• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hawk Hangout Tree Seat

Flgunner

So I been looking at different platforms and decided to buy the hawk hangout tree seat to use as a platform. It’s 16”x11” and weighs 6 lbs, it’s twice the weight of a tethrd Predator but slightly bigger. It’s rated to 300 lbs. I got it for $47 off of Eders.com. I know it’s probably been discussed at some point but figured I’d share in case someone is looking to save some money over spending $180 bucks for a platform and don’t mind the little extra weight.

People have used them before but there is issues with getting them tight enough to the tree. Hopefully you have luck with yours

Hopefully so. I plan on using a over center boat buckle. Used them on climbing sticks with no issues of not getting tight or staying tight. Went back to rope mod to cut more weight but figure one buckle ain’t gonna kill me lol.

I tried to do the same thing by "saving money" and going with the heavier cheaper sticks... I now have two sets of sticks because the cheap ones were nothing close to what you want and would take more money to make them nice than just buying the nicer sticks in the first place. Save your money and invest in quality products made for the job or do some heavy DIY work if you trust yourself. Personally I am a DIY nut and made my saddle and platform myself but unless you have enough pieces laying around it would be cheaper to just buy one ready to go.

Can we get a sticky for this topic? Seems like it gets brought up a lot and would save guys $40 that could go towards another platform/ROS.
Things to be posted when they join
  • Phantom is newer and "more comfortable" than the Mantis, then list all other options
  • No, the Hawk SEAT doesn't make a good PLATFORM
  • sticks- you truly get what you pay for

What makes it so bad of a platform? Not being an a$$ just figured I’d ask. It’s heavier but not much as far as total weight and the dimensions are bigger than Tethrd predator and rates for 300 lbs? I’m new to the forum but not to hunting and diy. Not jabbing just asking. I stood on the seat of a hawk hang on thats the same and it was fine. Comfort is more about footwear and positioning.

Search (upper right corner) "Hawk Hangout" and you will have all the answers you are looking for... someone just posted one with some mods that made it "usable", but again as others have posted, you get what you pay for... you will likely invest more than you are expecting getting it to sort-of work, and still be left with a sub-par platform and wanting an upgrade.

Search (upper right corner) "Hawk Hangout" and you will have all the answers you are looking for... someone just posted one with some mods that made it "usable", but again as others have posted, you get what you pay for... you will likely invest more than you are expecting getting it to sort-of work, and still be left with a sub-par platform and wanting an upgrade.
I’ll look it up

Not stable, side pressure will make it move or twist, will sag under pressure, even with ratchet straps, heavy.....

I found an older gorilla tree seat for $5 at a garage sale last year. It has a double post rather than a single and two square V shaped brackets that are supposed to grab the tree. while it looks like the perfect size- I can’t get the thing to grip the tree tightly because a square post has no teeth and the seat is not stable enough to stand on- no teeth to grip into bark like LW or Hawk. Glad I only spent $5 on it

It never hurts to try anything as long as its safe. The biggest issue is that it pulls away from the tree at the top from what I've read. Yep I had the same idea. Some have worked hard on them and made them work after much modding. Go for it! You might can show us some tips that worked for you. Good luck!

I think I have done all I can in attempts to make it work- it doesn’t have the capability to grip the bark of a tree.. a ratchet is too loud and defeats the purpose..

Back