size images as part of its standard transmission? If so, that is spectacular.
Ah I got you. I am waiting on a response from the man himself.

I just noticed a couple of youtube videos posted today about the cam but have yet to find it actually for sale anywhere.

You can buy the Verizon model on the website and they are supposed to be available on Amazon at any time.

You can buy the Verizon version now on the website. But won’t ship for about 2 weeks by the sound of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This has my attention as well. Another reason to shop at DanO’s house of ill repute. I used a Spypoint last year and it worked well but compressed images are not great unless the deer was real close - like inside 30’. It also missed triggers - I watched over a small clover patch it covered in gun season last year and saw deer move through and no pic. Right now I have it set as a pseudo security camera on the camper we have up there but it has not connected to the cell network over the past 3 weeks suddenly. All my properties are 2+hours away so a reliable set of these would be killer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got mine in the mail today......set-up was easy took a few pictures at the house with it quick. Hope to get it in the woods tomorrow we shall see.

My buddy has a couple of these pics look outstanding and they were easy to setup that’s for sure. I plan on picking up a couple when the att version becomes available

Back