• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Anyone switch back to using a whisker biscuit?

Kmark77

At the end of last season, I decided to make the switch to a drop away rest. I'd been shooting a whisker biscuit since picking up archery and thought the benefits of a drop away were worth the investment. Since making the switch to the rest my accuracy has gone out the window. Where I was hitting 4" groups up to 40yds, I can barely keep my arrows within 10". Ive had multiple buddies watch my form and anchor points and they have seen no problems, even some of the guys at the local shop have watched me and seen no issues. The rest has moved multiple times throughout the summer and Ive taken it to the local shop to get tuned without improvement. With hunting season just around the corner, Im feeling like I should cut my losses and move back to the whisker biscuit.

What do people recommend? Have anyone else had this trouble with drop away rests?

I haven’t had that problem since I switched to a drop-away, but I say you should switch back and shoot what you’re comfortable with. If you had great groups with it before, your switch might’ve been fixing a “problem” that didn’t exist. For me, the ultimate test on gear is objective performance, but my subjective feelings about it (and therefore my confidence in it) definitely plays a substantial factor too.

At the end of last season, I decided to make the switch to a drop away rest. I'd been shooting a whisker biscuit since picking up archery and thought the benefits of a drop away were worth the investment. Since making the switch to the rest my accuracy has gone out the window. Where I was hitting 4" groups up to 40yds, I can barely keep my arrows within 10". Ive had multiple buddies watch my form and anchor points and they have seen no problems, even some of the guys at the local shop have watched me and seen no issues. The rest has moved multiple times throughout the summer and Ive taken it to the local shop to get tuned without improvement. With hunting season just around the corner, Im feeling like I should cut my losses and move back to the whisker biscuit.

What do people recommend? Have anyone else had this trouble with drop away rests?
I was having the same issues back before I knew anything about archery. Come to fin out the guys at my local shop were brain dead and didn't have a Fn clue what they were doing...

Make sure you aren't torquing the bow and watch a few vids on how to properly set up a drop away. Make sure it is timed right so your fletchings aren't hitting and double check everything for tightness.

I had the exact opposite problem. Constant nock right high tear no matter how much tuning was involved. Come to find out it’s my wrist and an old injury. When I release my wrist naturally torques to the left and the split second contact the arrow has with the whiskers was enough to throw it off. I switched to an hha virtus drop away(which I highly recommend) and immediately my nock tears were gone, I can shoot bareshaft bulletholes at 20 yards now. I’d say make sure your drop away is timed correctly. Also, if you can film yourself and then slow down the footage that might help, that’s how I caught myself torquing my bow.

I tried the drop away rest and went back to the biscuit because I like the capture of the arrow much better. I lost a chance at a real nice doe when my shaft fell off as I started to draw. It was entirely my fault, but I tend to try to eliminate any problems I can that conflict with my success. I find no difference in my accuracy within my 35 yard self limited shot range.

You should start with checking the center shot on the berger hole as well as your arrow angle with with a nocked arrow and the rest fully deployed.
If that looks good check the timing and insure the rest is fully deployed at full draw and that you have sufficient clearance around your vanes.

I had a similar problem last year. Timing was off and vanes were making light contact with rest. Look at your vanes. Notice any strange marks or streaks? Logos or brand name disappearing from being rubbed off?

I had a similar problem last year. Timing was off and vanes were making light contact with rest. Look at your vanes. Notice any strange marks or streaks? Logos or brand name disappearing from being rubbed off?
You can also put lipstick on the edges of your vanes to see it they are contacting the rest, cables etc.

A correctly tuned drop away will be more accurate than a whisker biscuit. I've had issues in the past with vane contact on the drop away due to "bounce up" of the drop away rest. It was a cheap QAD hunter rest and I got rid of it. I've gone to a trophy taker smack down pro lock up rest and I've had no issues at all. It creates a cage so an arrow can't fall out of it and once dialed it is a perfect shot. Whisker biscuits are capable, but they ruin fletching and lose accuracy when going out to further distances in my opinion. Hope this helps!

