• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

How do you decide what method?

I'm still very new to the mobile hunting game, but here's my plan for the upcoming season (along with my reasoning):
Known trees I have time to prep: Screw-in steps or pre-drilled holes for bolts (easiest and quietest for multiple hunts)
Known trees I don't want to drill into (oaks, fruit trees on private; everything on public): 3 Hawk Heliums with a 2-step aider on the bottom (heavy to carry, but pretty easy to use)
Unknown trees on smaller private parcels: Bolts and Tree Hopper hand drill (I assume I'm more likely to hunt the same tree multiple times on a smaller private parcel, so having it pre-drilled for the next time is worth the additional hand-drilling work vs. sticks)
Unknown trees on larger private parcels: 1 Helium (w/ aider), hand drill, and about 10 bolts (still pretty easy to carry a long distance and can easily get 12-15 feet by drilling only above where my Helium can reach)
Super quick hunts at new spots: 2 Heliums (w/ aider) (light and fast, can get to 12 feet or so very quickly and quietly)

Again, I'm no expert, so I'm all ears if others have intel/better experiences or options to share--correct away!

I just came back from the park trying the tether/aider combination climb. I got about one foot off the ground and didn't feel right. To advance my tether I had to hold onto my girth hitch around the tree without getting my hands caught under the rope, stand in the aider on one foot, hold onto the tree with my other two hands I was not using and pull in the slack on my MadrockSafeguard while using my other hands to keep the girth hitch from sliding down the tree. I don't have enough hands or enough balance on one foot. I need more hands or more feet. This is not as easy as SRT. :D

I made some SRT climbing videos here. It is super easy and secure.

I think your answer is Yes.. but I think you will be less sweaty and noisy if you practice one, maybe 2 until , well, you can do in the dark,quietly without sweating bullets.

I’m pretty basic since knee replacement. 4-20” Hawk Helium’s with a 1 step self made aider on first 2 sticks and a moveable aider for other 2 if needed. It works and is simple. No need to think of which method I want to use ever time

For me bolts aren't an option. We have quite a bit of private land and also hunt public. On private I love the idea of bolts or screw ins for presets, but we do selective logging when the trees are of appropriate size and screwing in steps and/or forgetting about a certain tree wouldn't be idea for logging. So, In my opinion I just stick to sticks (no pun intended). Fairly quick and easy to set up and always mobile. I use 4 cut down LW sticks with cable aiders. There are so many other methods out there, but this one has proven to be efficient and effective.

Back