I have hunted whisker biscuits in the past and the sound of the brush against the arrow shaft is loud when it is still in the deer woods. Even with cotton inside the biscuit it is still more noisy than a dtop away with moleskin

Contemplating a switch the other way: Have a whisker biscuit, trying to tune heavy arrows, and cannot get it straight but have run out of adjustment room.

I'm shooting bare shafts (sirius apollo, 300 spine, 28.75") with 200grains up front, and I get 4" nock right arrows in my target. I've slide the biscuit as far left as I can without improvement. Yesterday I worked on intentionally torquing the bow - rotating the riser to the left via grip and that straightened some of the arrows out a bit, but now they're hitting so far left that I don't think I can track my sight all the way over to compensate.

At this point I'm going to try sliding that sucker back to the right contrary to what I'm being told to do, to see if I'm being told wrong, my bow is just bizarro, I have unfixable torque issues, whatever. I just need to know the range of what's possible now, because doing what is supposed to work, isn't.

If you have a nice rest, I'll trade you a 2-week old CBE biscuit ;)

A correctly tuned drop away will be more accurate than a whisker biscuit. I've had issues in the past with vane contact on the drop away due to "bounce up" of the drop away rest. It was a cheap QAD hunter rest and I got rid of it. I've gone to a trophy taker smack down pro lock up rest and I've had no issues at all. It creates a cage so an arrow can't fall out of it and once dialed it is a perfect shot. Whisker biscuits are capable, but they ruin fletching and lose accuracy when going out to further distances in my opinion. Hope this helps!
Do you mean QAP? Thats the drop away I am currently using. One of the shooters at my local range said some of my arrows have a big fishtail to them. I wonder if thats my problem.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

Do you mean QAP? Thats the drop away I am currently using. One of the shooters at my local range said some of my arrows have a big fishtail to them. I wonder if thats my problem.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk
Nope. QAD. What rest do you have? model?

I started using a Whisker Biscuit 15 years ago and don’t plan on ever switching to anything else. Absolutely the best option for me for hunting. It’s pretty much bulletproof and my accuracy is excellent. No reason to change. I hunted with mine in every weather condition imaginable and it never failed me. I cannot say the same about my drop away I used before that.

I have hunted whisker biscuits in the past and the sound of the brush against the arrow shaft is loud when it is still in the deer woods. Even with cotton inside the biscuit it is still more noisy than a dtop away with moleskin
Use car wax on your arrow shafts. Sounds goofy but it works great. Smoothes the rough surface and eliminates the noise.

Contemplating a switch the other way: Have a whisker biscuit, trying to tune heavy arrows, and cannot get it straight but have run out of adjustment room.

I'm shooting bare shafts (sirius apollo, 300 spine, 28.75") with 200grains up front, and I get 4" nock right arrows in my target. I've slide the biscuit as far left as I can without improvement. Yesterday I worked on intentionally torquing the bow - rotating the riser to the left via grip and that straightened some of the arrows out a bit, but now they're hitting so far left that I don't think I can track my sight all the way over to compensate.

At this point I'm going to try sliding that sucker back to the right contrary to what I'm being told to do, to see if I'm being told wrong, my bow is just bizarro, I have unfixable torque issues, whatever. I just need to know the range of what's possible now, because doing what is supposed to work, isn't.

If you have a nice rest, I'll trade you a 2-week old CBE biscuit ;)

Had a similar problem. Ended up needing longer arrows. Luckily I only cut 4 of twelve to mess around with. Left the other 8 full length, squared up and glued inserts fully expecting to cut them down little by little but after nock tuning was able to get all 8 flying true out to 20 yards. Then just fletched them up. Weird having arows so long but dang they shoot nice.

I always had a drop away but had nothing but issues with my integrated qad. In frustration tried an old Carolina archery products deluxe and loved it. Had an issue with my heavier arrow occasionally falling down in the whiskers. A dab of goop fixed that.

Back